Godzilla Minus One

Started by judd, July 13, 2023, 12:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Quote from: judd on July 23, 2023, 04:10:10 PMUsually (there are exceptions) the more serious Toho films depict Godzilla as a force if nature people have to accept and live with.  Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Even so I'm afraid Godzilla has acquired a touch of hubris over the decades. That should't though be evident yet with the movie set in the late 1940's.

;)

Collecting! It's what I do!

judd

The official trailer has been posted.  "Is this Godzilla?"

Absolutely.  I'd like to believe Ishiro Honda would be proud.  I wish my mother was here to see it.  I'll have to watch it for her.  We saw the original film at Cornell Cinema.

The fan reaction has been overwhelming positive.  This movie is what the fans have dreamed of.  Was this trailer for real?

Memphremagog

DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Hepcat

Yay, now that is Godzilla! The one for which I've waited for decades. I mean even the original wasn't shown just stomping on people as he strolled along boulevards destroying everything in sight. Worse yet was when he started to be portrayed with empathy. I want a destructive uncaring lizard!

;D

jackwilliam11

Quote from: judd on July 23, 2023, 04:10:10 PM
The big g.

As I see it.  Usually (there are exceptions) the more serious Toho films depict Godzilla as a force if nature people have to accept and live with.  Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. 

The American productions tend to show Godzilla as an animal.
Your observation about the differing portrayals of Godzilla in Japanese Toho films versus American productions is quite accurate. The way Godzilla is depicted often reflects cultural and thematic differences in storytelling. Here's a more detailed response to your observation:

Japanese Toho Films:

• Godzilla is a force of nature, symbolizing the consequences of human actions.
  • Emphasize coexistence and finding ways to mitigate damage.
  • Messages of hope and resilience amidst despai

r.

American Productions:

• Godzilla is portrayed as a giant animal.
  • Focus on action, military responses, and defeating the monster.
  • Human-centric perspective with less emphasis on broader themes.

Mike Scott

Welcome to the UMA, jackwilliam11.  :)
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Lunkenstein

Wow, that trailer looks great. Can't wait to see this.
Paul

Hepcat

judd

The film was screened at a Japanese film festival.  The early reviews of the film are highly positive.

judd

A new japanese tv spot commercial with new footage has been released on YouTube.  It's half a minute long.

judd

I posted in the toy thread I received my Japanese theater exclusive Godzilla Minus One figure today.  I'm considering going out of town to see the movie in 4dx.  I've never seen a film in that format before and we'll it's Godzilla.

Rex fury

My son is coming over to my neck of the woods to see it. Unfortunately my local theater isn't showing it,  so we're gonna go to the " big city" to see it on the big screen. We have a tradition of going to see new Godzilla films together. I'm looking forward to both his visit and the film.
RF

Memphremagog

I saw this last night and I have to say that it is probably one  of the best Kaiju films ever done. Could  be second only to the original GOJIRA to showcasing the human element of Godzilla's attack and the aftermaths. The Big G himself is not overused and when he appears, it is during some amazing scenes,,certainly destined to be a high note in the Godzilla film series. and well worth seeing in the cinema for the full effect
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Rex fury

We saw it last night too! It was an amazing film both for the portrayal of people affected by Godzilla and the special effects. I grew up watching the 1960s films with toy tanks that shot sparks for gunfire. Watching the special effects in this new  film made the whole thing feel real!
RF

Hepcat

I've been disappointed in the Godzilla remakes over the last 25 years because they've been either cheesy low budget offerings or because they didn't portray the real Godzilla as established by the canonical original film. Should I understand that this Godzilla is true to the original without any elements that would make me say "What the hell? Since when can Godzilla do that (e.g. shoot energy beams up from the spikes on his back)?"

???