Godzilla Minus One

Started by judd, July 13, 2023, 12:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Memphremagog

Quote from: Hepcat on December 02, 2023, 05:06:11 PM
I've been disappointed in the Godzilla remakes over the last 25 years because they've been either cheesy low budget offerings or because they didn't portray the real Godzilla as established by the canonical original film. Should I understand that this Godzilla is true to the original without any elements that would make me say "What the hell? Since when can Godzilla do that (e.g. shoot energy beams up from the spikes on his back)?"

???

This Godzilla is more toned down than those versions of previous years, his only real powers are  those of a rapid healing ability and armored skin that is impervious to the conventional weaponry during the 1940's(which is the decade that the film is set in), however,, he is able to be injured and take severe damage with sufficient explosive force. As for his atomic breath, he had to recharge it after using, rather than having an infinite supply of radioactive energy..so I would say that this version is closer to the original than any other previous version
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Hepcat

Collecting! It's what I do!

judd

The trailer for Kong Godzilla New Empire just dropped.  Looks like a Hollywood action movie.

I'll see Minus One Tues in 4dx. 

Hepcat

Quote from: Memphremagog on December 03, 2023, 12:33:20 AMThis Godzilla is more toned down than those versions of previous years, his only real powers are  those of a rapid healing ability and armored skin that is impervious to the conventional weaponry during the 1940's(which is the decade that the film is set in), however,, he is able to be injured and take severe damage with sufficient explosive force. As for his atomic breath, he had to recharge it after using, rather than having an infinite supply of radioactive energy..so I would say that this version is closer to the original than any other previous version

How big does Godzilla Minus One appear to be compared with previous appearances?

???

Memphremagog

Quote from: Hepcat on December 04, 2023, 04:39:32 PM
How big does Godzilla Minus One appear to be compared with previous appearances?

???

Somewhere between the 50 and 80 meter range..
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

judd

I believe Godzilla Minus One is 51 meters high.

judd

I saw the movie in the 4dx format.  That was terrifying and exciting. The characters in the film are not Hollywood type characters.  They are fully developed people and you can relate to them and their experiences and emotions.  There is action throughout the film but it isn't really an action film.  The climax is very exciting. 

The 4dx effects were used effectively and not as a gimmick.  Some 3d movies are gimmicky and others use the 3d to great effect.  The 4dx enhanced the film.  The seats moved fluidly in the scenes on the water and on the plane. 

There was a 4dx trailer shown prior to the movie you can see on YouTube of a couple in a action scene where they fight off some guys and ride a motorcycle.  I was knocked around in my seat like a ping pong ball.  I could smell the food being cooked in the scene.  Water sprays in your face, strobe lights flash during gunfire, smoke machines activate during explosions.  Air jets hit your neck with air, wind machines blow in the theater and water drops fall from above.  It's an experience. 

The beekeeper and Aquaman trailers were shown on 4dx the other trailers weren't. 

The effects all worked perfectly.  When Godzilla roared the fans blew air.  The seats shook when he stomped.  The strobe lights flashed during gunfire.  There's a shot of Godzilla overhead and the rain drops dripped when the ceiling.  I felt the air jets on my neck when he whipped his tail.  Water sprayed on my face during the boat scenes.  I'm not sure about the smell feature.  I thought I could smell sea water at one point but it might have been the fans.  Smoke emerged for the atomic breath.

The effects were only used for the action scenes and not during the exposition scenes.

The story is very emotional and I cried at the end.  You're not supposed to cry for a Godzilla film.  I really related to the characters.

Seeing the movie was an experience.  I recommend it.  I saw it at a large shopping mall.  I went into a store there which sells imported snacks.  They had many chips, candy and weird varieties of Pepsi from Japan.  I didn't buy any since I was in a hurry.  I did go into FYE and purchased a wood poster board of the Godzilla 1984 movie poster for $25.

My only complaint was having to sit through a half an hour of ads and trailers before the movie started. 

After being tussled around in my theater seat I had spaghetti legs and it took me a moment to get my legs to walk right.  When I went to be I could feel the effects of being bounced around in the chair.  It didn't hurt but the feeling was still there.

judd

One more thing.  When Godzilla snapped his jaw, I could feel a tap hitting my back

Hepcat

Quote from: judd on December 06, 2023, 02:25:59 PMThe story is very emotional and I cried at the end.  You're not supposed to cry for a Godzilla film.

I always cry in Godzilla movies - particularly in the ones where he doesn't emerge the victor.

:'(

judd

They also had a plastic wire on the bottom of the seat which swats your legs at different times during the action.

Mike Scott

Quote from: judd on December 06, 2023, 07:19:33 PM
They also had a plastic wire on the bottom of the seat which swats your legs at different times during the action.

Was that during a torture scene?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

LundyAfterMidnight

I just saw it this week. I'm perfectly content with Godzilla just roaring & stomping about, but then Toho puts a moving story behind it. Shin Godzilla was great, this was better. Toho's on a roll!
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

Anton Phibes

Godzilla Minus 1 is a masterpiece. It did something with Godzilla that hasn't been done since 1954 imho. I won't spoilt it for anyone though.  I will buy a blu ray should it be available.

judd

I'm only guessing but given the past history of other Godzilla movie DVD releases, there will be no extras on the Godzilla Minus One DVD release.

judd

There's a new japanese commercial for McDonald's featuring Godzilla.  I didn't understand a word of it but it's fun to watch.

https://youtu.be/kaFtgdb5vcA