Mail Order Monsters

Started by fmofmpls, February 25, 2008, 05:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raycastile

I had both the Frank and the skeleton as a kid.  They hung next to my bed.  Even then, I thought it was strange to have a poster made of plastic.

I'd love to have both posters again, but I'm afraid of being snookered by repros.
Raymond Castile

Dr.Terror

Terry please keep us updated on your items. iId love to see the 7ft Frank. I've always wanted one of those, repro or not.   I want to make sure he's green before I order one.
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

fmofmpls

Will do Jason. Who knows what I'll receive? I'm as curious as anyone. The anticipation is fun though. Reminds me of what it was actually like back when kiddies ordered from Captain Company and the like. "When's it coming Mom"? 
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

fmofmpls

Here was one helluva deal. 7 balloons .. er, I mean monster toys all for $1.00! And they're from outer space no less. From 1 1/2' to 5' tall! Wow! Do you think anyone out there still has this original set of mail order balloons? I mean MONSTERS! I'd love to see the original package and product for said inflatable monster toys.

fmofmpls

Today I received my Monster Ghost repro from House Of Unusual. Like any good mail order monster, the chase ends up being better than the catch. I guess this would be a compliment?

Here is what $2.75 gets you. Not an exact replica, but still close enough to have some good old fashioned cheap fun. The contents, while not precise in their accuracy in any way, are still able to provide you with cheap chills and thrills.

I spoke with Eddie Guevara, the owner of the House Of The Unusual, at length the other day. He seems to be very educated regarding the world of mail order monsters. He was likable too. I look forward to speaking with him some more regarding this chintzy corner of collectibles. He has many stories to tell as well as some great photos that he's willing to share. 

To be continued ..

Quote from: fmofmpls on February 25, 2008, 05:52:28 PM
I sure love this kind of stuff. Does anyone have this item? If I recall correctly, didn't this Monster Ghost fetch around $10,000.00 on eBay? Am I outta of mind, or did this actually happen? There ought a be a law against such things! It's a balloon man, a white balloon!

Dr.Terror

Terry, what happened to the 7ft Frank??
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

fmofmpls

Hello Jason. Yup. Got that one too. I'll post pics of that hopefully later tonight.

Dr.Terror

Oh goodie goodie!  Can't wait to see it.

houseoftheunusual

Hello I am Eddie Guevara the owner of House of the unusual. Yes I have tried for many years to offer some of the original products, but due to the high cost I have not. Since the age of 7 I have bought stuff through the mail. I bought the Polaris nuclear submarine and kept it in the box it came in, because I could not build it since I lived in an apt in New York city. I also have the original 7 feet monster ghost. Which I posted on ebay for a crazy amount of $20,000 dollars...latter took it off before the end of the auction. Why would I do a crazy thing like this because I wanted the world to know who I was and show what I had. I gave a chance for you guys to see what the actual item looked like. You have pictures on this site of my ghost don't you?...Let me state this "I NEVER WANTED TO SELL MY GHOST"... It was the first novelty I sent away for. It has been in my possesion since 1971...That is why I used such a high price I did not want anyone to buy it. I was just testing the waters, and it worked!!! 837 hits and 27 watchers!!! I started getting floods of email asking me for pictures and so on... The reason I have made Items similar, but not the same is because I started advertising in boys life and popular science to a new generation. R. Stoner why would say that about me???  You know the reason why I took so long.  Remember it was a trade not something you bought from me. If you have a storage as big as I do, trying to find something like that sucks. Remember I have a family and needed alot of time to find this stuff. I have to say one thing I regret selling a total of 9 Frankensteins and 7 skeletons to people on ebay. Why? because now I lost. A lot of people now have one so they don't need me to show them.  My story is simple in 1983 when I got married I wanted to start a mail-order business. The business I knew the most was magic and jokes. I did a extensive search and met with the original owner of the Fun Factory, one of the famous comic book ad companies. Fun Factory advertised in comic books from 1969 to 1982. Csi on TV used a copy of a Fun Factory ad and changed the name. I should sue since I own what that company was. Anyway in 1992 or 1993 I ran a full page Fun Factory ad in DC comics look for it. You will know the ad because you will see the ghost in it. Guys look in DC comics between 1989 to 1993 in case I am wrong with the actual year. I got such a great response, but due to the cost at $7,500 per month I stopped. In the year of 1989 I met with the owner of Honor House and sat with him for 2 hours. Guys he gave me the stuff I needed to finish my collection!!! I am not trying to be a show off in this.  I just want to start a forum where people like you and me can get together and share our history. I showed you my ghost and I would be willing to share my history with all who ask me. Why did I change the ghost because the real one which I treasure sucks and is a ripoff. When I charge someone $2.75 I don't want to rip them off, my version is better...3 years in the making believe it or not... I built a site that is still in the making...www..com a blog...www.houseoftheunusual.blogspot.com a podcast www.houseoftheunusual.podcastpeople.com ...the podcast still has no shows at this time. Am I fair...well go and see I always had 100% feedback on ebay. I am not asking anybody to buy anything I just want people to write and share their history...I know the owners of Johnson Smith...S.S. Adams...Honor House...Fun Factory...American Circle corp...The Fun House...Transcience corp.- the makers of the x-ray specs...I can share my story of them with people like you. I will start posting pictures if I am asked...I will speak with you if you want... Hey I am getting older and so is my collection 2 10 x 30 storerooms filled with comic book products...If I don't hear from anybody soon I am going to stop everything close website and all...   My brother made me come back to all this... I love to do this and would like to share all my stuff but I am almost giving up right now... I AM NOT TRYING TO BE HONOR HOUSE. I just have the largest Honor House collection out there, I think... My E-mail is Faroutscience(*at*)aol.com... People please before you say anything negative about me...please please...get to know me first... If you want to know about any comic book novelty ask me!!! Believe me I am an expert in this...BUT I AM GETTING TIRED AND OLD......GOD BLESS YOU ALL AND YOUR FAMILY!!!
Eddie

Dr.Strange

www.houseoftheunusual.com

I recently purchased several items from HouseOfTheUnusualdotCom, I bought a few magic trick classics, and some of the items in the best sellers. I did receive my package and all the items where as described. I do remember the Monster Ghost a little different as a kid but, I think if I do ever find one it will be to expensive to buy. I mean last time I when into an exhibition show for I found the original actual Monster Ghost for around $4,000 and it was used. I was blown away. But hey I got a really good imitation for only $2.75 and It still gives me the memories, ideas and fun factor as I did back in the good old days. I spoke to Mr. Guevara and he was a man of many ideas, he had a very likeable character and was extremely knowledgeable. The website is now on my favorites list of sites. Back in the day I had both an original 7 Foot Frankenstein and Skeleton and when I got mine from the HOU site it was an inexpensive copy replica. Although I was a little sad that it was not in color, it was still worth the money, the original sells for around $2,000 each in that exhibition show I send too. I least now I got my memory on what it looked like and still have something to show my kids, without taking out a 2nd mortgage. Ha Ha Ha. My kids loved the tricks, gags and novelties. I guess for kids it's all the same – a toy is a toy. They are now making there own memories up and there happiness is what matters, well that and the fact that all this good stuff came as a very inexpensive price and actually its chump change compared to the Universal and Novelty exhibition show prices.

smmayhem

Eddie,

My statement "Honor House Wannabee" did not mean to offend but was only meant to convey the type of items that your company sells or deals with.

My Monster Kid friend (General Terry) was interested in placing an order with your company.  I tried to be as positive as I could with our past dealings as I truly do enjoy the type of items you sell... thus the interview in my fanzine.  I waited a long time for an item from you and I thought that it may be pertinent to know that information when purchasing from your company.  If you have the inventory as promised, then there should not be a problem.  I hope your business is successful as your catalog includes some fun items and does bring back some Monster Kid memories from the past.   

General Terry promptly posted, to this thread, his successful order with your company, thus eliminating any concerns from ordering.  Hopefully this thread will lead to additional orders for you.  Again, Eddie, I didn't mean to offend and keep up the good work with keeping these novelty items alive and kicking!

Sincerely & Maniacally,

Rick
Stoner's Monster Mayhem

Quote from: houseoftheunusual on March 13, 2008, 09:13:08 PM
R. Stoner why would say that about me???  You know the reason why I took so long.  Remember it was a trade not something you bought from me. If you have a storage as big as I do, trying to find something like that sucks. Remember I have a family and needed alot of time to find this stuff.
Rick
Stoner's Monster Mayhem

Dr.Terror

Awww, the 7ft Frankie is not Green????

houseoftheunusual

Richard

Thanks for clarifying that...

I have 7 Honor house werewolf mask but time has taken its toll on some of them..
Eddie

raycastile

Is that meant for me?  I'm Raymond, but raymond/richard, it's close enough.

Quote from: houseoftheunusual on March 14, 2008, 10:29:15 PM
Richard

Thanks for clarifying that...

I have 7 Honor house werewolf mask but time has taken its toll on some of them..

Raymond Castile

smmayhem

No... I believe that was meant for me.  Hey Eddie... hope all is well.  If you have some time, try posting some photos of your items!  Thanks!

Maniacally,

Rick "Richard" Stoner's Monster Mayhem

Quote from: raycastile on March 14, 2008, 10:59:09 PM
Is that meant for me?  I'm Raymond, but raymond/richard, it's close enough.

Rick
Stoner's Monster Mayhem