An historic place to me!

Started by Illoman, August 02, 2012, 08:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count_Zirock

I don't remember the Zero bar as a kid, so I'm guessing they didn't hit Newark, NJ, until Hershey bought them in the mid-'90s. Have never eaten one, but the next time I'm out, I'll try it. (I know I've seen them at the checkouts at Walmart.)
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Unknown Primate

I use to put my Zero bar in the fridge.  I always pictured it being cold anyway, because of the name - you know, like, zero degrees.  Yes, I was weird.
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

Count_Zirock

Count_Zirock

Still there!

The magazine racks are just to the right of the front door.

Unknown Primate

" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

Scatter

Quote from: Moonshadow on August 04, 2012, 10:48:34 PM
How about mixing two or three different flavors of Slurpee? We called those 'suicides'!

I did that today.........but I keep them in layers. I don't let them mush all together until melting makes it inevitable. That way you enjoy each flavor, then ALL the flavors mixed as you get to the bottom.

Yes, I'm a Slurpee geek.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Illoman

Count, that is *really* a blast from the past! Kudos to the town for keeping it as it appears it was back then. Love the art deco style lettering.

Count_Zirock

Quote from: Illoman on August 07, 2012, 10:05:38 PM
Count, that is *really* a blast from the past! Kudos to the town for keeping it as it appears it was back then. Love the art deco style lettering.
I doubt the city gives a hoot. The signage is probably still the same because the current owners don't have the money to replace it.

Here's the not-so-glorious side entrance, which puts you directly in the back, at the pharmacist's. This is also where people waiting for the crosstown bus into Irvington and Union had to wait outside. There used to be a bus stop, but drunk drivers kept smashing into it!

Illoman

Quote from: Count_Zirock on August 08, 2012, 12:01:16 AM
I doubt the city gives a hoot. The signage is probably still the same because the current owners don't have the money to replace it.

Where is this located?

Count_Zirock

Moonshadow

Quote from: Scatter on August 07, 2012, 09:59:36 PM
I did that today.........but I keep them in layers. I don't let them mush all together until melting makes it inevitable. That way you enjoy each flavor, then ALL the flavors mixed as you get to the bottom.

Yes, I'm a Slurpee geek.

Whatever helps you get through the heat, pal.

Hepcat

Quote from: Gillfan on August 04, 2012, 04:02:10 AM
When I was growing up in NJ the best place to buy comics was the local train station. They had the largest comic and magazine section I had ever seen. It was too far to walk or go on my bike when i was very young so I had to beg my Dad to take me. He would give in about once every two weeks. Writing about it I can still remember the smell; it was a heady mix of candy, tobacco, and fresh ink.

Mmmmmm! A great smell to be sure. I've always loved train stations! What town was this?

???

Quote from: neonnoodle on August 04, 2012, 01:31:59 PM
Great stuff!  Yes, those are the little things, those places and memories from childhood that we associate with the goodness of monsterdom...they take on a special importance. 

I still remember odd little bookstores and newsstands....

I agree! Those are things I remember too.

;)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Quote from: charp13 on August 04, 2012, 02:52:40 PM...I would get comics, Wacky Packages, paper dolls, and monster mags....

Do you still collect the Wacky Packages or other items?

???

Quote from: Moonshadow on August 04, 2012, 03:06:19 PMFor me it was all about finding comics, back in those days before comic book stores. That meant going to a lot of different places -book store, grocery stores, liquor stores, small markets. On Saturdays I would hop on my bike and make the circuit - William Brothers grocery store, Book Nook, the meat market (the name escapes me), Broadway Liquors, and then the one that always creeped me out, R&K Liquors. The guys behind the counter were always scowling and they'd yell at you if you took too much time looking at the books. 'Too much time' was probably a minute and a half.

I like how you and other kids in those days had the independence to just get on your bike and go to wherever you needed to go - as opposed to kids these days who are driven everywhere by their parents.

::)

Street Worm

Always amazed how unsupervised I was as a tyke-
Going where I wanted on my bike, dropped off for a day at the movies...
we'd even get to go off on our own at big stores & (open air) malls-

& I had strict parents!  :P

different times, I guess-
my kids couldn't do it & I wasn't all that strict~  ;)

Hepcat

Quote from: Unknown Primate on August 04, 2012, 05:34:42 PMI was 11-12 years old and would search the numerous (unfortunately) junkyards and alleys to find pop bottles (or "soda" as some might say).

It was pop in my neck of the woods as well. But the deposit was only two cents. Of course, packs of cards were only a nickel and comics were only a dime and then twelve cents.

In London I used to mainly patronize the following outlets for my comics, Mad, Drag Cartoons and Warren magazines:

Les' Variety -  a block away.
Ken's Variety - four blocks away in the other direction.
United Cigar Store - downtown at Dundas & Richmond, the main intersection of London
News Depot - downtown at Dundas & Wellington
Canadian National Institute for the Blind kiosk on Richmond & Queen
Canadian National Institute for the Blind kiosk in the market building
Davis Variety and Lunch on Richmond across from St. Peter's school

These outlets would have all of the comics and magazines I wanted.

8)