Cartoons

Started by general gruesome, May 04, 2011, 01:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Scott

Quote from: Hepcat on November 06, 2017, 02:54:46 PM
Truth! I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in Tex Avery's work or classic cartoons in general:

Got it, but I always wanted the Joe Adamson book, too. I have all of Tex's (not Texas) MGM cartoons on a French DVD set.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Sean

Quote from: Wich2 on September 14, 2013, 04:43:36 PM
Avery really WAS one of the Greats in his field - VERY influential on many modern animators; and he worked well beyond his "classic" days into the TV era.

-Craig

Hooray!!  What he said...

BRICK

I hate to use the word "cartoon", but the 1953 animated short, The Tell-Tale Heart, released by UFA and narrated by James Mason is outstanding. In my opinion, it redefines what you can do with animation.
When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Mike Scott

Quote from: BRICK on November 07, 2017, 01:32:18 AM
The Tell-Tale Heart, released by UFA . . . redefines what you can do with animation.

You mean "UPA". Home of "Mr. Magoo" and "Gerald McBoing-Boing.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

BRICK

Quote from: Mike Scott on November 07, 2017, 02:36:35 AM
You mean "UPA". Home of "Mr. Magoo" and "Gerald McBoing-Boing.

That's the one. They were also Godzilla's distribution arm in America, for a while. However, this short was done in completely different style than the characters above (see below). By the way, this is the film that was advertised in the back of FM for a number of years.

https://youtu.be/bCEdRES08Y4
When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Hepcat

Here anyway are my top ten in rough order:

1. Uncle Remus' Brer Rabbit

2. Fox and the Crow

3. Rocky and Bullwinkle

4. MGM's Droopy, the Wolf and the Girl(Red)

5. Deputy Dawg

6. Herman and Katnip

7. Goofy

8. Heckle and Jeckle

9. Felix the Cat

10. Beany and Cecil

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Quote from: Flower on May 05, 2011, 12:24:00 AMThe first ones that come to mind are ... some were 'evening' shows .. I cheated ...

Beany & Cecil
Casper & Friends
Chip & Dale
The Flintstones
George of the Jungle
Heckle & Jeckle
The Jetson
Mighty Mouse
Rocky & Bullwinkle
Tom & Jerry
Top Cat

Plus all the Looney Tune cartoons.

Good list!

:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Haunted hearse

Quote from: BRICK on November 07, 2017, 01:32:18 AM
I hate to use the word "cartoon", but the 1953 animated short, The Tell-Tale Heart, released by UFA and narrated by James Mason is outstanding. In my opinion, it redefines what you can do with animation.
I was so happy it was included on the Hellboy DMV. It is one of the finest horror films ever made.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?