What are your favourite Hawk Weird-Ohs model kits?

Started by Hepcat, February 11, 2012, 07:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Quote from: bigbud on June 07, 2012, 01:18:49 AMMr. Campbell was at a K C ComicCon..........he brought paintings and prints for a showcase-of-his-work room at the con.........I got to know him.........did a taped interview with him......

For whom did you tape the interview? A local radio station? Have you made the interview available on Youtube?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Rockshasa

Can't say I really have a favorite, but I am currently finishing up Frantic Banana now, and technically, as far as part-fitting, it does leave some things to be desired.

Tom_Hering

Quote from: Hepcat on May 14, 2014, 01:36:24 PM
Oh man! Great build!

8)

Thanks Hepcat! Daddy will be my next improvement project.

Hepcat

Quote from: Rockshasa on May 14, 2014, 09:04:56 PM...but I am currently finishing up Frantic Banana now, and technically, as far as part-fitting, it does leave some things to be desired.

Is that an original issue Frantic Banana from the sixties or this century's reissue? Or has the fit of the parts been a problem with both issues of this kit?

???

Rockshasa

It's the re-pop. I know nothing about these old Hawk kits. I picked this model up on a whim. I was a drummer for years so I thought it'd be fun to build a bongo player. The upper body did not fit well onto the pants.

Hepcat

I'm surprised that Daddy is still leading Davey, Endsville Eddie and the Silly Surfers.

:-\

Hepcat

Sean

horrorhunter

Marx did an awesome job sculpting six of the Weird-Ohs. Here's a pic of mine:

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on October 31, 2015, 01:30:27 AMMarx did an awesome job sculpting six of the Weird-Ohs.

I agree! The Marx Weird-Oh figures were actually better sculpts than the Hawk Weird-Oh model kits.

:)

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on October 31, 2015, 02:19:35 AM
I agree! The Marx Weird-Oh figures were actually better sculpts than the Hawk Weird-Oh model kits.

:)
The quality of Marx and most MPC sculpts from the '50s and '60s amazes me when compared to many current expensive toys. These figures were originally cheap bin/rack toys, or included by the dozens in playsets. The larger Marx figures like the Universal Monsters and Nutty Mads were sold for 10-25 cents in bins and they still look better than many expensive toys being sold today. It's no wonder so many people love and collect the old Marx and MPC offerings.  :)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Tom_Hering

Quote from: Hepcat on December 15, 2014, 03:30:45 PM
I'm surprised that Daddy is still leading Davey, Endsville Eddie and the Silly Surfers

Of all the Weird-Ohs, Daddy and Huey have the most creative vehicle concepts, a coffin and an outhouse (things that don't normally zoom around on wheels), with Bill Campbell's coffin dragster beating both Tom Daniels' Drag-U-La and Aurora's Dracula's Dragster by a year or two. I may be wrong, but before Campbell's Daddy and Huey, the only "funny" model kit design that was a non-automotive object turned into a car was MPC's 1960 Stroker McGurk Tall T (a telephone booth hot rod, which the new MPC really should reissue, along with the Stroker McGurk Surf Rod - it would be so easy to convert the Stroker figures to monsters). Additionally, Daddy is the only Weird-Oh that's strongly satirical, taking on 1960s suburban living, cocktail culture, the rat race, drunk driving, and the highway death toll. (Bill Campbell used to - and still does! - draw social/political cartoons, even though he's in his 90s now.)

Hepcat

Quote from: Tom_Hering on November 08, 2015, 04:46:15 PMI may be wrong, but before Campbell's Daddy and Huey, the only "funny" model kit design that was a non-automotive object turned into a car was MPC's 1960 Stroker McGurk Tall T (a telephone booth hot rod....

I believe you are. MPC wasn't around in 1960:

Quote from: WikipediaMPC was established in 1963 by George A. Toteff Jr. and Dick Branstner with facilities in Mount Clemens, Michigan. Toteff had been one of the original employees at AMT, eventually rising to vice president in the company.

MPC produced its first promotional models in 1965; the first product to appear under its own logo was a highly detailed 1/25-scale 1964 Corvette Sting Ray coupe featuring working front suspension, and including extra speed and customizing parts. Another of the company's first 'promos' was a 1965 Dodge Coronet 500 in both convertible and two-door hardtop versions.

???