Super 7 "Official Universal Monsters Thread"

Started by Remco Wolfman, February 16, 2018, 08:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearliath

Quote from: Subatomic_Matt on June 28, 2021, 10:05:07 AM
I'd been lucky to have Brian reply to me a couple times before, so I thought I'd try again. He replied:

" It will actually release in January now. So many weird little issues with universal and some of these guys. The funny part is, you will get a different monster sooner than wave3, but we do have them all coming."

All the way back in February 2020 (right around Toy Fair) I was told that before COVID Super 7 had intended to do a Monster Boodega of sorts at NYCC (rather than SDCC). I was told they would be releasing a "different" monster at that event. Obviously none of that ever happened but I have thought about that off and on since and I do wonder if the "different" monster is actually Quasimodo.

I say that because at Toy Fair Super 7 originally had put on display: Werewolf of London, Ygor, Ardeth Bey, Son of Frankenstein, Creature Walks Among Us (already released)  all with card art AND for a very brief period they also displayed Quasimodo (with his card buried in the very back behind all the other cards) but then they pulled him off display and left the others on display (there are a couple of pics on the internet of him but he isn't in most). Also all the other monsters are listed for pre-order at various online retailers BUT Quasimodo is not listed anywhere. I wonder if they intended Quasimodo to be a con exclusive and displayed him by accident before removing him from display.

Anyway, my theory after way too much thought is that Quasimodo will be released at some point this year as a special item and then the other 4 will be released in January. I don't think there is a monster we haven't already heard about being released. 

You can see a picture of the Quasimodo card but not the figure here:
https://www.werewolves.com/new-super7-action-figures/

And the Quasimodo Figure here:
https://www.allhallowsgeek.com/toy-fair-new-york-2020-super7s-horror-reaction-figure-reveals/

Worth noting that it is a full production painted figure of Quasimodo. That isn't a prototype so I can't fathom why he wouldn't be released (unless Universal decided he isn't a Universal Monster, which of course is possible).

aura of foreboding

These are very good thoughts.  Considering we aren't getting Quasi as part of the other wave, and we know they have the figure sculpted, it makes sense.  But we shall see!  I'd rather have a Kharis, Son of Dracula, Dracula's Daughter, Maleva...  But... it is what it is.

Anton Phibes

There is a legal fight of some sort (that I don't believe has been resolved yet) involving the Chaney Estate and Universal. This could be part of the hold up on Quasimodo. I don't think their legal fight had started when their Phantom and Wolfman were released. Dark Monkey God (Shannon) probably has the inside poop on that one.

Dr.Terror

Somethi g tells me the "nrw monster"  was tne Penn Plaxx style crrature.
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

Mike Scott

Quote from: Dr.Terror on July 02, 2021, 08:01:47 PM
Somethi g tells me the "nrw monster"  was tne Penn Plaxx style crrature.

Why would he be teasing something that was released some time ago?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: Anton Phibes on July 02, 2021, 06:00:14 PM
There is a legal fight of some sort (that I don't believe has been resolved yet) involving the Chaney Estate and Universal. This could be part of the hold up on Quasimodo. I don't think their legal fight had started when their Phantom and Wolfman were released. Dark Monkey God (Shannon) probably has the inside poop on that one.

Last I spoke with Brian F about it, Quasimodo was coming out with all the rest. I believe the photos are from two different events (NYTF and the Halloween & Party Expo) and do not remember Quasi being removed from a showcase. I think the figures are painted samples and not "full production" examples. The caveat on all of this being that I do not actually know, but should I hear more and be a liberty to say, I will.

Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

fearliath

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on July 02, 2021, 09:51:20 PM
Last I spoke with Brian F about it, Quasimodo was coming out with all the rest. I believe the photos are from two different events (NYTF and the Halloween & Party Expo) and do not remember Quasi being removed from a showcase. I think the figures are painted samples and not "full production" examples. The caveat on all of this being that I do not actually know, but should I hear more and be a liberty to say, I will.

Both the photos I linked to are from NYTF 2020. Every other figure in those photos including the unpainted prototypes have been released already. The Hunchback card got placed behind all the other cards and Hunchback is the only figure not placed in front of a card. It also not being available for preorder from anyone  seems like a major coincidence if nothing else. I hope like crazy that there is a 7th unknown wave 3 figure. And an entire Wave 4. And Wave 5.

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: fearliath on July 03, 2021, 01:27:59 AM
Both the photos I linked to are from NYTF 2020.

Nope.

If you read the werewolves.com 'article' you linked to, you'll note the link in it to the universalmonstersuniverse.com 'article' it regurgitates, itself a deadlift of Super7's instagram posts about...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7eK2A2AIe7/

....the 17-19 January 2020 Halloween & Party Expo in New Orleans, the source of the first photo you called our attention to, which is not the 22-25 February New York Toy Fair in, you know, New York City, which IS where the photos in your second link were taken.

Where are you getting the story about Quasimodo being removed from display during NYTF 2020?

fearliath

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on July 03, 2021, 09:06:13 PM

Where are you getting the story about Quasimodo being removed from display during NYTF 2020?

Secret government sources.

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: fearliath on July 03, 2021, 11:51:30 PM
Secret government sources.

Ah, come on man, did you just make it up or what? It's a hassle to track down a rumor, so if it's just something you came up with and will admit it with the same level of self assurance you put it out there I'd really appreciate it. Alternately, if its something you were actually told, I'd appreciate knowing that too.

fearliath

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on July 04, 2021, 12:58:33 AM
Ah, come on man, did you just make it up or what? It's a hassle to track down a rumor, so if it's just something you came up with and will admit it with the same level of self assurance you put it out there I'd really appreciate it. Alternately, if its something you were actually told, I'd appreciate knowing that too.

Two people there told me that. They could be pathological liars though but I don't feel a need to go back and call them out and interrogate them for something they said about an action figure 18 months ago.  I'm pretty confident they weren't lying. Why would they? Why on this good earth would I do that just to come  on this illustrious Internet forum and make an attempt to convince  the almighty Darkmonkeygod whether a Quasimodo action  figure was or was not on display at a show in Feb 2020?  Or alternatively plead humble forgiveness for someone else's potential misunderstanding. Ready for a big sentence? Maybe it was off display, maybe they took it out for a minute when they passed by, maybe it tipped over, maybe it was right there the entire time and they missed it, or maybe I made it up knowing you would bite and sacrifice endless hours and treasure tracking down a baseless rumor, causing you to forsake all adult responsibilities and crash down in financial and emotional ruin. My long ago hatched plot would finally come to fruition. Or maybe not.

You need to chill out, eat a hotdog, drink a root beer and enjoy the 4th. It would be a shame if you spent the day tracking down a rumor.

Anton Phibes

Quote from: fearliath on July 04, 2021, 11:20:52 AM
Two people there told me that. They could be pathological liars though but I don't feel a need to go back and call them out and interrogate them for something they said about an action figure 18 months ago.  I'm pretty confident they weren't lying. Why would they? Why on this good earth would I do that just to come  on this illustrious Internet forum and make an attempt to convince  the almighty Darkmonkeygod whether a Quasimodo action  figure was or was not on display at a show in Feb 2020?  Or alternatively plead humble forgiveness for someone else's potential misunderstanding. Ready for a big sentence? Maybe it was off display, maybe they took it out for a minute when they passed by, maybe it tipped over, maybe it was right there the entire time and they missed it, or maybe I made it up knowing you would bite and sacrifice endless hours and treasure tracking down a baseless rumor, causing you to forsake all adult responsibilities and crash down in financial and emotional ruin. My long ago hatched plot would finally come to fruition. Or maybe not.

You need to chill out, eat a hotdog, drink a root beer and enjoy the 4th. It would be a shame if you spent the day tracking down a rumor.

I really don't think Shannon is the one who needs to chill out.  You've gone off on people here before. Myself included. He has actual information he shares here. He hasn't been wrong when he's shared it. He was asking a legitimate question, and you went coo coo for Coa Coa Puffs.

michblk

Speaking of Super 7, what ever happened to the Monster Soakies they were supposed to come out with?

Brian K
"There is something wrong with us, very, very wrong with us"
Bill Murray - Stripes

fearliath

Quote from: Anton Phibes on July 04, 2021, 11:45:19 AM
I really don't think Shannon is the one who needs to chill out.  You've gone off on people here before. Myself included. He has actual information he shares here. He hasn't been wrong when he's shared it. He was asking a legitimate question, and you went coo coo for Coa Coa Puffs.

Anton, I was simply giving a response as outlandish as him strongly implying I was lying and then condescendingly asking me to admit it "with the same level assurance I put it out there". I was sharing a theory, about a TOY (which was acknowledged as a theory in the post) based on things I had been told from people who were there. He comes back asking for sources like I was reporting in the New York Times on a presidential scandal with national security implications. You'll note my post contains no insults, real or implied. His does.