Whats the last song you listened to today??

Started by Dr.Teufel Geist, June 22, 2009, 06:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mord

Quote from: geezer butler on August 13, 2019, 03:06:08 PM
The Smiths:

Shoplifters of the World Unite
The Queen is Dead
Morrissey is one hell of a writer. Johnny Marr is a distinctive guitarist, as well.

Mord

Andrew W.K. -  Party Hard (2001)
Love this dumb, hard rocking song from his "I Get Wet" album.

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mord

Quote from: marsattacks666 on August 13, 2019, 06:32:06 PM
Rick James-Give to me Baby

I met him backstage at a record company party. He.was coked out of his mind. Good show, though.

geezer butler

Quote from: Mord on August 13, 2019, 06:42:03 PM
I met him backstage at a record company party. He.was coked out of his mind. Good show, though.

Mord, Rick James, cocaine, record company party in Los Angeles----now this I gotta find out more. Details please, Details!!  :laugh:

geezer butler

Sirius radio killing it tonight. Heard these songs flicking through channels this evening:

Nas: It Aint Hard to Tell
Helmet: Unsung
Minor Threat: Straight Edge
Bad Brains: Pay to Cum
Ice Cube: Jackin' for Beats
Dead Boys: All This and More
Slayer: Raining Blood

Damn!!

Mord

Quote from: geezer butler on August 13, 2019, 08:48:20 PM
Mord, Rick James, cocaine, record company party in Los Angeles----now this I gotta find out more. Details please, Details!!  :laugh:

Ok, you asked for it...

In the late 70s to early 80s I worked as a buyer for Licorice Pizza (a popular record chain in California). Record companies were pouring money in support of their more successful artists. Promo records, trips, free concerts, etc. were the norm.
   In 1981 "Superfreak" made Rick James a superstar. His company offered free backstage passes to our company's employees. It featured catered party bus ride, free concert, and backstage pass. I couldn't pass that up.
    The bus ride featured ham sandwiches and cold beer. Loved that. We got to the venue (Long Beach Arena) and were treated to great floor seats. The show was funkalicious. Sexy babes in short-shorts writhing all over the place.
    Then came the backstage party. Frankly, the evening is a little fuzzy now. I do remember James in full party mode with a little white mucus flowing from his nose. His band was partying with all of us. Lots of drinking, smoking, and other substances.
     Luckily, our bus driver was sober enough to get us to our pick up destination. We stayed in our cars until we were all ok to drive back home. Nothing earth-shattering, but loads of fun. I hope the story wasn't too boring. Your dad had much more exciting  escapades, from what you've told me.

geezer butler

Quote from: Mord on August 13, 2019, 10:28:30 PM
Ok, you asked for it...

In the late 70s to early 80s I worked as a buyer for Licorice Pizza (a popular record chain in California). Record companies were pouring money in support of their more successful artists. Promo records, trips, free concerts, etc. were the norm.
   In 1981 "Superfreak" made Rick James a superstar. His company offered free backstage passes to our company's employees. It featured catered party bus ride, free concert, and backstage pass. I couldn't pass that up.
    The bus ride featured ham sandwiches and cold beer. Loved that. We got to the venue (Long Beach Arena) and were treated to great floor seats. The show was funkalicious. Sexy babes in short-shorts writhing all over the place.
    Then came the backstage party. Frankly, the evening is a little fuzzy now. I do remember James in full party mode with a little white mucus flowing from his nose. His band was partying with all of us. Lots of drinking, smoking, and other substances.
     Luckily, our bus driver was sober enough to get us to our pick up destination. We stayed in our cars until we were all ok to drive back home. Nothing earth-shattering, but loads of fun. I hope the story wasn't too boring. Your dad had much more exciting  escapades, from what you've told me.

Oh man that's awesome, thanks for sharing. To say you partied with Rick James in 81, that's such a baller thing to say. I'm totally jealous. Wish I could have been on the bus.

I totally had in my head the scenario from Dave Chappelle show, lol. I thought you were going to say you guys were partying, then Rick got out of line, you had to kick the s#&t out of him, but then you guys had a truce, blazed one up, and got back to the ladies!  ;D

Remember this skit? So freakin' funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdVAH8Z5O90

Mord

Quote from: geezer butler on August 14, 2019, 12:23:15 AM
Oh man that's awesome, thanks for sharing. To say you partied with Rick James in 81, that's such a baller thing to say. I'm totally jealous. Wish I could have been on the bus.

I totally had in my head the scenario from Dave Chappelle show, lol. I thought you were going to say you guys were partying, then Rick got out of line, you had to kick the s#&t out of him, but then you guys had a truce, blazed one up, and got back to the ladies!  ;D

Remember this skit? So freakin' funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdVAH8Z5O90

Yeah, love that bit. I wish I could say that's what happened. Still, quite an awesome night (on he record company's dime). He was an amazing force-of-nature back then. My girlfriend and I got to party with Iggy &The Stooges at the Whisky-a-go-go during the Raw Power tour in 73. I was 17 at the time and really loved the Stooges. Rufus with Chaka Khan were the opening act. They sat at the table next to us. I had no idea who they were at the time. I'll tell you about that one tomorrow, if your interested. THAT was one of the best shows I've ever experienced.

geezer butler

Quote from: Mord on August 14, 2019, 12:41:32 AM
Yeah, love that bit. I wish I could say that's what happened. Still, quite an awesome night (on he record company's dime). He was an amazing force-of-nature back then. My girlfriend and I got to party with Iggy &The Stooges at the Whisky-a-go-go during the Raw Power tour in 73. I was 17 at the time and really loved the Stooges. Rufus with Chaka Khan were the opening act. They sat at the table next to us. I had no idea who they were at the time. I'll tell you about that one tomorrow, if your interested. THAT was one of the best shows I've ever experienced.

Heck yeah I wanna hear more! You partied with the Stooges---and Chaka Khan and Rufus???!!! That's so bad ass. What a cool bill. You don't see shows like that too much in the US anymore---eclectic bills. Back in the day my dad saw The Stones and Stevie Wonder together at Cobo Hall in Detroit. Early 70s I believe. Can you imagine? That would have been insane.

Mord

Quote from: geezer butler on August 15, 2019, 12:04:33 AM
Back in the day my dad saw The Stones and Stevie Wonder together at Cobo Hall in Detroit. Early 70s I believe. Can you imagine? That would have been insane.

Man, your dad sounds like the ultimate rocker! Very cool. My dad was going to take my brother and I to see The Stones (with Ike & Tina) in '69. I was 13 my brother 11. He got tickets, and everything. Right before the day of the show, my mom had to go in for surgery. She was ok, but I remember thinking...these guys have been around for awhile and this was probably their final tour. Boy, was I wrong. I did get to see them on the "Exile" tour three years later. It was my sixteenth birthday gift. Great show!

Mord

Quote from: geezer butler on August 15, 2019, 12:04:33 AM
Heck yeah I wanna hear more! You partied with the Stooges---and Chaka Khan and Rufus???!!! That's so bad ass. What a cool bill.

Ok, my girlfriend and I partied around a barely conscious Iggy. He had stripped down to some black panties. I remember some pervy exec-type  sticking his business card down the front of his briefs. Iggy was numb to everything around him. James Williamson was friendly, but aloof. It was the Ashton bros who talked to us and were extremely friendly. I remember having a school list of senior semester classes folded in fourths in my back pocket. Every member signed a fourth, which made it perfect. Iggy must have thought I was a roadie or Whisky-a-go-go stage hand, because he wrote, "Thanks for all the help, man - Iggy". The other Stooges took the time to write on their own squares. I don't think they would have been as friendly if my girlfriend hadn't been standing next to me. She was a hot blond with long hair, platform shoes, and tiny black velvet shorts. I've got more to fill in, so I'll continue tomorrow (if you're still interested).

marsattacks666

Joy Division-
Disorder
Shadow Play

Slayer-
Black Magic
Tormentor
Show No Mercy
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

geezer butler

Quote from: Mord on August 15, 2019, 12:58:20 AM
Ok, my girlfriend and I partied around a barely conscious Iggy. He had stripped down to some black panties. I remember some pervy exec-type  sticking his business card down the front of his briefs. Iggy was numb to everything around him. James Williamson was friendly, but aloof. It was the Ashton bros who talked to us and were extremely friendly. I remember having a school list of senior semester classes folded in fourths in my back pocket. Every member signed a fourth, which made it perfect. Iggy must have thought I was a roadie or Whisky-a-go-go stage hand, because he wrote, "Thanks for all the help, man - Iggy". The other Stooges took the time to write on their own squares. I don't think they would have been as friendly if my girlfriend hadn't been standing next to me. She was a hot blond with long hair, platform shoes, and tiny black velvet shorts. I've got more to fill in, so I'll continue tomorrow (if you're still interested).

Ha, I love it! That totally sounds Iggy  ;D

Yes, let's hear it brother!!

marsattacks666

Black Sabbath-Children of the Sea
Motley Crue-Red Hot