Goodbye Yahoo Groups!

Started by Mike Scott, November 03, 2019, 02:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Scott

As most of you know the UMA started as a Yahoo Group. We dumped a lot of content into the 2 groups over the years (mostly photos). When we moved here, we brought all of the '60s - '80s toys/collectibles photos with us. The rest of that old content has just been sitting over there all this time, but that is about to change.

I just found out (thanks Adam) that on Dec. 14 all Yahoo Groups will be stripped of 100% of their content. Photos, files, messages, etc . . POOF! So, if there is anything you want to save from the old UMA (or any other) groups, you've got about 6 weeks. No shoving!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on November 03, 2019, 02:45:19 AM
... on Dec. 14 all Yahoo Groups will be stripped of 100% of their content. Photos, files, messages, etc . . POOF! So, if there is anything you want to save from the old UMA (or any other) groups, you've got about 6 weeks. No shoving! 

Kinda makes me think.

Our nation truly is a throwaway society.  NBC tossed out all of their early broadcast archives because they had exhausted their storage capacity and needed some more empty rooms.  No attempt was made to sort through it and save any historic material for future researchers or even contact some other organizations or individuals who might want to tackle some of the admittedly daunting task.  Nope, everything went in the dumpster.

Sure, most of it was worthy of the trash bins out back.  But there were diamonds scattered throughout that jetsam.  Small things like Robert Frost and Carl Sandburg reading their own poetry.  (But wouldn't it be cool if we could have heard Emerson, Whitman and Longfellow reading their own work?)

And recent programming, too.  When Johnny Carson retired in the early '90's, he was unable to edit together a retrospective of his 30 years as host of the "Tonight Show" - all but the most recent years tapes had been wiped clean for new recordings.

I know, I know...  we're not talking the burning of the library at Alexandria.  But, so much of this stuff could have been digitalized and retained just a few years later.

It's weird to watch history programs from the UK.  They routinely go into archives and examine hand-written records from four hundred years ago - tiny bits of history like contractors' building material inventory, cost estimates and workmen's pay records.

I wonder how much space is taken up by Yahoo's digital files for their groups?

I can't help it.  I hear news stories about minor crap and my mind automatically goes off on a tangent.  Sometimes, I wish I could make it stop.  I'm sure you do, too.

ADAM

KelG1

I recall Carson was forced into early retirement.

The BBC also trashed their tv archives. One reason cited was because actors did not want to lose jobs because of re-runs.

It's the irony of hi-tech, the most far-reaching in distribution but also the most fragile.
Then again maybe one day aliens were appear who saved everything that was inadvertently broadcast to them through space.

Earthling: "Why are you giving us this?"

Alien: "To serve man."

Hepcat

Quote from: Mike Scott on November 03, 2019, 02:45:19 AMAs most of you know the UMA started as a Yahoo Group. We dumped a lot of content into the 2 groups over the years (mostly photos).

Was that pre-Facebook? Why have the Yahoo Groups fallen into disuse? Facebook?

???

Quote from: Mike Scott on November 03, 2019, 02:45:19 AMWhen we moved here, we brought all of the '60s - '80s toys/collectibles photos with us. The rest of that old content has just been sitting over there all this time, but that is about to change.

I just found out (thanks Adam) that on Dec. 14 all Yahoo Groups will be stripped of 100% of their content. Photos, files, messages, etc . . POOF! So, if there is anything you want to save from the old UMA (or any other) groups, you've got about 6 weeks.

Yes! And repost it here on UMA in an appropriate thread!

8)

Collecting! It's what I do!

Mike Scott

Quote from: Hepcat on November 09, 2019, 05:41:12 AM
Was that pre-Facebook?

Probably. Started in Nov. 2002.

Quote from: Hepcat on November 09, 2019, 05:41:12 AM
Why have the Yahoo Groups fallen into disuse? Facebook?

That's a lot of it, I'm sure. And Tooter and Instaspam.
CREATURE FAN

Hepcat

Are the other (almost completely inactive) mods/officers of UMA aware of this coming event? Might they have something they want to save from the Yahoo Group?

???

Collecting! It's what I do!

Mike Scott

Quote from: Hepcat on November 10, 2019, 03:22:07 PM
Are the other mods/officers of UMA aware of this coming event?

I'll send them a note.
CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

I couldn't figure out where to sign in.   Yahoo gave me a temporary  password to replace my forgotten one, but I couldn't find anywhere to enter it.

I clicked all around the UMA name but nothing happened.
ADAM

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on November 10, 2019, 08:45:07 PM
I couldn't figure out where to sign in.

At the top of the page, on the right.
CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on November 10, 2019, 08:57:37 PM
At the top of the page, on the right.

Well, I guess I am signed in - I just can't open up any of the conversations.  Nothing happens.
ADAM

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on November 10, 2019, 09:05:22 PM
I just can't open up any of the conversations. 

Do you see the links to the individual messages? If yes, they just don't open when you click on them? How about "Photos", "Files", etc.?
CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on November 10, 2019, 09:29:22 PM
Do you see the links to the individual messages? If yes, they just don't open when you click on them? How about "Photos", "Files", etc.?

I can't get to any messages.  All I see is little boxes with the numbers of message.  I must have clicked on everything this is - no changes.

Is anyone else getting in?
ADAM

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on November 10, 2019, 09:54:21 PM
All I see is little boxes with the numbers of message. 

So, you don't see this?

CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

NO!

Typed in that address and got the same old blockade.

Finally figured out my problem, though.  I needed to sign out from Yahoo and re-sign back in using a different e-mail address.  That made the difference.

ADAM

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN