Post an Image of a Favourite Monster or Sci-Fi Collectible!

Started by Hepcat, May 13, 2016, 03:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horrorhunter

Zoo Pic I-Scream Spoons:

There's a pic of the complete set of spoons and sticks in the gallery. Click Media.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on February 03, 2017, 10:03:01 PMAnd here is the small B&W ash can Eerie #1 that Warren rushed to publication to ensure that he held copyright to the name.

200 were printed and the few that turn up in the marketplace are quite expensive. Counterfeits were also printed and even those trade for big bucks.

The cover of Eerie 1 was taken from the subscription ad that had made up the back cover of  Creepy 2:

The artwork was by the incomparable Jack Davis of course.

ededed
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Quote from: Mike Scott on February 03, 2017, 10:48:25 PM
Quote from: horrorhunter on February 03, 2017, 10:03:01 PMWarren beat Myron Fass of Eerie Publications infamy to the punch and out of spite Fass named his company Eerie which evidently didn't infringe on the copyright for the mag title.

Myron's middle finger salute to Warren.

A well-deserved middle finger to James Warren in this case. The ashcan was a pr*ck move.

C:)

Mike Scott

Quote from: Hepcat on February 04, 2017, 03:32:52 PM
The cover of Eerie 1 was taken from the subscription ad that had made up the back cover of  Creepy 2:

Everything in EERIE #1 was swiped from CREEPY!  ;D
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Wich2

Quote from: Hepcat on February 04, 2017, 03:37:54 PM
A well-deserved middle finger to James Warren in this case. The ashcan was a pr*ck move.

Why so, Hep? That was not uncommon in pulp publishing then. The comix folks did it, too.

horrorhunter

Yep, it was dog eat dog in the world of comic/monster mag publishing in the '50s-'70s. Marvel turned out to be the biggest dog, but Warren was king on the monster mag side. Jim Warren made his regular artists and writers sign agreements that they wouldn't work for any other publishing house but most of them just used a pseudonym and did it anyway. It really pissed Warren off in the mid '70s when Marvel attempted to take over his territory with a deluge of monster mag titles, but it kind of backfired on them when the oversaturation of the market led to poor sales and eventual cancellation of all of those titles with the exception of Savage Sword Of Conan. That move sure finished off Skywald though. But, the Eerie Pubs rags persevered and stayed on the stands right till the end in the early '80s. The competition of the monster mag wars led to some of the best stories and art in comic book history. There will never be anything like it again. It begs for a lengthy tome giving all the sordid details, but it should be written by someone who was actually there and worked for those companies first hand. Those folks aren't getting any younger so I hope it happens before it's too late.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Quote from: Wich2 on February 04, 2017, 06:38:20 PMWhy so, Hep? That was not uncommon in pulp publishing then. The comix folks did it, too.

Just because it was widely done does not mean it was not sleazy. Eerie 1 was just a piece of junk.

cl:)

Hepcat

Unlike so many other movie stars, Gorgo was not a one-dimensional talent. True, it was with a blockbuster Academy Award worthy performance that he burst upon the scene in 1961:

Gorgo Trailer

But Gorgo then immediately transitioned to the literary field with this bestseller:

Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Rock Hudson, Cary Grant, how many of these other Hollywood matinee idols can boast of that?

???

Wich2

Actually...

Quite a few! And ever since the beginning of the flickers:

Hepcat

None of them had even a shadow of Gorgo's screen presence or animal magnetism though. Gorgo was huge!

cl:)

Flower

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Wich2

Hepcat

Here's an A.B.G. pencil sharpener display dating from 1964:

The pencil sharpeners are placed inside four different heads - Frankenstein, the Mummy, Wolf Man and Etta the Ghoul. There was evidently a warehouse find of these sharpeners in the early nineties but the find did not include any Frankenstein sharpeners so that the Frankie sharpeners are now the toughest to find.

Orange, green and purple are the most common colours with grey a distant fourth. White ones can also be found but only if a person is very fortunate. The actual sharpener inserts come in many colours including red, yellow, green, blue and white.

8)