The Outer Limits

Started by Robert W, August 06, 2012, 09:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

horrorhunter

Quote from: Mord on January 24, 2014, 03:17:45 PM
Probably my all time favorite card set! Love the color versions of the classic O.L. monsters and the outrageous story lines on the back of the cards (having NOTHING to do with the original episodes).
Same here. And Hep's are in great condition. too. I picked up a set a few years ago and, even though most are nice, a couple show wear on the edges. Those black border cards are tough!
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

jimm

Yes they are. There is a local collector who has everything from sports to mars attacks...you name it, most minty, I've been buying his seconds since the 80's, and most of those are ex/mt or better!

Hepcat

Here are scans of my Dell Outer Limits comics:

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mord

I used to have some of these as a kid. Cool comics, but very unlike the series.

Zackuth

I've got the 18 issues downloaded.
"Listen to them; the children of the night.  What music they make!"  Dracula

BigShadow

Quote from: Hepcat on January 24, 2014, 11:33:00 AM
Here then are more Outer Limits cards and wrappers:

These are from a bubble gum card set issued in 1964 by Bubbles Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of the Topps Chewing Gum Company.

tynhrt

Wow Hepcat, never seen these cards before...they are beautiful.  I'm going to have to check ebay to see if anyone is selling.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast

horrorhunter

Quote from: BigShadow on February 05, 2014, 12:47:30 AM
Wow Hepcat, never seen these cards before...they are beautiful.  I'm going to have to check ebay to see if anyone is selling.
Full sets are very scarce and expensive. I got mine through The Wrapper years ago. Clicky.

http://www.thewrappermagazine.com/
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mord

There was a nice looking re-issue set released in the late eighties. Pretty accurate reproductions though the backs were white to appease collectors.

McDougals House of Horror

The Outer Limits card set was one of the things I managed to hang onto from my childhood, so I have my original set. I did upgrade a few cards (those black borders were so easily scratched) but now I have pretty much a EX-NM set -- beautiful cards especially since the show was not in color.
"Do you know what I've got in those crates?"

Hepcat

Quote from: McDougals House of Horror on February 05, 2014, 09:48:19 PMThe Outer Limits card set was one of the things I managed to hang onto from my childhood, so I have my original set.

I don't remember either the Outer Limits cards nor the Mars Attacks cards being sold in my neck of the woods when I was a kid. I don't believe O-Pee-Chee chose to distribute these in Canada because of the potential controversy involving the content of these sets. Pity because I would have gone for them in a big way!

:-\

Quote from: Hepcat on February 06, 2014, 09:20:05 AM
I don't remember either the Outer Limits cards nor the Mars Attacks cards being sold in my neck of the woods when I was a kid. I don't believe O-Pee-Chee chose to distribute these in Canada because of the potential controversy involving the content of these sets. Sad because I would have gone for them in a big way!

Even in the U.S. in 1962 Mars Attacks distribution was very scarce since Topps was concerned about the gore and female flesh -- in fact, they didn't even use the name "Topps", they used "Bubbles Inc." so that people wouldn't link them to their popular sports cards. That's why high quality sets are so rare. Kind of interesting since they also did another wonderfully bloody Norm Saunders set in '62 called Civil War News but used their Topps name on that one...

Hepcat

Now those were widely available in London but only in five cent packs, and they were indeed hugely popular with young boys because of the blood and gore pictured! I collected them aggressively and completed a set. The Civil War News was also among the very first card sets from my younger days that I reacquired in 1980-81 when I went back to collecting old bubble gum cards.

Here are some pictures from my current set:

8)

Beautiful Hepcat -- I loved all those colorful early card sets. I recall reading somewhere that the English Civil War News cards had slightly different dimensions than the Topps American version. In either case, Norm Saunders really caught the imaginations of all us Monster Kids back in '62 with those horrible death scenes! Today's kids would probably laugh at them as being way too tame compared to their XXX violent video games.

Hepcat

Quote from: McDougals House of Horror on February 06, 2014, 07:11:39 PMI recall reading somewhere that the English Civil War News cards had slightly different dimensions than the Topps American version.

That's correct. Topps' affiliate A&BC produced slightly smaller 2 3/16" X 3 3/16" variants of the cards over in the United Kingdom compared with the standard 2 1/2" X 3 1/2" size here in North America. But I've never felt compelled to acquire the A&BC cards as well.

Haunted hearse

Quote from: McDougals House of Horror on February 06, 2014, 07:11:39 PM
Beautiful Hepcat -- I loved all those colorful early card sets. I recall reading somewhere that the English Civil War News cards had slightly different dimensions than the Topps American version. In either case, Norm Saunders really caught the imaginations of all us Monster Kids back in '62 with those horrible death scenes! Today's kids would probably laugh at them as being way too tame compared to their XXX violent video games.
They did a series of cards about the English Civil War?  Did any of them include the Witch-finder General?
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?