Old Halloween photos of you as a kid

Started by The Phantom Creep, January 18, 2008, 04:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike c

Halloween of '75, as The Wolf Man. The skull over my relative's shoulder is actually a cool skull hand puppet I loved for years, and I have no idea what happened to it!

This next is from '76. I was The Fly, my brother Joe was a kind of generic ghoul/guard sorta fella. (He was wearing prosthetic nose/chin pieces, he didn't actually LOOK like that!):

I'm still looking for old Halloween pics I KNOW I have somewhere. This is a great thread-

Mike C.

mike c

Well... no pics showing up. edit- Changed the host site, now they're up.

Mike C.

Richard

Thank you ALL for the nice comments!
Here are a few more pics from Halloweens past~
Best,
Richard

Richard

My wife Andrea and me on Halloween 1975

Causing mayhem amongst the clerks at Herberger's Department Store in Virginia, Minnesota in 1978

poseablemonster

AWESOME, Richard!  I love the look on the clerk's face..."What the...???"

The Phantom Creep

Richard you're the coolest! That photo of you and the Mummy is just incredible. Also love Drac and Friend. Your makeup looks so good in that photo it looks like you're wearing a mask. That Frankenstein photo is priceless. Scaring the squares!! Great stuff, thanks so much for sharing them.
"Ladies and gentlemen, please do not panic. But  SCREAM!! Scream for your lives!!"

drgangrene

Here's a picture of me in a old Ben Cooper costume at Halloween. I found another one of these on ebay a couple years back.

Wich2

Dear Richard, you are indeed the crem de la crem Monster Kid/Pal!

This one may be old news to some of ya'll -

Best,
-"Strange" Craig W.

Richard

GREAT monster kid photos, everyone!!! Keep 'em coming!
Thanks for the postings and comments!
Best,
Richard

Quote from: Wich2 on January 20, 2008, 07:55:46 PM

This one may be old news to some of ya'll -

Best,
-"Strange" Craig W.

I missed this photo if you showed it before, Craig. REALLY COOL Frankenstein Monster in a great setting!!!!
Thanks for sharing this, my friend!

ProfGriffin

Awesome photos everyone!  Richard...you are the ghouliest kid I know...(and I didn't even know you as a kid!)

Ok, here's some of mine...

1978...4th grade...and I was the Invisible Man.  My Brother was The Wolf Man...and my youngest brother, a little devil.
This picture was taken pre-bandages...

Funny story about that costume...using Alan Ormsby's Monster Make-Up book, my mother actually made me a small dressing gown in that exact same pattern style (black, checkered lapel, pocket, tie,) that Griffin 'borrowed' from
Dr. Kemp.

I wrapped my head in bandages and my hands in gloves. I could never find those blinder shades (and man did I make my poor mother look) so I used some cool round sunglasses...an adequate replacement.

I was resplendent. I was confindent. I KNEW I was a shoe-in for the 1st place in the costume contest at St. Pius V Elementary school.
I did indeed win that precious illusive brass ring (it was actually a cheap ribbon) but as I was being presented for applause and envy, the announcer introduced me as....

Joseph Fotinos as 'The Mummy in Pajamas!!'

My heart sunk. "No!" I shouted, "I'm Dr. Griffin, the Invisible Man!" only since I was wrapped in bandages it weakly came out as...

"woo, um, doo-uu akkk-effn-de-woenibl an!!"

Oh well.  Moving On.

Here I am as The Grim Reaper. 2nd Grade.

My mother again hand sewed a great black robe and hood for me and she painted my face into a living skull.  I can still smell the tempera paint.  (Indeed that smell of Tempera paint makes me think of Halloween!)

I got into costume for school and waited outside for my moring car pool to pick me up.  I stood out in the foggy early morning...a 7 year old Grim Reaper...not moving, barely breathing, really getting into character.  My ride pulled up and I got in (did they not realize whom they were letting into the car??? Did they not fear me?)  My car pool companion, a young girl whose name I honestly can't recall, was dressed as a princess, and I sat next to her in the back seat. 

"Who are you supposed to be?"

At this innocent question, I turned my head slowly toward her  and just stared.  I remember the thrill of that moment.  Feeling supremely powerful in my mind, but really just being that weird Fotinos boy again.

"Can't you talk?"

I slowly turned to stare out the window again....my thoughts on the dark deeds my station as Death compel me to perform.   
I remained dateless throughout my elementary years.

MORE to come.

Rest in Peace,

Prof. Griffin
Horror Historian

poseablemonster

Great photos Prof!  You guys had great costumes.  I bet that Wolf Man make-up job took some time and wig sacrificing! Too cool.

Tom Smith Monsternut

Here are a few of mine .. the youngest I was in any of these was 20 though.. That is still a kid right ? :)

Beast witches..
Tom

Tom Smith " Dr. Deadly"

The Phantom Creep

Wow Prof. great stuff. Love that Wolfman. I also did the grim reaper thing at school but I wore mirrored sunglasses under my skull mask so when you looked into the eyes of death all you saw was yourself. It worked really well.

Love that photobooth devil pic.
"Ladies and gentlemen, please do not panic. But  SCREAM!! Scream for your lives!!"

Jim Bertges

Wow, these are great photos from everyone. What memories they recall. Keep digging and let's see more.

And here's to all the Moms and Dads who helped in the construction and costuming of all these wonderful creatures.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

Wich2

Great stuff, all...

No sweat, Tom; I'm outa-college age* in that Monster rig, too.

(By the way, Richard, I'm in front of the Jefferson Market Library here in NYC - where a giant spider drops from the tower, during one of the best Halloween parades in the world!)

*NOW, if I can just find that much older pic, of my Dick Smith Handbook-inspired Hull Werewolf...

Best,
-Craig W.