10 Pages of Guests today 8/12/2022

Started by Kidagain, August 12, 2022, 07:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidagain

Very strange that there are 10 pages of guests on the website today and that they have come on within seconds of each other, never saw that before here. I wonder if we are being invaded by some nefarious folks up to no good. If I'm wrong my apologies to those online. Still it's weird.

Mike Scott

A bit unusual, I guess, but I don't think they can cause any harm.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Anton Phibes

The Martians have finally decided to invade.  They started here for obvious reasons,lol.

Sir Masksalot

I sometimes wonder if those figures are even real or not. It makes no sense
to me that there's so little participation here with so many visitors every day
and nearly 9,000 registered members.
Some years ago, a glitch occurred at another message board which increased
the view-counts on our posts, typically in the double digits, to millions overnight!

Mike Scott

Quote from: Sir Masksalot on August 12, 2022, 09:38:10 PM
I sometimes wonder if those figures are even real or not.

All I can tell you, is they've all got different IP numbers.
CREATURE FAN

Kidagain

Just wait until Alien pods pop out of every ones computer and they take over this website! 

marsattacks666

A good majority of UMA Members haven't posted in literally a decade or less. For whatever reason. Fill in the blanks. Some newer Members have stated they were Lurkers, prior to joining the UMA. Luckily, the UMA hasn't had an influx of Trolls.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Hepcat

Quote from: Kidagain on August 12, 2022, 07:47:26 PMVery strange that there are 10 pages of guests on the website today and that they have come on within seconds of each other, never saw that before here. I wonder if we are being invaded by some nefarious folks up to no good.

Such "visitors" are generally search bots. These are typically a tool of spammers looking for opportunities to post free advertising on-line.

:(

Collecting! It's what I do!

Dr.Terror

Quote from: marsattacks666 on August 13, 2022, 10:32:23 PM
A good majority of UMA Members haven't posted in literally a decade or less. For whatever reason. Fill in the blanks. Some newer Members have stated they were Lurkers, prior to joining the UMA. Luckily, the UMA hasn't had an influx of Trolls.

Yeah, what happened to all the older members?   Was there some kind of drama that drove them away?    A bit disheartening peoole just abandoned this place for FB etc... Shocking really.
Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!

Hepcat

Quote from: Dr.Terror on August 23, 2022, 05:30:59 PMYeah, what happened to all the older members?   Was there some kind of drama that drove them away?

Well the deletion of the General forums prompted some people to lose interest:

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=25582.0 

The death of Unknown Primate who got on well with everyone in late 2013 had also reduced a lot of the chatter/banter on the board.

Quote from: Dr.Terror on August 23, 2022, 05:30:59 PMA bit disheartening peoole just abandoned this place for FB etc... Shocking really.

But overall you're correct. It's been Facebook that's acted to kill discussion forums such as this one in the past decade.

:-\

Kidagain

Still miss the HMA, that website dwindled to only a few active posters then shut down. Sad to see it go.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Hepcat on August 24, 2022, 03:44:04 PM
Well, the deletion of the General forums prompted some people to lose interest:

Most were reinstated. Do we really need these?

Non-Monster Toys
Sports
Technology & Video Games
Members Only (Don't even know what this was supposed to be for? It's all members only.)
CREATURE FAN

Hepcat

Quote from: Mike Scott on August 24, 2022, 05:28:37 PMMost were reinstated. Do we really need these?

No we don't. But that's not the point. Certain specific members, e.g. Fester , actually said that they were going to leave the forum because of that specific decision at the time - and they did. Other very active posters including Scatter, Charp and Bigbud just drifted away because much of their posting was of the banter kind.

Bringing the deleted forums back unfortunately doesn't bring these posters back. That may largely be due to the existence of Facebook; I don't know.

Quote from: Mike Scott on August 24, 2022, 05:28:37 PMMembers Only (Don't even know what this was supposed to be for? It's all members only.)

That was a forum visible only to Members who had logged on. I no longer remember what was in it.

:-\

Mike Scott

Quote from: Hepcat on August 24, 2022, 08:01:32 PM
Other very active posters including Scatter and Charp just slowly drifted away because much of their posting was of the banter kind.

If it was all off-topic banter, then why come here?
CREATURE FAN