Monstrous Marquees

Started by Monsters For Sale, September 18, 2012, 05:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsters For Sale

Scared Stiff - Border - International Falls, Minnesota - 1953 - (Postcard)

Not sure why we needed another take on Bob Hopes' Ghost Breakers (1941), but I think it turned out to be one of Martin & Lewis's most popular films.
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Alligator People / Return of the Fly - Anthony - Anthony, Kansas - 1959 - (Postcard)

What a great double bill!  Pre-60's sci-fi kids were in hog heaven.

Sputnik had flown just two years before.  Soon, Saturday matinee sci-fi would be swamped by outer space stories and tales of aliens.
ADAM

Memphremagog

The Lyric Theater: 42nd St,. New York 1971

Abominable Dr.Phibes w/ Yog, Monster From Space

DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Monsters For Sale

(Click on picture for larger image.)

Big Trouble In Little China & Enter the Dragon - Apollo

Psycho III & Fear No Evil - Times Square

Aliens &  Dungeonmaster - Lyric                    - New York City, New York - 1986

Three 1986 releases head-lining three earlier releases.  Just beyond the Lyric is the corner of the Victory/New Victory (whichever it was being called this year.)

ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Gate, The & Texas Chainsaw II & Eye of the Tiger, The - Times Square - New York City, New York - 1987

Just one year later...  The Times Square Theater is doing triple features and the Apollo Theater is boarded up.

(On the bright side - the city has added color!)
ADAM

Hepcat

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on April 28, 2019, 02:04:23 AMJust one year later...  The Times Square Theater is doing triple features and the Apollo Theater is boarded up.

Very sad. Times Square was still a fun place well into the eighties.

:(
Collecting! It's what I do!

Monsters For Sale

Creature From the Black Lagoon - Joy Theater - Canal Street - New Orleans, Louisiana - 1954 - A

Creature From the Black Lagoon - Joy Theater - Canal Street - New Orleans, Louisiana - 1954 - B

Don't have the exact date on this one, but I'm guessing it is a Tuesday, since that is mentioned on the Creature's genitals.

And notice the figure walking around above the marquee in the 2nd picture?   I've tried to blow it up for a clearer view, but all I get is a really blurred image.  But I'd just about swear it is someone in a Creature costume.

ADAM

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on October 08, 2020, 10:33:06 AM
I've tried to blow it up for a clearer view, but all I get is a really blurred image. .

Yeah, that never works, because you're not adding any new information. That could be some sort of Creature suit, though!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mike Scott

"Eye of the Tiger"?  Is that the Sinbad movie?
CREATURE FAN

Hepcat

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on October 08, 2020, 10:33:06 AM

Creature From the Black Lagoon - Joy Theater - Canal Street - New Orleans, Louisiana - 1954 - A

Don't have the exact date on this one, but I'm guessing it is a Tuesday, since that is mentioned on the Creature's genitals.

Man, those were the days! A big theatre on the main street of a big city with a big hit movie drawing a huge crowd!

:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on October 08, 2020, 11:07:44 PM
"Eye of the Tiger"?  Is that the Sinbad movie? 

"The Gate" is 1987.

"Eye of the Tiger" is the 1986 film starring Gary Busey in a kind of "Walking Tall" type movie.
ADAM

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on October 09, 2020, 12:37:20 AM
"Eye of the Tiger" is the 1986 film starring Gary Busey in a kind of "Walking Tall" type movie.

Oh! Does it feature that song?
CREATURE FAN

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mike Scott on October 09, 2020, 01:30:09 AM
Oh! Does it feature that song?

Mike. I believe the song Eye of the Tiger was only featured in Rocky III(1982)
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."