Favorite Home Video Releases Of 2019

Started by Memphremagog, December 27, 2019, 05:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Memphremagog

This year saw some really great releases in classic horror and sci-fi on both Blu-ray and dvd formats. There were silent era through the '70's and '80's of some movies that had been previously released but were remastered and had added goodies with them, also ones that have not been available previously that are now out there. Did you purchase any releases that you think were outstanding? If so, share them with us here.  :)

Some of my favorites:

RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE(1943) Just for the extras only, this BD was worth it. Three commentaries, the film release from the '60's for projectors and the original trailer all combine to make a wonderful Lugosi release.

UNIVERSAL HORROR VOL.1(1934-1940)

Featuring THE BLACK CAT(1934). THE RAVEN(1935), THE INVISIBLE RAY(1936) and BLACK FRIDAY(1940). Another fantastic release with these classic Universals with commentary on all the films, plus a documentary on the production of each one. Certainly worth a look for the Black Cat alone.

DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Mord

I'll have to second that. The Uni Horror Collection Vol. 1 is exceptional. I also want to mention the Tarantino "Once Upon a Time in...hollywood" 4K/Bluray set. "Ready or Not" also put a big smile on my face. All three have wonderful extras, as well.

Mord

I forgot to mention "Crawl" & "Midsommar" (both 2019). Great, modern horror flicks (Though, I wish "Midsommar" had more extras).

Joseph_Baeza

For me, the 5 best releases of 2019 are:

1) Criterion's Godzilla Showa-Era collection (Blu-ray)
2) 2001 - A Space Odyssey (4K)
3) The Universal Horror Collection Vol. 1 (Blu-ray)
4) The Shining (4K)
5) An American Werewolf in London (Arrow 4K)