Board game display

Started by Wolfman, August 24, 2018, 08:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfman

A question for anyone who has a vintage board game that they have on display. Do you lean it against a wall, lay it flat, or perhaps put it in a display case? If the latter, where would you find one with those dimensions?  Reason I'm asking, I just acquired the Godzilla game from 1963, so I would greatly appreciate any and all tips.

Thanks,
JP

Allhallowsday

Congrats on a great game.  I would put it as the background of a display in a cabinet, with other items in front of it. 
If you want to view Paradise, simply look around and view it.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Wolfman on August 24, 2018, 08:12:12 PM
. . or perhaps put it in a display case? If the latter, where would you find one with those dimensions? 

You'd have to have one custom made. Google "custom acrylic display case".
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Wolfman

Quote from: Mike Scott on August 27, 2018, 02:25:38 PM
You'd have to have one custom made. Google "custom acrylic display case".
There's one on eBay now for $95. Seems a little pricey. I have it in my display case, leaning against the glass as a backdrop. I'm thinking that should be okay, as it displays very well.

JP

Mike Scott

Quote from: Wolfman on August 27, 2018, 09:33:26 PM
Seems a little pricey.

I hate it when the container to put things in (including poster frames) costs more than the thing you're putting into it!
CREATURE FAN

Wolfman

Quote from: Mike Scott on August 27, 2018, 09:40:01 PM
I hate it when the container to put things in (including poster frames) costs more than the thing you're putting into it!
Yes indeed!

JP

Monsters For Sale

How about one of those "frameless" frames that is nothing more than a piece of acrylic with the same sized backing and unobtrusive plain, metal clips to hold them together?

Shouldn't be very expensive to have one cut to size at a place like Michaels Crafts.
ADAM

Hepcat

I keep mine in an ordinary Buehler cabinet widely available in furniture stores:

But, as you can see, while the storage capacity is large very little of the box graphics are visible. Unfortunately board game collections require mega display space.

:-\

Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

When I decided to expand my collecting efforts to board games and lunch boxes circa 2005, I knew I'd have to use a rifle shot approach or else display space would quickly become a very real problem given the size of these items. I wanted to avoid the Rick Polizzi scenario. He started collecting board games after stumbling upon one in a thrift shop in the late eighties that he'd had as a kid. By late 1990 his collection had grown to over 400 board games:

Evidently his collection would continue to grow to well over 1500!

I therefore decided to limit my purchasing to only those board games which looked like they could be new old stock. Still I succeeded in finding some on delightful themes/subjects!

Here are a couple of pictures showing super collector Desi Scarpone's approach to displaying a very few of the games from his collection of over 6000:

Like I say, properly displaying board games requires mega space!

:(

Mike Scott

Holy crap! And that only a third of his (eventual) collection!
CREATURE FAN

mjaycox

I just callously leave my displayed on the floor

Matt
"I don't want to live in the past. I just don't want to lose it."
     -The Two Jakes

Hepcat

How do you avoid tripping on them? And doesn't your wife mind?

???

Hepcat

Quote from: Wolfman on August 24, 2018, 08:12:12 PMA question for anyone who has a vintage board game that they have on display. Do you lean it against a wall, lay it flat, or perhaps put it in a display case? If the latter, where would you find one with those dimensions?  Reason I'm asking, I just acquired the Godzilla game from 1963, so I would greatly appreciate any and all tips.

So what then did you end up doing?

???

Wolfman

Quote from: Hepcat on February 27, 2023, 11:25:52 PM
So what then did you end up doing?

???
Not on display. Still in the closet. However, I do have the Creature mystery game in my display case.

JP

Mcfly22

Quote from: mjaycox on February 12, 2019, 09:44:33 PM
I just callously leave my displayed on the floor

Matt

I never knew they made a Jekyll and Hyde game