Frank N' Stein restaurants

Started by The Phantom Creep, December 07, 2007, 11:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fmofmpls

Thanks Bob for the pics of the Muffler Man turned Frankenstein monster. Yeah .. you gotta get that thing in your front lawn. If you need help with the heist, pm me off list and will begin planning our middle of the night mission. I have a 16' trailer and nice sharp cut off saw. ;)
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

Dr. Madd

Looking at the sign, it reads rathskeller, a german word for a bar below street level.
Madd The Impaler-
Undeadlegend

Dr. Madd- The Original- accept no subsitutes.

Street Worm

Harry Rowan, proprietor of the Frank-N-Stein, beams at his life-size mascot outside the
restaurant at 1909 West End Ave Nashville, TN (Nov. 16, 1983)

The Frank-N-Stein Gary, Indiana (1973)

? Staten Island, NY

Count_Zirock

About 20 years ago, Brinke Stevens and Henry Alvarez were part of a group that was trying to raise financing for a string of Frank-N-Stein restaurants. I remember seeing a brochure for potential franchisees. Henry was to provide the figure to decorate the restaurants. From what I understand, Universal Pictures tried to block it. This led to investors shying away from it. I think one or two places did open up, and one was eventually remodeled into a dinosaur-themed restaurant.
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

raycastile

I'm surprised Universal didn't stomp on this in the 1970s.
Raymond Castile

Monsters For Sale

I don't see much evidence for a chain of Frank 'n' Stein restaurants.  They all seem to treat the middle initial differently.  The letter is given lower case and upper case.  Sometimes an apostrophe appears before, sometimes after, sometimes  before and after.  There is no agreement on whether the name should be Stein, Steins or Stein's.  The architecture of any one place looks nothing like any other.  And the monster image seems to be unique to the venue being advertised.  Even the ones that have Frank holding a frank in one hand and a stein in the other can't decide on which hand holds what.

I've tried to locate some of these places using Google Maps.  The few I have found all look like mom & pop, hole in the wall, strip mall kinda places.

Anywho...  Here is one in Lansing, Michigan:

ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Here is an ad for one in Boston.  They showed movies!  I wonder if they showed monster movies on big TV's?

ADAM

Monsters For Sale

And an old one from St. Louis, MO.  Note the phone number still uses an exchange and has only 4 digits.  That adds up to only 6, unlike the standard 7 digit number we use today.

ADAM

Monsters For Sale

ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Here is a 9 in., 20 oz. glass from Sugar Land, TX.  It promotes "Monster Beer Wednesdays".  The logo on the back reads, "Monster Size Does Matter".

Doesn't live up to the "Stein" image, but pretty cool, anyway.

ADAM

Monsters For Sale

This Lewisburg, PA place token does not even push the franks:

ADAM

Monsters For Sale

The one in Byron, MN gave out this token:

I have it listed as being for "One Bar Pour or Bottle - Value $3.25", but I don't find an image of the other side.

ADAM

Monsters For Sale

This establishment gives no location, but it has the slogan "terribly tasty", if that helps anyone recognize it.

The Mug is VERY thick and has a chunky bottom.  It is quite heavy even when empty.

ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Here is a place in Pittsburg, PA that still shows up on Google Maps.  It is actually at 635 Sangree Rd, nearby the junction of Thompson Run Rd.  There is not a lot around it.

ADAM