What are your favourite Aurora monster model kits?

Started by Hepcat, February 13, 2012, 12:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Vote for your five favourite Aurora monster model kits!

Raycastile's site has some great pictures of assembled kits:

Gallery of Monster Toys

And here's a thread on the Aurora kits offering more pictures including ones of the box art:

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=13241.0

cl:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mord

I have to say the Phantom is my alltime fave. That diorama with the prisoner at his feet haunted me in my childhood.

Flower

I picked the following five but it was difficult to narrow down to five ...

Bride of Frankenstein
The Witch
Dracula's Dragster
Mummy's Chariot
Wolf Man's Wagon

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

houseofdracula

Visit The House of Dracula (Monster Model Museum) - https://www.facebook.com/houseofdracula

lappys22

Great built ups. I like frank and Dr.J and the rest!

Neoplastic

I went with the Forgotten Prisoner and Frankenstein as my top two choices.  I've always been a sucker for a spooky skeleton figure and I would love to see a reissue of the glow version of the Prisoner. 

Robert W

ChrisW

My list and my reasons...
DRACULA I've always liked Dracula's evocative, unsymmetrical base and full cape over the body - for some reason I love all of that superfluous plastic!
FRANKENSTEIN is the classic - I marvel at the simple sophistication of the pose and base.  Check out the torn, weathered coat, the fold of the lapel, the wrinkles in his pants - beautiful details. And I don't understand people who criticize the sculpt of the face - especially when you consider it was sculpted 1:1 out of an acetate block!
WOLF MAN Lots of people don't like the Wolf Man because it doesn't look like the Chaney. I think as Lemon's artistic interpretation of a Wolf Man it's a winner. The agressive pose, like the Creature, is the most predatory and menacing.  I also like the base when contrasted with the rest of the Aurora line - it creates a variety in the bases which enhances the series.
CREATURE Like I mentioned above, the Creature's predatory pose, combined with the uber coolness of the character itself, put him on my list.
THE WITCH   That beautifully detailed base diorama put it on my list. I like the Bride for the same reason, but the Witch's dirty, musty hovel edged out the bride.

empty13

i voted for creature, phantom, hyde, quasi and maddog/vulture. only built creature and phantom once myself. others never built. but are in the mix.

built all the big 4 at least twice (frank, drac, mummy, wolfman).

Hepcat

The original six kits are perhaps not surprisingly polling well with only Wolfman failing to place among the top six:

Creature 21
Frankenstein 21
Mummy 16
Phantom of the Opera 14
Bride of Frankenstein 12
Dracula 12

I actually thought that the Bride might poll even better! The biggest surprise for me so far though is the strength of the Frankenstein kit in this poll since I think the Frankenstein is a fairly pedestrian sculpt. I guess a lot of respondents are voting for Frankenstein simply because that was the kit that drew them to monster modelling when it was introduced by Aurora in 1961.

:-\

Wolfman

I love the Frankenstein, especially the tombstone base. I agree with ChrisW about the face sculpt. I think it's great, taking in consideration it's from 1961. Superior to the recent Moebius Frankenstein IMO.

JP

Anton Phibes

First lady of Fright will always be my favorite Aurora :P

Mord

Yup, the Aurora Bride is a beauty! I also have to agree with all the positive comments about the Frankenstein face sculpt. It is a true icon of the sixties (and seventies). Think of all the classic toys that used it as inspiration... the Pez dispenser, the Monster Niks, the Ahi figures, to name a few that come to mind.

Jim Bertges

My answer is easy and isn't included in the poll...all of them.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

Hepcat

Quote from: Anton Phibes on February 23, 2012, 06:06:46 PM
First lady of Fright will always be my favorite Aurora :P

I love the intricate detail and layering of her face paint.

8)