Marx Toys!!!

Started by Mego Stretch Hulk, January 23, 2012, 05:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mego Stretch Hulk

New Swass-Cast is up and this time we're talking Marx Toys with former Marx employee Jack Coleman!!! A lot of fun and music with the Juice!!! Enjoy!!!

Swass-Cast - Episode 29 - Marx Toys
I run Saturday Morning Collectibles where we buy, sell and trade everything pop culture. We have 1,000's of items so PM me or email me at johnstretch(*at*)live.com.

Hepcat

Cool! I'll take inventory of my toy collection and post some of my own Marx toys.

:(
Collecting! It's what I do!

bigbud

That was a strange 21 minutes worth of I don't know what. Had to go hug my Rockem Sockem Robots to make things right........Love, Buddy

Hepcat

Quote from: bigbud on January 23, 2012, 07:30:58 PM
Had to go hug my Rockem Sockem Robots to make things right........Love, Buddy

Of course! We understand.

Here are several shots of my own treasured Marx Three Keys to Treasure Bagatelle:

Here's The MAN helping me demonstrate the scale of the piece:

8)

bigbud

Hep, such a nice big game! And the winner gets prizes! I like it!   Buddy

Pauspy

Quote from: bigbud on January 24, 2012, 11:58:11 AM
Hep, such a nice big game! And the winner gets prizes! I like it!   Buddy

Me too! I've never seen the Marx "Three Keys" game before! I used to have a number of the Marx action figures, including the "silver knight", but now I've just started re-collecting. Right now I have a Johnny West and Chief Cherokee in decent condition, with most of their associated hand-candy. I have a few of the western injection-molded figures, but haven't found any of the monster figurines. In my book, Marx came out with some of the best toys/ figures on the market.
Supernatural, perhaps; baloney, perhaps not.

Hepcat

Quote from: Pauspy on January 24, 2012, 03:30:49 PM
In my book, Marx came out with some of the best toys/ figures on the market.

No question. Not to mention the molded figures from the Marx playsets such as the Alamo, Fort Apache and Ben Hur!

8)

CreepysFan

The first toys I remember ever having were the Marx Dinosaur figures. 
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

bigbud

[quoteThe first toys I remember ever having were the Marx Dinosaur figures.  ][/quote]

Yea Creepysfan, those were cool. I still have a bunch of those. Awhile back I sold acouple of molded caves from the Marx Prehistoric set......I was shocked........went for well over $100!  But then again, what price can ya put on nostalgia?  Maybe the buyer lived in a cave as a kid! Ha!   Buddy

Hepcat

Quote from: bigbud on January 24, 2012, 11:58:11 AM
Hep, such a nice big game! And the winner gets prizes! I like it!

The same identical prizes were not packaged with each game sold. There was some variance in the prizes. Because I'm such a fanatic, I've kept any and all non-duplicate prizes.

;)

Quote from: bigbud on January 25, 2012, 12:49:52 AM
Quote from: CreepysFanThe first toys I remember ever having were the Marx Dinosaur figures.

Yea CreepysFan, those were cool. I still have a bunch of those.

Not that I want to open up a can of worms or anything, but I'm curious. In what colours were these Marx dinosaurs molded?

???

bigbud

QuoteNot that I want to open up a can of worms or anything, but I'm curious. In what colours were these Marx dinosaurs molded?

Yellow, rose, and vile green......with a bar over the date. And the plastic is still warm from the mold........you nut.........

Mego Stretch Hulk

Quote from: bigbud on January 23, 2012, 07:30:58 PM
That was a strange 21 minutes worth of I don't know what. Had to go hug my Rockem Sockem Robots to make things right........Love, Buddy

;D
I run Saturday Morning Collectibles where we buy, sell and trade everything pop culture. We have 1,000's of items so PM me or email me at johnstretch(*at*)live.com.

Hepcat

I don't believe that I was ever aware of the Marx playsets in their full glory when I was a kid. Sure I accumulated a bunch of toy soldiers and animal figures over the years out of rack packs sold at corner variety stores and elsewhere, but I don't remember ever seeing a full Marx playset of any sort. None of my friends had one. I don't remember seeing any in the downtown Kresge, Woolworth, Metropolitan or Zellers five-and-dime stores that my mother haunted. Nor did the corner hardware stores where I bought many of my model kits stock the Marx playsets. I guess these sets were sold in the toy departments of the full-fledged department stores such as Eaton's and Simpson's but my mother steered me well clear of those. Nor did Marx advertise these playsets on TV.

But I've now had the good fortune to make the acquaintance of several very keen Marx playset and/or dinosaur figure enthusiasts/collectors including Horrorhunter and Bigbud on this board. They've infected me with their enthusiasm and as a result I've now developed quite the appreciation for the playsets myself. At some point I'd liked to acquire several of the Marx playsets with the following being particularly high on my list of priorities:

Prehistoric Times

Dinosaurs! Wow!

Ben Hur

I've been a big fan of the Romans since I was a kid.

Western sets featuring Cowboys and Indians.

Me I've always cheered for the Indians!

Wow, Mohawks! Talk about cool!

8)

Dr. Acula

I had lots of cool Marx toys growing up. Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots, of course.

As for playsets, I had the Guerilla Warfare set:

and the Knights & Vikings playset:

Both of these had small, ca. 25mm, figures.

Also had a 12 inch Noble Knight (Silver):

Had tons of Tinykins and Disneykins and Warriors of the World figures, too.

But my favorite Marx toy was a wind-up King Kong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZo1XvrFJY8

None of these pictures are mine, by the way. Those toys are all long since lost ... except for Kong! I still have him, but he's in rough shape and no longer works. Still, he's a treasured relic from my youth!

Hepcat

Quote from: Dr. Acula on July 11, 2019, 08:48:49 PM

Had tons of Tinykins and Disneykins and Warriors of the World figures, too.

Yes, these!

A collecting buddy of mine in Ottawa says that he now has nearly every Marx Disneykin, Tinykin and Fairykin ever made including many boxed specimens. Here's a picture of his display cabinet:

8)