Which monster cereals do you like the best?

Started by Hepcat, May 25, 2012, 02:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Quote from: vintagehalloweentoys on September 21, 2012, 10:03:38 PMIs Quisp considered a Monster Cereal?.....I know it's a retro sugary delight, but Monster Cereal....no.

Quisp is a space alien like the Metaluna Mutant or one of the Flying Saucer Men. Quisp is therefore a monster.

u6juu

Quote from: Count_Zirock on September 21, 2012, 10:32:39 PM
I concur. It's a great cereal, but only Frankenberry, Count Chocula, Boo-Berry, Fruit Brute, and Yummy Mummy were MONSTER CEREALS. I wouldn't even include Freakies, and they were a hord of monsters!

That's a contradiction! How can a cereal featuring a whole hoard of monsters not be a monster cereal?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

voodoodaul

Quote from: Hepcat on September 21, 2012, 10:48:57 PM
Quisp is a space alien like the Metaluna Mutant or one of the Flying Saucer Men. Quisp is therefore a monster.

u6juu

That's a contradiction! How can a cereal featuring a whole hoard of monsters not be a monster cereal?

???

This might be a can of worms... but I usually put monsters in a different category than aliens. OCCASIONALLY, they can overlap...but not usually.  I'd say Quisp, not monster. Freakies, monsters.

Ghost

Quote from: Hepcat on September 21, 2012, 10:48:57 PM

u6juu

???

I'm not sure I would classify something as a monster cereal just because it involves aliens or that a mutant is always considered a monster, for that matter the word monster does not necessarily a monster make in my opinion.

For example Aliens that are not monsters in my book.

E.T.

C-3PO (alien robot, not an alien? Think of the space robot Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still)

Yoda

Freakies (space)

Quisp

Stitch

Cozmic Captain

Moonbeams and Moonbums Moonmen from Moonstone Cereal

Ogres that are not monsters in my book.

Shrek

Monsters that are not monsters in my book.

Sulley Monster

Honey Monster from Sugar Puffs

Freakies

Cocoa Freakies

Fruity Freakies

Chocolate Crunch Monster Chockle from Choco Crunch

Mutants that are not Monsters in my book

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

X-Men

Dinosaurs that are not monsters in my book

Reptar

Dinersaurs

Dino

voodoodaul

Freakies are debatable. I think they could go either way. I forgot they rode around on those little cookie things which double as saucers of sorts.

frankenstein73

Mirabile dictu,don't you agree?

Ghost

Some monster cereals that are missing:

Addams Family with collectible flashlights.

Thing

Cousin It

Uncle Fester

Lurch

Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters 2

Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters

Gremlins

Ghosties

Monster Pops

Halloween themed cereals

Spooky Marshmallow Fruit Loops

Frightening Fruit Loops

Haunted Manor Fruit Loops

Freaky Fruit Loops

Spooky Fruit Loops

Haunted Apple Jacks Manor

CinnaScary Apple Jacks

Howlin' Apple Jacks

Jack 'O' lantern

Halloween Crunch

Kreepy Rice Krispies

Halloween Rice Krispies

Kooky Cocoa Rice Krispies

Creepy Cocoa Rice Krispies

Haunted Cocoa Rice Krispies Manor

Limited Edition Lucky Charms with Spooky Marshmallows

Candy Corn Pops

Halloween Brew Waffle Crisp

Honorable mentions

Scooby-Doo

Cinnamon Marshmallow Scooby-Doo

Count_Zirock

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Ghost

In my opinion as a child of the 1970s and 1980s Monster Cereals will always mean the top dogs from General Mills. I still remember when they were shaped like buttons and had a completely different taste than the newer ghost shapes and when they added ghost and later bat marshmallows and monstermallows.

Boo Berry

Count Chocula

Frankenberry

Fruit Brute

Fruity Yummy Mummy

I guess you could say that I am opinionated/partial to my monster cereals.

Ghost

Prizes

Other cool Monster Cereal Stuff

CreepysFan

In the 70's there were regular FREAKIES, COCO FREAKIES, and FRUITY FREAKIES.  The space version didn't appear until the early 80's.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Hepcat

Quote from: Ghost on September 22, 2012, 12:23:33 AM...for that matter the word monster does not necessarily a monster make in my opinion.

How then does an entity land on your exclusive list of monsters? What must it be/do?

Secondly, do you not think my poll would be both diminished and rather boring if I didn't have the Freakies, Quisp and Other options?

The lists you've posted of monster and non-monster cereals though are absolutely staggering in their extent! I'm in awe! Thank you very much for posting them.

This seems to be a particular area of expertise of yours. Are you a cereal box or cereal premium collector? Is there a book or website listing all this information?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Ghost

Quote from: Hepcat on September 22, 2012, 08:22:59 AM
How then does an entity land on your exclusive list of monsters? What must it be/do?

Secondly, do you not think my poll would be both diminished and rather boring if I didn't have the Freakies, Quisp and Other options?

The lists you've posted of monster and non-monster cereals though are absolutely staggering in their extent! I'm in awe! Thank you very much for posting them.

This seems to be a particular area of expertise of yours. Are you a cereal box or cereal premium collector? Is there a book or website listing all this information?

???

In the common vernacular when talking about Monster Cereals generally it is accepted that it refers to the General Mills Monster cereals Boo Berry, Frankenberry, Count Chocula, Fruit Brute, and Yummy Mummy. Possibly because they are marketed as such. I think the criteria for me is that it fits the dictionary definition of a creature hideous either physically or mentally, or abhorrent that causes fear. I know that we are talking about cutesy versions marketed to children but Count Chocula is based off Dracula with a Bela Lugosi type accent, Frankenberry off Frankenstein's monster with a British Boris Karloff type accent, Fruit Brute off the Wolf Man, Yummy Mummy off the Mummy, and Boo Berry off a classic ghost with some reference to The Phantom of the Opera and a Peter Lorre voice. Traditionally all are forms of monsters based off of legendry and classic literature or films, ghosts, werewolves, vampires, and the undead. The monsters from the monster cereals legitimately try to scare children even if they are not always successful. Technically a lot of those that I featured as non monsters are actually monsters if only nominally and even E.T. scared children and adults alike, however they did not inspire in me that creepy feeling when looking at monster or Halloween related items that I love like the monster cereals do. Freakies are borderline but to me they are an everyday "monster" such as the Cookie Monster and are not spooky. The monster cereals are always depicted as being scary even if it was unintentional and even to themselves. Quisp is not a monster yes he is an alien but until he does something monstrous it won't count at least not for me. In the commercial you posted he is called on by the earthlings for help! He isn't even as scary as Marvin the Martian who at least tried to disintegrate the planet .

The First Boo Berry Commercial

80s *Count Chocula* Cereal Commercial

General Mills Yummy Mummy Commercial
General Mills Yummy Mummy Commercial]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxepLzOdHu8#]General Mills Yummy Mummy Commercial
[/url]

Frankenberry

General Mills Fruit Brute Cereal Commercial

1977 Monster Cereals "Monsters of Stage" Commercial

I do not think you were wrong to put other options in the polls as others clearly view Freakies as monsters and that is the basis of a poll to determine public opinion. I have stated mine and voted as such. To each their own. For me I need a spooky vibe to be monstrous.

My mother has given me a box of monster cereal ever since I can remember around Halloween and still does and I am 35 years old! This may have biased my opinions.

Ghost

If my vote were not limited to three I would have voted for

1. Count Chocula General Mills 1971

2. Boo Berry General Mills 1972

3. Frankenberry General Mills 1971

4.  Post Ghosties which actually never made it to production

Casper the Ghost for 'Post Ghosties' cereal

5. Addams Family Cereal Ralston 1991

6. Ghost Busters Cereal Ralston 1985

6 1/2. Real Ghost Busters Cereal Ralston 1985

7. Fruit Brute General Mills 1974

8. Yummy Mummy General Mills 1988

9. Super Sugar Crisp Post 1976

10. Sugar Post Mort-mmmms fantasy

Ghost

Ghost

From a cool blog Cereal Killers Fantasy Cereals http://idigcerealkillers.blogspot.com