Stephen King Novels

Started by Dr Spankenstein, June 11, 2012, 12:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general gruesome

I would like to see a release that had all his short stories, unpublished/unfinished works, etc from the 1950s to around the early '70s - There are some stored in his 'papers' in a building in Maine, but I would like to read some of his real early stuff, alot of the plots I read they had a lot of the same style of 1950s horror/crime/mystery ones -

frankenstein73

I read every steven king book i could find in my teens, multiple times.  until tears of the dragon or whatever that thing was? Ive only read a handfull of his newer books. They are hit and miss. Love the dark tower series.  The mist was my all time favorite story, i was very dissapointed in that movie. The ending was ridiculous. I might suggest reading Robert McCammon books, he became one of my favorites back in the day. Swan song is a great book, and they thirst was a very different take on vampire stories for its time. Boys life, and gone south are great adventures to read that took me back to the feeling of being a kid again. All his books are good reads IMO.
Mirabile dictu,don't you agree?

horror1o1

Quote from: Dr Spankenstein on June 11, 2012, 12:58:58 PM
I've seen a number of movies inspired by the man's books, but I'm now just starting to read the novels.  I read Misery when I was a kid and I'm currently reading Salem's Lot.  What are some others worth reading?

I hear it is pretty Awesome and better than the movie. Which I really like the movie.
It's all about the Horror.

Dr Spankenstein

Quote from: frankenstein73 on August 08, 2012, 01:32:01 AM
I read every steven king book i could find in my teens, multiple times.  until tears of the dragon or whatever that thing was? Ive only read a handfull of his newer books. They are hit and miss. Love the dark tower series.  The mist was my all time favorite story, i was very dissapointed in that movie. The ending was ridiculous. I might suggest reading Robert McCammon books, he became one of my favorites back in the day. Swan song is a great book, and they thirst was a very different take on vampire stories for its time. Boys life, and gone south are great adventures to read that took me back to the feeling of being a kid again. All his books are good reads IMO.

I haven't read The Mist but I really enjoyed the movie, and I thought the ending was great.

I just started reading IT.  I'm only a handful of pages into it, but so far, so good. 

general gruesome

It's called, Eyes of the Dragon, I read it awhile back, it's pretty good. Stephen King said, The Mist film was one of his favorite book-to-films of his work

general gruesome

Alot of his short stories are great

Dr Spankenstein

Alright, so far I've read Salem's Lot, Night Shift, IT and just finished The Shining.  I think my favorite so far is Salem's Lot.  I really enjoyed IT and The Shining, but the one thing that ruined those novels for me were the happy endings.  I really wanted King to end the stories with bleaker endings, like finding out Pennywise really wasn't dead.  Instead, the characters ride off into the sunset.  Same with The Shining.  I wanted Danny to have some sort of shine that told the readers that the horror wasn't over.  The books were great, but those were the only things I didn't like.  I felt like King was giving his readers too much of a "Hollywood" ending. 

Zackuth

I might suggest reading Robert McCammon books, he became one of my favorites back in the day.    they thirst was a very different take on vampire stories for its time.

I did read They Thirst and was very entertained by it--until the ending.  I felt as though he did not know how to end his story and decided to give the reader something.  I felt cheated out of an ending and because it that They Thirst is the only book of his I have read.
"Listen to them; the children of the night.  What music they make!"  Dracula

Haunted hearse

Quote from: Dr Spankenstein on February 16, 2013, 12:09:24 PM
Alright, so far I've read Salem's Lot, Night Shift, IT and just finished The Shining.  I think my favorite so far is Salem's Lot.  I really enjoyed IT and The Shining, but the one thing that ruined those novels for me were the happy endings.  I really wanted King to end the stories with bleaker endings, like finding out Pennywise really wasn't dead.  Instead, the characters ride off into the sunset.  Same with The Shining.  I wanted Danny to have some sort of shine that told the readers that the horror wasn't over.  The books were great, but those were the only things I didn't like.  I felt like King was giving his readers too much of a "Hollywood" ending.
I had no problem with either ending.  I was bothered by the ending to the Shinning miniseries, which had the hotel being rebuilt.  I remeber the people complaining in the Kubrick version, how the hotel wasn't destroyed at the end.  By the way, when it comes to "The Stand", there was a chapter deleted from the original publication, showing Flag washing up on some tropical island, and the inferance there was that Flag's story wasn't over.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Howler

Pet Cemetery
Cycle of the Werewolf
4 Past Midnight
"That ain't tactics honey. That's just the beast in me."

Dr.Cyclops

"A Castle without a Crypt is like a Unicorn without a Horn" ~ Professor Abronsius