Latest DVDs & BDs in My Collection

Started by geezer butler, July 19, 2014, 04:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeynines

Quote from: Gory Glenn on February 08, 2016, 03:14:43 PM
Haven't seen that one. Let me know how you like it.

I'll let you know tomorrow.
Never did see Children shouldn't play with dead things. Looks like I'm going to have pick that up on the 23rd.
Joe

Gory Glenn

Quote from: Joeynines on February 08, 2016, 03:21:24 PM
Never did see Children shouldn't play with dead things. Looks like I'm going to have pick that up on the 23rd.

It's really cheesy 70's horror. Some like it, some don't. It's definitely creepy and a lot of fun IMHO. You may want to read some of the reviews here before you spend the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Children-Shouldnt-Play-Dead-Things/dp/B003L1YESE/ref=tmm_dvd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1454963055&sr=1-1

YoungestMonsterKid

It has bad acting but is a great movie.

neonnoodle

I feel the need to chime in on "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things".

It has cheesy rough edges all around, and some less than spectacular performances.  It's what I think of when I think of ultra low- to no-budget horror in the 1970's.  There are plenty of things to criticize.   It might be good, if you plan to see it for the first time, to be aware that this is more or less a film by amateurs with a budget of almost nothing.  And not a whole lot of experience either.

But...

It's also VERY serious about trying to be scary, and it has a nightmarish quality, both during the long buildup and the zombie "payoff," that no other film has.  It has a very intense and uniquely unpleasant feel.

When I was a wee kid in the 1970's, I saw it on late night TV, and I would say it's the first "real" horror movie I ever saw.  It made quite an impression, and I've loved it ever since.
Beautiful moving, shifting colors!

See TRANSLUCE: Rainbow Meditation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz5aqIhYI_Q

zombiehorror

You can preview it on Youtube before you spend the dough....unless you really want to take the chance; I've always enjoyed it, still got it on VHS.

Gory Glenn

Quote from: neonnoodle on February 09, 2016, 10:41:47 AM
I feel the need to chime in on "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things".

It has cheesy rough edges all around, and some less than spectacular performances.  It's what I think of when I think of ultra low- to no-budget horror in the 1970's.  There are plenty of things to criticize.   It might be good, if you plan to see it for the first time, to be aware that this is more or less a film by amateurs with a budget of almost nothing.  And not a whole lot of experience either.

But...

It's also VERY serious about trying to be scary, and it has a nightmarish quality, both during the long buildup and the zombie "payoff," that no other film has.  It has a very intense and uniquely unpleasant feel.

When I was a wee kid in the 1970's, I saw it on late night TV, and I would say it's the first "real" horror movie I ever saw.  It made quite an impression, and I've loved it ever since.

Well put neonnoodle. As god awful as the acting and production quality of this movie is most people like it for the reasons you stated. I have the old VCI DVD and the picture quality is pretty poor. I'm hoping that they put some effort into cleaning it up a little for the blu-ray release. The fact that this movie is even getting a blu-ray release is pretty amazing.

ChristineBCW

Neon, your review of this bad film is one of the reasons I love forums - to hear someone justify their preferences and favorites, and hopefully learn enough about those individuals so I can "consider the source". 

Your argument to "remember this is a low/no-budget film" is well-taken, but it's the other comments that make this intriguing.  You talk about the poor acting, script, direction but also mention that the focus is to make the film SCARY.  That's so important for filmmakers to convey: "Here's my goal.  I'm coming to the plate.  I'm pointing out where my homerun's gonna go - anything less, and I'll accept that error.  But here's my clear goal..."

I gotta appreciate that.  There aren't too many perfect films where the Goals are clearly indicated to the audience, and then those goals are delivered.  In the two cases I have in mind, neither film is great, but they hit their goals 100%.  What's not to appreciate about THAT?!!  After all, hitting the ball is the toughest act in Sports.  Hitting the home-run where it's intended is even more so. 

I'd have never given that film a second thought.  Now I have.  Now I might even look for it.  After all, it's still better than any film I could make!

Nosferatu79

Better than anything I could make, too!

horrorhunter

Jess Franco craziness.  :laugh:

Classic bizarre Franco. Looking forward to seeing the uncut version with special features after just having that chopped up Sinister Cinema DVD.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

neonnoodle

I just got the "Roller Boogie" Blu-ray.

I know it's an odd choice!  It ain't no monster movie.  But it stars Linda Blair and was photographed by Dean Cundey.  And I saw it twice in the theatres when it was new!

Joeynines

What can I say about "Deep Red" that hasn't already been said. Since its announcement of impending release by Arrow Video a few months back it became the second most talked about release, the first being "Pieces". So all I'm going to say is......first off, the transfer work by Arrow Video is outstanding, and secondly, no true horror flick collection can be complete without it. I liked it a lot. Gory Glenn, I hope this helps. Now I'm off to pre-order "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things".

Joe

ChristineBCW

While not exactly the video, here's a bargain, especially if you get a baker's dozen...

I sure hope it's got RGB and RCA connectors on it so I can hook up the Coby VHS deck.  Then, we can watch those Universal tapes just like it was a scratchy TV on a wintry night.  The weatherman said we'd never hit 85 today so the night should be pure winter, here!  "Who's got the sunscreen?"

(Gee - I just noticed.  "Free shipping", too.  I wonder how many pieces 'free shipping' means?)

ChristineBCW

And on another not-a-monster monstrosity note, THE WHIP HAND (1951) is being released on Warners Archive for their new, $21.95 increased price.  Gag. 
http://www.amazon.com/Whip-Hand-Raymond-Burr/dp/B01B6WS91W/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1455277431&sr=1-1&keywords=the+whip+hand

This is an interesting film for Cold War afficionados.  Supposedly, this was a burnt-offering sacrifice to Joe McCarthy's Congressional Hearings to prove not all of Hollywood were commie-pinkos.  The tale has our hero returning to a favorite Minnosota fishing lake to discover no fish lived anymore and many of the long-time residents had 'gone away'.  They were replaced by sinister Raymond Burr and a group of people who spoke in accents and looked out of the corner of their eyes, always squinting and acting threatening. 

Of course, these folks turn out to be commie-pinkos bent on world domination, and our hero and his newly-discovered sweetheart must save the world, starting on the shores of a small Minnesota lake.  As Judy Tenuda once said, "It could happen!"

Honestly, I don' t know how Raymond Burr was allowed to take the bar exam later on.  "Only in California" I suppose.

On a side note, I remain stunned that Warner's MOD strategy has earned more and more increased prices, and that the other studios have followed suit for these last several years.  I am glad they're willing to print up 'on demand' whatever DVD I want, when I want it, but since their supplier of DVD Blanks (JVC Taiyo Yuden) has announced the end of their optical disk manufacturing, we're left hoping that these MOD makers will use Falcons because there really isn't any superior disk-blanks - not for longevity's sake.  And even then, all of these will die a chemical-deterioration death sooner or later. 

This becomes the Real Horror Story.

neonnoodle

Yes, those MOD discs are cool but it's a crapshoot, even when they're new--I've gotten at least one with errors on it that caused the disc to skip.

If you're buying MOD discs, you know you're some kind of aficionado who likes "rare stuff"...with such a limited audience that it just doesn't merit the glass-mastering replication process.   So you can give yourself a pat on the back for being a superior geek!!  Well, you have to feel good about SOMETHING, right?

Memphremagog

Latest buys:

Bloodsucking Freaks

The Headless Ghost

Daughters Of Satan

DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."