Favorite comic book ads

Started by Wicked Lester, March 19, 2011, 05:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbud

I got suckerd in with the ad on back of alot of comics that got you about 100 toy soldiers and vehicles for $1. When I got them they were hard, extremely flat and thin plastic things that hit the trash pronto!  Buddy

Hepcat

I think those sets were called penny flats. This was my favourite ad:

I didn't know it at the time but the artwork was by the incomparable Russ Heath!

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

These two ads were powerful contributing factors in the warping of my impressionable young mind:

cl:)

Wicked Lester

Great stuff Hep.
This has to be one of my fave ads from that era. I remember having the Woods Edge set and being pretty disappointed when it showed up over a month after sending away for it.

FACTO2

Always wanted these except I wanted a version that actually worked...
John Tucky
X-O Facto
http://www.xofacto.com/
"If you go through life without any expectations, you'll never be disappointed."

Gillfan

If only x-ray specs worked, our airport security woes would be over.

Monster Bob

monsterphile

I think I tried to talk my parents into letting me send away for this:

Apparently this is what looked like in person (made of cardboard) and apparently it does NOT use Nuclear power.  lol

Similar items that probably didn't live up to the hype:

...or this contest...

Yeah, a baby raccoon is bound to head into a disaster just klike the monkey. 

Rob

Mike Scott

Quote from: monsterphile on March 20, 2011, 12:09:44 PM
Apparently this is what looked like in person (made of cardboard) and apparently it does NOT use Nuclear power.

That's not the Polaris Sub. It's some kind of jet, but they were both made of printed cardboard.

I wish somebody would turn up a news story on the winner of the Gemini craft!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

I sent away for the Jiu-Jitsu booklet on this page because I too wanted to be tough.

It didn't work, primarily I imagine because the buggers didn't send it. That's what comes of stuffing Canadian money into an envelope addressed to a dodgy U.S. company.

:(