Monster candy??

Started by Dr.Terror, December 12, 2007, 06:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlhenderson

Charles S. Anderson has produced a few books dealing with kitchy designs from the 60's. Some of the images are nice, but many are manipulated or overprinted with other images for "artistic" effect. Here's the one with some horror content.

Barlow

Hey Phantom Creep, what's that Count Yorga House of Horrors button on page one of this thread? I've never seen or even heard of that. Where's it from?

fmofmpls

Quote from: Richard on November 25, 2008, 09:25:08 PM
Many of these showed up in Minnesota because the item was produced here~right in me own home state! :D

That must explain why I have a set of these cards.

Thanks Richard for the incredibly informative post regarding the French Rayon monster cards. After you mentioned the recalled cards, I ran to my monster room and checked my box of cards for any controversial cards. Unfortunately, there's no controversy inside my box; only politically correct monster cards.  :(
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

The Phantom Creep

Hey this thread was started almost a year ago!

Barlow, I don't really know anything about the Count Yorga button. I don't even remember where I got it! Possibly off ebay but I've had it for years. The front is actually a white sticker stuck onto some other button. I can't make out what the button originally was. So I don't know if this is something some fan just made or if it was a real short run produced for some local haunted house or what.
"Ladies and gentlemen, please do not panic. But  SCREAM!! Scream for your lives!!"

Hepcat

Quote from: fmofmpls on December 14, 2007, 11:00:41 PM
Here we go guys. Circa late 80s. Woolworth's sticker of $3.99 for 100 pieces.

Any Mummy boxes in that bag?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

zman1981

Unlikely.  I see a green creature box in there.  Creech was originally blue, while the mummy was green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hepcat

Quote from: The Phantom Creep on December 13, 2007, 02:05:59 AMI own an unopened bag of the 60's CANDY version boxes. It contains 70 boxes with I believe 13 or 14 Mummy boxes (it's been awhile since I counted). The original Mummy boxes don't pop up very often and when they do I believe they go for a good bit.

Here is a photo containing the bag. Sorry it's not a better picture but since my camera is dead this is as good as it's gonna get for now.

I would love to know more about the CIGARETTE version. Did they do the other monsters in this style as well?

I doubt very much that the bag is from before the early eighties. The anti-smoking, anti-kiddie fun brigade hadn't gotten rid of candy cigarettes until the eighties.

???

skully

Hey guys, the monster candy cigarettes in the tiny box's came out in the mid-sixties, around 63 or 64. I remember them. I have a few of the original box's, they have the date 1963 on them on an end flap. To find one today is tough, they are rare. I also have an original bag, dated 1963 that they came in. Clear bag with great graphics, originally contained 80 pieces, Glen Strange Frankenstein with house and tree in background on left, dracula shooting "rays" out of his eyes hitting frightened halloween cat, mummy comming up out of the ground, and a bat flying around. On the back, great image of wolfman and phantom. Saw it on e-bay years ago, couldn't believe one still existed! Hardly any bidders at the time, snagged it. Bag is dated 1963 Universal Pictures, by World Candy. I know you'll want pictures, but I don't have a camera to post, and really don't know how to do it anyway. Maybe someone else has a bag, or it could be found another way?

Hepcat

Do you have a photocopier/printer?

???

If not any print shop could scan it and send the scans to your email address. If you then forwarded the email with the pictures to me, I could post the pictures.

:)

freddie poe

i always thought i had a set of these candy cigs but when i looked i dont have a Mummy!! Dam! another thing to find!

Hepcat

To really be complete though you need both a set of "Candy Cigarettes" ones as well as a set of "Candy" ones. After all, the box colours are different too!

;)

zman1981

Quote from: skully on July 22, 2015, 10:28:10 AM
Hey guys, the monster candy cigarettes in the tiny box's came out in the mid-sixties, around 63 or 64. I remember them. I have a few of the original box's, they have the date 1963 on them on an end flap. To find one today is tough, they are rare. I also have an original bag, dated 1963 that they came in. Clear bag with great graphics, originally contained 80 pieces, Glen Strange Frankenstein with house and tree in background on left, dracula shooting "rays" out of his eyes hitting frightened halloween cat, mummy comming up out of the ground, and a bat flying around. On the back, great image of wolfman and phantom. Saw it on e-bay years ago, couldn't believe one still existed! Hardly any bidders at the time, snagged it. Bag is dated 1963 Universal Pictures, by World Candy. I know you'll want pictures, but I don't have a camera to post, and really don't know how to do it anyway. Maybe someone else has a bag, or it could be found another way?

Sounds amazing!  Too bad no pics.  I've never heard or seen this version of the bag...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poseablemonster

These are the Candy Cigarettes from 1963 World Candies:
World Candies Monster Candy Cigarettes 1963 by poseablemonster, on Flickr

Mike Scott

Quote from: poseablemonster on July 26, 2015, 10:58:46 AM
These are the Candy Cigarettes from 1963 World Candies:

Cool! I take it there was a Drac and WM, too.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

poseablemonster

These are the only 4 I've seen with the "Candy Cigarettes" on them.  I think the other monsters may have come later, and the Mummy was replaced at some point in the 60's I think.