Last Monster/Horror/Sci-Fi Movie/Show You Watched

Started by Bogey, August 26, 2008, 08:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mord

Grindhouse : Death Proof
Great "hot girls in muscle cars" revenge flick. Kurt Russell is great as the slimy stunt man.

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Monsters For Sale

They Remain, 2018 - Two researchers are working in the heavily forested lands once occupied by a murderous cult.  Their task seems to be to look for explanations for odd animal behavior and possible mass grave sites.

Actors were unknown to me but very good.

A tale of isolation, psychological stress and...  maybe something else.  The silence of their remote location is not broken by an intrusive musical score.  Simple sets and no CGI.

The tension is palpable throughout.  Long stretches without dialogue.  Great blend of obscuring depth-of-field, ominous music and subtle sound effects keeps you wondering what is just about to happen - or what it was that just did happen. 

For people who find dense woods oppressive and claustrophobic, this movie will be uncomfortable.  The producers are obviously trying to play on that emotion.  Unfortunately, it works the opposite for me.  Forests always make me feel like I am being hugged by the mountain.  The soft embrace seems welcoming and relaxes me.  (Maybe I'm weird.)

I wasn't crazy about how the story ended, but I didn't hate it either.  This I one of those films I am really glad I watched, but can't imagine when I might watch it again.
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: marsattacks666 on September 16, 2018, 09:29:56 PM
Emelie-2015

What did you think of this movie?  I haven't seen it.

Most of the reviews I've seen have the  same complaint:  Starts out Gang Busters and ends with a fizzle.

Do you recommend it?
ADAM

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

marsattacks666

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on September 16, 2018, 10:34:16 PM

Most of the reviews I've seen have the  same complaint:  Starts out Gang Busters and ends with a fizzle.

Do you recommend it?

Honestly, I don't really want to review or give an opinion on how I like or disliked the film. In terms of being a good or bad plot, it's really a subjective opinion. I like the film for what it represents. In my eyes, the protagonist was the/my Hero.She(Emelie) was a true Scumf***. Emelie, in most reviews I read where favorable. I also think most film-goers would find Emelie, uncomfortable to watch. I didn't feel the film was uncomfortable to watch. Again, only my opinion.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: marsattacks666 on September 16, 2018, 10:51:20 PM
Honestly, I don't really want to review or give an opinion on how I like or disliked the film. ...

I hope you don't hate it when I do.

I try not to give out any real specifics like, "Boy, you're gonna love it when he chops her head off with the shovel" or "The butler did it."

ADAM

Mord

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on September 16, 2018, 10:34:16 PM

Do you recommend it?

I liked it. It is very dark, though. It may be uncomfortable for those who don't like children in peril. I don't have that problem.  The ending wasn't bad. Most horror endings serve as a set-up for the sequel. Not here. I would recommend it, but I'm a bit twisted. Btw, the butler did it.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mord on September 17, 2018, 11:11:24 AM
... Btw, the butler did it. 

Typical.  They always do it.

Makes you wonder why anyone would ever hire one of those guys.
ADAM

Mord

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on September 17, 2018, 11:18:42 AM
Typical.  They always do it.

Makes you wonder why anyone would ever hire one of those guys.
I know what you mean. I tread a little lightly,  when my butler is cleaning the cutlery.

horrorhunter

Horror House (1969)  5.5/10  Jill Haworth is the best part of this one by far.

Dawn Of The Dead (Extended Version) (1978)  9/10

! CLASSIC !   Zombie Cool
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Memphremagog

Sherlock Holmes and the Voice Of Terror(1942)
Before I Hang(1940)
The X From Outer Space(1967)
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Memphremagog

The Haunting(1963)
The Living Skeleton(1968)
Chandu the Magician(1932)
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Monsters For Sale

The Untamed, 2016 - Some six or eight individuals are acting out their sexuality in uncharacteristically overt ways.  They do not appear to be in complete control of their compulsions.

The young actors are unlikely to be known to you.  I thought the acting was excellent.

This is a Mexican movie, filmed in 16mm and entirely in Spanish.  There are English subtitles for both the feature and the Making Of extra.  The photography is very well done.  It is presented in 1.66:1 format.

Not a horror story, more of an erotic sci-fi tale.  Here is a film that defies easy classification.  I really don't want you to go in knowing any more than I've told you.

I liked it for its originality and willingness to not over explain itself.
ADAM

marsattacks666

Deep Connections-1971/1983 (VHS there are  various titles.He Watches You, Deep with the Blade/Blade of the Ripper)