Started by JMichaelRoddy, July 10, 2009, 07:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

marsattacks666

Quote from: Universal Steve on June 17, 2014, 11:18:29 AM
I have this House Of Mystery comic which they had Elvira hosting. It is issue #1 and I have never seen anymore with her in it. It was a Halloween special but looked as though it was going to continue.

I have this comic book. Fun read.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Universal Steve

Universal Steve
www.universalsteve.com

tv horror

I have heard that Elvira's story line was continued in the new House of mystery if anyone is interested.
A limerick a day keeps the Baron at bay

RAGMAN

House of Mystery, Weird Tales, The Witching Hour...these were the comics of my youth. I'd jump at the chance to go to a flea market with my aunt or a yard sale with my grandmother because it always meant HORROR COMICS. I still buy them off of the bay and nothing is better than a trip to the man cave to read a new (old) one. The smell of the aged paper is a trip down memory lane every time. Love 'em! Great thread!

~Blue
"Do you think we're robot clean...Does this face look almost mean...Is it time to be an android, not a man..."

horrorhunter

The art in those late silver/early bronze horror comics is inspiring- Neal Adams, Berni (Bernie) Wrightson, Michael Kaluta, Joe Orlando, and so many more. DC ruled the roost, but Marvel & Charleton featured some great art as well. And, of course, Warren was king with monster mags. My favorite monster mag of all is Web Of Horror. It only ran three issues in '69 and '70 but I think it was the best three issues in the history of monster magazines.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

tv horror

I always loved the covers of Gold key's Grimm's ghost stories, lovely colours and detail on each issue.

Wicked Lester

Quote from: tv horror on June 20, 2014, 04:39:40 PM
I always loved the covers of Gold key's Grimm's ghost stories, lovely colours and detail on each issue.
Agreed. And the stories weren't bad either.

zombiehorror

Quote from: marsattacks666 on June 18, 2014, 07:31:53 PM

I have this comic book. Fun read.

Yep, I have that Elvira House of Mystery as well.  I also have a few of the series (5, 6, 11 and a Haunted Holiday Special), not sure how long it ran though?.

Hepcat

Here are scans of my horror themed Black Cat comics:

hmjfym
Collecting! It's what I do!

Wicked Lester

WOW! Nice condition especially #32. VERY Weird Menace style.

tv horror

It is interesting to note how the style of the artist changed in just a few issues, the first scan seems simple by design compared to issue 44 were the artist seemed to have more time to do more detail. Yet again the first scan is the more eye catching and would make me purchase it first. Thank you for the scans Hep cat as always you don't disappoint, now answer me this question would you mention me in your will go on you know you want too.

Hepcat

Quote from: tv horror on June 22, 2014, 08:36:59 PMIt is interesting to note how the style of the artist changed in just a few issues, the first scan seems simple by design compared to issue 44 were the artist seemed to have more time to do more detail.

Part of the apparent change in the style of Lee Elias' art was the change in the Black Cat title from a superhero themed comic in which the focus was on the title character to a horror anthology comic. Here are scans of a few earlier issues:

When Harvey resurrected the title in Giant format with reprinted material in the early sixties, the covers featured Black Cat in supernatural settings:

:-\
Collecting! It's what I do!

Flower

Very nice cover art! ...  ;D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

tv horror

Thanks Hep for the info, I bet that  the last scan is your own personal favorite.