Wallets

Started by Richard, June 22, 2010, 06:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Going through some of my files and I thought I'd throw these pics on UMA. These are some photos of my wallet collection for a project I did for Dan Roebuck (for Monsterpalooza) this year.

Plaque and wallet brochure

These are the magic slate variations. I can't find the pic of the magic slate vs "Look a Monster!" mirror wallet variation right now. Will post it if it turns up.

Size comparison, I guess

darkmonkeygod

As always, thank you Richard. I notice that in the catalogue it reads "Black Only". I assume this refers to the interior vinyl. I have seen a wallet whose exterior (the panel with the printed images is back, as well as on that looked white. Any idea on this aspect? Please do post the mirror variation when you find pix.
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

fmofmpls

Great thread and great pics. Thank you Richard. The monster wallets have always been some of my favorite 60s toys. I own one wallet - a Frank/Phantom combo. But I also own this. It's the original counter top lid to the display box which housed the wallets. I thought I'd share it here for historical purposes. The dimensions of this cardboard display card are approximately 12" x 6.5"

P.S. You must be a registered UMA member to see this pic. It's from our Gallery. Enlist today! It's FREE! Membership has its privileges.  ;)

The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

Bogey

A few questions:

Do they have a "range" of difficulty to come by, or are all about the same rarity?  Can one expect them to usually have some minor cracks in the vinyl?  Estimated cost from a monster dealer that knows what he has?

Thankee!

fmofmpls

I'm not sure if the demand is caused by a level of manufacturing scarcity, or the popular demand of the monster, but the Wolf Man / Creech wallet seems to be the one in high demand. No surprise there as most Creech items are "higher up the totem pole."

Values can range from $150.00 to $600.00 depending on the monster, condition, and if the original contents are there. The median price for these seems to be around $350.00 in nice condition. These wallets came with monster cards and a stylist for the magic slate. Many of the wallets found are without these articles.

fmofmpls

Here are the monster card inserts that came inside the wallets. Pic courtesy of Mike Scott.

Richard

Quote from: Richard on June 22, 2010, 06:57:57 AM
I can't find the pic of the magic slate vs "Look a Monster!" mirror wallet variation right now. Will post it if it turns up.

Notice the Creature and the Wolf Man wallet examples in this picture. The only way I've seen these two monsters available is with each other so this may be the most desirable wallet (Frankenstein and Dracula appear more often in combos). Plus, it's the Creature  ;D BTW, if it's been asked, there are two different monsters to each wallet. I don't know of a same-monster on both sides of the wallet example.
Anyway, notice the SNAP is on the Wolf Man ~this is a MAGIC SLATE version. Then notice the SNAP on the Creature ~ this is the "Look A Monster" MIRROR version (no magic slate but a make-up mirror instead). So, these are the only two versions of the Wolf Man/Creature wallet that I believe exist. I think the mirror version is more rare than the slate.
I will continue to look for my INSIDE comparison picture of these two variations

Richard

Quote from: fmofmpls on June 22, 2010, 12:31:55 PM
Here are the monster card inserts that came inside the wallets. Pic courtesy of Mike Scott.

Thanks for posting the wallet cards AND your beautiful header card, Terry!
My magic slate Wolf Man/Creature example is about as near mint as I can imagine; unused slate and with all the cards in the plastic sleeves. Also,a coupon for Famous Monsters Magazine that was included in the wallet (would figure since these were offered by FM for a while).
As Terry mentioned, the cards and little red magic slate wood stylus can be found missing in many of these things. Also, dirty,torn vinyl sleeves and damaged magic slate could be the result of much child play.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Richard on June 22, 2010, 06:57:57 AM
Size comparison, I guess

Or maybe you just wanted to show off that gorgeous minty looking Horrorscope! (And who could blame you.)

The wallet collection is amazing! I'd be happy with just a Creature/WM wallet.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Richard

Quote from: Mike Scott on June 22, 2010, 01:19:49 PM
Or maybe you just wanted to show off that gorgeous minty looking Horrorscope! (And who could blame you.)

The wallet collection is amazing! I'd be happy with just a Creature/WM wallet.
Yikes, Mike! It looks like that, doesn't it.
But no, there was a reason for including the Horrorscope. I was putting some stuff together for Dan Roebuck's "Captain Company" presentation at MonsterPalooza this year. Just can't remember what the reason was. The Horrorscope and the wallets figured into the Famous Monsters Captain Company story as many know.

Bogey

Thanks for answering all of my questions, folks!

Mike Scott

Quote from: Richard on June 22, 2010, 02:17:38 PM
Yikes, Mike! It looks like that, doesn't it.

So, you're saying looks can be deceiving? (I didn't quite get what you were driving at.)

And I sent you a PM.
CREATURE FAN

Richard

Quote from: Mike Scott on June 22, 2010, 02:46:03 PM
So, you're saying looks can be deceiving? (I didn't quite get what you were driving at.)

No, no, it's the real deal (authentic Horrorscope & wallets). I was thinking you were right- it looked as if I was just showing off a Horrorscope. But, as I mentioned, the 'scope and wallets figured into the project I was doing (Captain Company) so that's why they appear together. Nothing more  :)

I'll PM you a bit later, Mike

Richard

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on June 22, 2010, 08:26:46 AM
As always, thank you Richard. I notice that in the catalogue it reads "Black Only". I assume this refers to the interior vinyl. I have seen a wallet whose exterior (the panel with the printed images is back, as well as on that looked white. Any idea on this aspect? Please do post the mirror variation when you find pix.

Shannon, I think that is exactly what they mean ~black interior vinyl. I believe ALL the outer vinyls of the wallets are white (or very light tan). I know this because I have one wallet that it's seam is coming apart for about an inch in length. The outer shell (the vinyl that the monster images are printed on) is creamy in color. The inner shell and wallet 'guts' (between which, a kid could place a crisp one dollar bill ~if he didn't spend it already on the wallet) is black.

Now, have you seen examples of the pleats (folds) on the end being very light or white instead of dark as they should? I have. I believe it's because the litho is wearing off and the light color vinyl is showing through. It makes sense to me that the outer vinyl would be light since the monsters would be printed on it. Also, scratches on the wallets tend to show up light instead of dark so there ya go. This is only my opinion, of course, but I've got six of these wallets so can see variations and flaws easier than just looking at one.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Richard on June 23, 2010, 03:39:55 AM
I was thinking you were right- it looked as if I was just showing off a Horrorscope.

Oh, that! I was kidding, of course, because that's what I would do if I had one.  :D
CREATURE FAN