Getting Started - basic functions of this forum

Started by fmofmpls, November 26, 2007, 03:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fmofmpls

This forum, like anything else new, will take some time and effort on your part in getting acquainted with. There are many options that are made available to you; some visible, and some not so visible. The best way to learn is to simply get involved. Don't be concerned with making mistakes. Nothing will break, and no one is keeping score. In time, you will become familiar with everything here. Remember though .. it's not going to happen overnight.

The following tips and tutorials feature some basic functions which will assist you in getting started with the least amount of effort. Please do not hesitate to ask questions. That is what this board is for. We do ask however, that you ask your technical questions here at this board; the Induction Center .. and not at the other boards.  Now let's go over some of the basics.

* As an unregistered guest, you are free to browse through the boards and read posts, but you are NOT able to post messages until you register. To register, look for the register link at the top of the main page. Once registered, you are free to create new topics and posts and reply to existing ones.

* HOW TO REPLY - There are two different ways to reply to someone's post. You may click on the "quote" button if you wish to include the text that your replying to. The quote button is to the right of every post. Or you may simply click on the "reply" button which will not include any text from the post your replying to. The reply button is small and may be found at the top of the first post and the bottom of the last post on any given page.

* HOW TO FIND UNREAD POSTS &REPLIES SINCE LAST VISIT - This option enables you to find and read any new posts that were made at the boards since your last visit. This feature is one that you will want to use often. It's easy to find. Look at the top right corner of any page and you will see the links. There is also a "Show New Replies To Your Posts" link. Cool!

* VIEW THE MOST RECENT POSTS - This option will allow you to do exactly what it says - view the most recent posts at the boards whether you've read them already or not. To find this link, look at the very bottom of the home page for the 'Info Center' category. You will see the small link inside there. I know .. it's too small.

* HOW TO BOOKMARK A POST FOR A LATER TIME - This handy feature enables you to bookmark a post that you would like to come back to at a later time. Perhaps you intend to reply to a post, but you don't have the time to do so. This is when you would want to use this feature. By bookmarking a post, you will be able to easily find said post without trying to remember where it was that you first saw it. Cool huh?

The bookmark button is small and may be found at the top of the first post and the bottom of the last post on any given page. Click on it, and this will save the thread for later viewing.

To view your bookmarked posts, look at the top of any given page for the main menu links. There you will find the 'My Bookmark's' link. Click on it to view your saved threads.

The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

Lugosifan1

Quick question, hoe do we post photos? Mario (newbie)
Best, Mario

Mike Scott

Quote from: Lugosifan1 on March 19, 2008, 11:35:52 AM
Quick question, how do we post photos? Mario (newbie)

Copy the URL of the pic and when composing your message, click on the "Insert Image" icon (right below the U icon) and insert the URL between the start and end code. (img)URL(/img)

If you need a place to store pics you want to share, I would suggest:
http://photobucket.com/
or
http://imageshack.us/
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Lugosifan1

Mike on photobucket you have the four selections under your photo, when i click it says copied, but , not the way i use to see it.Thats right click, Right?  mario
Best, Mario

fmofmpls

Hello Mario. I'm not that familiar with Photobucket, but if it's anything like ImageShack you would want to look for the direct image url. Sometimes hosting sites provide you with various url options. Just look for a direct link (url) to your picture. Then place that link in between the image brackets here at this forum. The imgage brackets will appear here at this forum when you click on the image icon right next to the Mp3 icon.

fmofmpls