What are the best garage kit companies?

Started by deadman, February 18, 2010, 08:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drthomasholmes

FYI- Monsters In Motion may just keep your $, and Frontier may as well, a lot of what they sell is junk.

[mod]THIS IS A MODERATION NOTE TO THE POSTER AS WELL AS EVERYONE READING THIS THREAD: If you have personally had experience with them keeping your money and not delivering goods, you are welcomed to share it, factually... As for "may"... ANYONE "may" keep your money and not give you anything in return. Please don't engage in spreading hearsay or use this forum to slam companies you aren't fond of... One man's "junk" is another man's "treasure". If you've received something that is of low quality and the company wasn't willing to correct it, please share photos and descriptions (again, factual!) of your experience. We are not here to serve as a feedback forum for the garage kit industry, and these statements are not meant to encourage ratings and reviews of all garage kit makers. We do want our members to be informed as they make purchase decisions. For those who are not aware, the garage kit industry has been rife with controversy, and the UMA doesn't want to be in the middle of that. Due to issues in the past and the many hard feelings and personal issues between those in the garage kit community, our moderation and stance regarding garage kit threads is more strict than with other types of threads.[/mod]

hammerfan

Ive never had a problem with either one and both have been around for a long time.
Have the Lambs stopped screaming Clarice?....Dr. Lector

empty13

MiM can take a while to deliver garage kits. But i have been happy with them.

Universal Steve

I got a lot of mine from MIM. I have had good luck with them. Since the C D's pickins have been kinda slim. I miss the Aurora box art models. I have all exceor Jekyll and Hyde. I would have liked to see the rest of them made.
Universal Steve
www.universalsteve.com

houseofdracula

Quote from: Universal Steve on February 28, 2010, 11:54:28 AM
I miss the Aurora box art models. I have all exceor Jekyll and Hyde. I would have liked to see the rest of them made.

You and Me Both.
Visit The House of Dracula (Monster Model Museum) - https://www.facebook.com/houseofdracula

Wolfman66

I bought from MIM before mainly on ebay and no problemos :).But would like to see them continue the Aurora boxart kits and make a Godzilla one next ;D
Clint Eastwood in Tarantula 1955-Dropping Napalm.Follow in Order.

Universal Steve

When I talked to them, Frankenstein was supposed to be next. The face of the monster on the box art was not any of the actors that played the part. I was hoping he would still do it but Universal would probably say they own the name just like Disney did to Polar Lights with the Hunchback henceforth the Bellringer of Notre Dame.
Universal Steve
www.universalsteve.com

Todd P.

It's not a question of Universal owning the name "Frankenstein" because it doesn't. Doing an original take on the monster is perfectly acceptable because the novel is in the public domain.

However, Universal does own the flat-headed, neck-bolted look it created for the first Karloff film and carried through various movies, plus Herman Munster. That is unquestionably the look on the Aurora box art. In fact, of all the box art paintings, Frankenstein's Monster may be the one that is most unquestionably the Universal creation.

houseofdracula

Quote from: Wolfman66 on March 04, 2010, 09:01:27 AM
I bought from MIM before mainly on ebay and no problemos :).But would like to see them continue the Aurora boxart kits and make a Godzilla one next ;D

These are my Favorite kits, Ever!
Visit The House of Dracula (Monster Model Museum) - https://www.facebook.com/houseofdracula

Wolfman66

Quote from: houseofdracula on March 05, 2010, 11:59:26 AM

your buildups that you did of the boxart series is my Favs as have yet too see anyone else capture the bama look the way you did on them :).
Clint Eastwood in Tarantula 1955-Dropping Napalm.Follow in Order.

Mitchellmania

BaronLatos35

Quote from: houseofdracula on March 05, 2010, 11:59:26 AM

That is a great Dracula kit. I would love to have one of those. It captures what i was saying earlier about the stone steps/wall base that the original Aurora one was missing IMO.
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

houseofdracula

Quote from: Wolfman66 on March 05, 2010, 12:05:43 PM
your buildups that you did of the boxart series is my Favs as have yet too see anyone else capture the bama look the way you did on them :).

Thanks Wolfie, for those (more than) Kind words.
I'm re-doing my entire website and just posted brand new photos of the Box Art kits.

deadman

Nice work on the Dracula House of D. I collect King Kong Models. You guys see any that really stood out? I have a Geometric that is cool and a Kong on the wall by Jim Davidson.

mjbare

Deadman, before I got to the end of your last post, I was jumping up and down as I was going to say, hey, you gotta get Jim Davidson's Kong kits. You have one, the King of New York as it's called. One of his other ones is where Kong's just about to pick up a young blond actress for the first time called, The Sacrifice. Then he has another he first called the Tribute to Marcel Delgado but now it's called King vs Tyrant (aka T-Rex).

His url is: http://www.fantamationstudio.com/index.html

Michael
Tish, you spoke French!!  You know it drives me wild when you spead French!!!