Scariest werewolf of all time!

Started by SirJon, February 11, 2010, 08:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirJon

I posted a reply earlier today which got me thinking. All you monster fans out there, Whats your scariest werewolf? Classic through modern. Anything goes.

I'm gonna go with one that i'm sure i'll get alot of grief about, But i think the Michael Jackson "cat-like" werewolf is the scariest. For some reason be it the razor sharp teeth or yellow eyes, something about Rick Bakers makeup just scared the crap outta me! Just looked like if he got ahold of you it would be a painful death. And i don't know if you guys remember, but that werewolf Karate chopped a tree, and it fell over!! I'm serious, watch the video! LOL - just a very terrifying transformation too - right from the get go with the yellow eyes and teeth till the end product. The face just had a crazy wildness about it.

Some others on my list would be:

THE HOWLING:
Great transformation and movie but not very scary to me. Too much of a While E. Coyote look.

AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON:
AWL was another one on my list which was also a great transformation and super scary werewolf. I think the 4 legged-ness of it is one thing i didn't like. I feel like a werewolf should walk up right. Maybe it's my roots lying w// lon chaney jr's wolfman but i also feel like a short werewolf cant reach me in a tree or something - LOL - i dunno - i feel like if i got in the car and locked the door "he cant open the door hes too short!"

Obviously the old universal wolfman and werewolf in london are great too but maybe to dated to be the scariest. Werewolf in london did scare me though. I liked the face and expression you could see through the makeup.

What are your favorites?

SIDE NOTE in regards to werewolf movies: "Dog Soldiers" was a great werewolf movie in my opinion. Reminded me of a zombie flick the way they are trapped in the house trying to stay alive. Great concept.

PS:8.5HRS till WOLFMAN 2010!!

"In the mean time, will you have a drink or would you like to play darts?!"

SirJon

OOPS!

i already caught my blatant error.

Werewolf OF London

fmofmpls

Hmm ... scariest werewolf you ask? I like your choice of the MJ Thriller werewolf. That was a vicious looking lycanthrope alright. And very much inspired by Micheal's Landon's Teenage Werewolf by the way.

I would still have to go old-school with the Lon Chaney Jr werewolf. Make that wolf man and not werewolf. And that's why he was so scary in my opinion - he didn't really look like a werewolf, but rather a tortured man with the curse of losing his bodily functions to that of a wolf. Werewolves always look more like rabid wolves from animal kingdom hell, but a wolf man ..  that looks like a dangerous beast with an insane and uncontrollable human mind. That's scary!
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

SirJon

hmmm... now that you mention it the teeth as well as the silver streaks in the fur are quite reminiscent of the I WAS A TEENAGED WEREWOLF, which was also a scary werewolf. For the time i assume that was a extremely horrifying makeup. Im only 25 so obviously not around when it came out, but can any UMA members comment on the BUZZ that werewolf caused in its day?

Unknown Primate

Oliver Reed's "Leon" in CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF was one creepy & vicious looking wolf man!
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

LundyAfterMidnight

The Werewolf of London: His clipped of hair appearance is very demonic.

"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

dadabigalow

I think you underestimate The Howling. I mean Eddie Quist not only was he a werewolf but a Sex-Crazed Serial Killer. Even with the criticisms Of Rob Bottin make-up being shot to dark, and hard to see. I think that adds even more to the overall  creepiness of it. Most the Robs stuff is dark and disturbing.  Example, Victor aka "Sloth" in Se7en.   
But  those facial expressions...............

7hr's to go.
Dadabigalow

"Go now - and heaven help you!" .... Maleva

mike c

If I recall, the Thriller beast is supposed to be a Werecat, or Cat Man, not a wolf... hence the whiskers, longer ears and more stylized hair, slit eyes, etc..

At any rate, I must preface by saying that my favorite werewolf will always be Larry Talbot's other half. No arguing, no debating; all-time favorite.

However, having been the Lon Jr.- Wolf Man's 'friend' since early childhood, he never scared me. I just felt sad for him.

So if the question is about 'scariest', then I have to agree with dadabigelow. If we're talking about the complete package, that is, the entirety of the being as human and wolf, you really can't look farther than Eddie Quist.

Guy's out of his freaking mind, a psycho-sexual murderer already; his larger than life beast form is just a less inhibited continuance of the same being.

Plus, Quist's utter evil, mental madness and lyncanthropic curse are all embodied perfectly in that snarling, slobbering, filthy, sweaty, matted, wiry-haired, bloody beast. One can imagine the mange, the scars, scabs, parasites, lordy the stench of such a creature. And that's how Quist is on the inside 24/7 -- it's just evil.

Most powerful? No. American Werewolf-David Kessler could shred him to ribbons in ten seconds.

But Eddie Quist is scary. Scary-psycho-whoo-hoo! scary.

I don't want to neglect some of the pure beauty-creepiness of The Company of Wolves, no sir.

But Eddie... yikes.

Gillman-Fan

My first glimpse of a movie werewolf will always be the scariest:

I was maybe 7 years old and up waaay past my bedtime . . . when I saw Lon Chaney Jr's hand reach out the crypt and grab that grave robber (in Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man) I thought I'd never fall asleep again!

As an adult I'd have to say that American Werewolf in London has left the deepest impression.

Mike H

I've always loved the savagery of Paul Naschy's werewolves, especially in LA MARCA DEL HOMBRE LOBO. It was his first time playing the character and his athleticism and excitement really made him a feral being.

RIP, Paul... you were the best hombre lobo ever!

Dr.Teufel Geist

I dunno about scariest...but this is one of my faves....

BaronLatos35

I agree with Mike C that Chaney's Wolf Man is my all time favorite, but he never really scared me. Eddie Quist and AWiL scared the bejesus out of me when I first saw them.

Dog Soldiers is a new favorite of mine. That movie had a great tense feeling from the opening scene to the end that had me on the edge of my seat watching it. But the werewolves weren't really scary, the story was instead.

Now, with only seeing posters, pics and trailers, The new Baker/Del Toro Wolf Man is looking vicious. A fast, hulking mass of fur and fangs with bloody claws. If I was a kid, this would scare me. As an adult, I'm excited to see this tomorrow.
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

Fester

I have rarely found The Wolfman actually scary in the jump out of your seat sense.  The scare is more philosophical.
For Wolfman, it will always be Chaney's Lawrence Talbot.  Sorry DelToro fans, I don't think he will be able to surpass or even match Chaney's tormented, cursed Talbot.  There is something pitiable-yet scary about a  regular guy about to lose it all and start ripping up anyone in his way.  When  I was a kid, I found him scary--but sad too.

Michael Landon's Teenage Werewolf, I think was misnamed. He still has a shred of humanity--and most of his clothes.  When I was a teenager, I could relate.  He was going through the adolescence  from hell.  And I thought I had trouble with girls!

Oliver Reed's Curse of the Werewolf still gives me the shudders.  He is violent and out of control, but you can still see his human side peeking through.   Something about those eyes.

I also liked Jack Nicholson's take in Wolf.  Maybe it is the middle age aspect. The older I get, the more his story appeals to me.  He is a man on the decline, and his transformation reverses his condition--but at a price,  Besides there is something quite feral about Nicholson.

To me, most werewolves that go on all fours, are hard to relate to. They are too far gone to have much (if any) humanity left.  Sort of like my third ex-wife, Attila, when she had PMS.  Speaking of implacable beasts, the werewolves in Dog Soldiers were fantastic.  Not only was it a danged good werewolf, movie bit a great action pic as well.

Elisabeth

Henry Hull in WEREWOLF OF LONDON.  He truly LOOKED like "neither man nor wolf...but a satanic creature with the worst qualities of both".
He scared the stew out of me.

Elisabeth  ededed
"....I do hope he won't upset Henry..."

tv horror

I'm going with Eddie Quist from the Howling played by the marvelous Robert Picardo. I met Robert once here in Belfast and he was so far from removed from that part it was unbelievable. The only unfortunate thing was he did not have a photo of Eddie for him to sign, I got him to sign the dvd cover instead. He also told me that it was one of his favourite parts and that he enjoyed playing the character.

A limerick a day keeps the Baron at bay