Forrest J Ackerman

Started by MoeTown, February 09, 2008, 08:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoeTown

Hello, fellows! Great to find you here in this clubhouse of the coolest stuff on Earth! Joe Moe here. I have the distinct privilege of being best pal and caretaker of our 91-year-old Uncle Forry Ackerman. When we heard you had opened up "chop" here, we had to visit. But you aren't here to listen to me gab. Below you'll find a note directly from the Acerkmonster's mouth to your (pointy) ears:

"Hello fangs and fiends! Uncle Forry here. Joe Moe tells me you've assembled an army of monsters here in Cy-brrrrrr-space. Well, I've always been anti-war, but I am pro-mili-scary - so march, Frederic! Carry on. I hope I'll be seeing you all in Horrorwood sometime. I still intend on making it back to the Monster Bash convention in PA so I can see all my Beast-coast pals. I'll be lurking forry-ward to our next meeting!" - FJA

There you have it! Thanks for making this space for all of us likeminded creatures to congregate. It looks terrific. Meanwhile, I could personally use all the support I can get for a new movie I've co-written, produced and desigend: RED VELVET. Please check out the trailer and website and look for it in a theater near you around April! www.redvelvetmovie.com
Thanks!
Joe

Morkai

Forrest J Ackerman is one of my idols!!! Joe, said hello for my side to Uncle Forry!!! I'm from Spain, and couldn't go to the Ackermansion :(
Uncle Forry rules!!!

Monster Bob

Joe

It's great to hear from you and Forry. He is in my thoughts often. Having talked to him many times, visited him several times, out to eat a couple of times...well, Forry Ackerman is one of my childhood heroes, a figure stripped from a printed page that 'came alive' for me. Turned out to be a real guy! Going back to childhood, it was pictures of Forry and his wonderful things that inspired me to "collect" to begin with. In discovering and studying Famous Monster of Filmland magazine, I learned what was really cool in life...movies, masks, props, books, mad scientists, and women in provocative outfits!

It was funny, I was talking to Kevin Burns this morning and we weren't into the conversation 10-15 minutes before Forry's name came up. It's amazing just how much deep influence FJA and Famous Monsters has had on certain individuals...!

Again terrific to hear from you both and tell Forry hello...and come back!

Best,

Bob Morris

typhooforme

Hey, Joe!
Always a delight to hear from you, and to find you here in the Army Camp is truly a delight.  You know how I feel about Forry--my cuz Sara and friend Jill (vpdogjoe & ghoulchick) and I had the best time imaginable when you allowed us to take Forry into our gang at Bash a couple years ago--I was hoarse from singing away with him every mealtime!  Couldn't imagine having a better time of it with jolly Unka 4e.  Thanks for relaying his message to us here--

Your old "cuz Robert"--or as Maestro Forry has referred to me robertaylorobertaylorobertaylor ad inf.
Robert in Ohio

"I don't care what they do, so long as they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

Gary D Macabre

Thanks for posting Moe.  We are delighted to have you and uncle 4E in our midst.

Gary
Gary D. Macabre
Phantom of the UMA lounge

raycastile

Hello Moe!  And a big cheer for our uncle Forry!  It's great to see both of you here.
Raymond Castile

The Drunken Severed Head

Hello Joe and Uncle Forry! Great to see you appear here at UMA!

Joe, one of the highlights for me of Monster Bash 2006 was chatting with you around lunch time and later singing Jolson songs with 4E!

Max

mike c

Hi Joe, so glad to see you posting! Keep us up to date, share some stories! You can tell by my icon that Uncle 4E's one of my heroes so ANY time I can hear from him is a great time! Hope to see you both at the Bash.

Mike C.

Jim Bertges

This is now officially the coolest Monster site on the Web! We have Forry and Joe Moe posting here, that's hard to beat.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

MoeTown

Whoa! What a reception! I'll show Forry all of your kind wishes tomorrow morning.

Forry IS doing really well. John Landis was here before the weekend and commented that Forry seemed more animated and talkative than he has in years. Y'know, Forry's never had any degenerative illness or the like, so as long as we look after him he should keep ticking for a looooong time. His most recent problems have been infection-related as he had a kidney stone blockage that gave him chronic trouble. Once that was removed he really bounced back. Unfortunately, he bounced a little too high and broke a hip. So, here we are. Comfortable in the Acker-mini-mansion. Receiving guests regularly and  keeping Forry busy, healthy and happy. He may have slowed down a bit, but his mind is as sharp as ever. It's nice to know that this warm and friendly place exists where I can visit and let you all know how our favorite Uncle is doing. And thank you for always accepting me as more than just "Igor" to our beloved mentor. I will take extra good care of the ol' man for all of us, my dear monster brothers and sisters.

Tom Smith Monsternut

This is great news too ! Without Unc Forry and FM there would not be our generation of Monster lovers !
Stay strong FJA ! we need you !
Tom Smith " Dr. Deadly"

monsterphile

Quote from: MoeTown on February 10, 2008, 07:43:25 AMIt's nice to know that this warm and friendly place exists where I can visit and let you all know how our favorite Uncle is doing. And thank you for always accepting me as more than just "Igor" to our beloved mentor. I will take extra good care of the ol' man for all of us, my dear monster brothers and sisters.

Joe,

Of course, you can imagine our excitement when you bring us greetings from Forry.  He's like the Elvis of monster fandom, and we all go nuts for him.  We're also glad to have YOU among us and we appreciate all that you do for Forry.  Don't forget, with this group, being thought of as "Igor" isn't quite so bad.   ;-)

Rob

michblk

Thanks Joe, good to see you a part of the group and thanks for the Uncle Forry updates!  Without him, I'm sure we would be a much different group if we existed at all.

BK
"There is something wrong with us, very, very wrong with us"
Bill Murray - Stripes

Toy Ranch

Hi Joe and welcome to the UMA!  Thanks for posting and letting us know about Forry, a man who is never far from our hearts and thoughts...  and an inspiration to us all.  It's great to see his words typed to our group, and glad to hear he's doing well. 

Congratulations on your film, and can't wait to see it! 

packy120353

Hi Joe (and unca 4E)
We met briefly at the 2006 Monster Bash, and Uncle 4E was so kind enough to sign a book for me and explain the story of the "J" in FJA. Like to most of us Forrest J Ackerman has been a legend. But especially an influence to me in his courage to crack puns that would double over King Kong!  Please convey my most sincere thanks and wormy wishes to you both, and thank you Joe for the update.

paul (packy120353)