Air brushing

Started by Bizarro Jeff, December 14, 2009, 10:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bizarro Jeff

I've built models since I was a kid - mostly the old Auroras, some of the vinyl kits (not that I am in ANY way an expert).

My question is this - I'm thinking of buying an airbrush (my painting skills are horrible...) strictly for models...does anyone have any suggestions??

Bizarro Jeff
Some things are better not seen, some things are better lost than found...

Tom Smith Monsternut

I prefer the Iwata brand myself.. More flow control.

tom
Tom Smith " Dr. Deadly"

drthomasholmes

I'd recommend a Badger Renegade. Affordable, but most importantly, it is a GREAT brush.

Mr. Black

Quote from: Tom Smith Monsternut on December 15, 2009, 01:22:07 AM
I prefer the Iwata brand myself.. More flow control.

tom
I've been Airbrushing a Long time & have tried several brushes.....Tom is right on....Iwata is the way to go, get yourself an Eclipse & enjoy

Monster Bob

claudin

My boyfriend has the Renegade from Badger as well and it was very impressive. We have model nights together. lol I'm in the process of painting the Mike Hill Frankenstein kit and the Badger airbrush has been a real pal through it all.  ;D
JoAnna
"Even the moon's afraid of me!"

Mr. Black

Not to get into a debate....Iwata V.S Badger .....BUT...... the main reason I prefer Iwata over Badger, is because the Iwata needles are bulletproof & I find that the badger ones are alot less durable & forgiving; I was mainly using Badger my entire life; until I came across Iwata....to me, it's the difference of a Fine T-bone steak &  Hamburger ....there is no comparison.  8)

Monster Bob

I have the Iwata Power Jet Pro (dual station/twin pumped/metered) air compressor also, and it is a very impressive piece of equipment that will not give out no matter how hard you work it, and is reasonably priced for the quality.

Getter_1

If Jeff is just starting out, don't you think something like a Pashe H single-action would be better?  It's pretty indestructable and cheap.  I've had one for years and still use it (although I prefer an Iwata).

claudin

Besides Iwata's website, any other good resources to research their product?
JoAnna

Mr. Black

Quote from: claudin on December 16, 2009, 09:41:18 PM
Besides Iwata's website, any other good resources to research their product?
Claudin, I'm not sure what other resources can be provided to you, as far as researching their products; all I can suggest....is to try them  ( if possible at a local hobby shop ? ) & other  brands as well; if your so inclined & take it from there....with airbrushes; it's really going to come down to hands on experience......otherwise; honestly....if you listen to everyone's testimonials ( including mine  :P ) .....you'll go crazy; the proof is in the testing.

Tom Smith Monsternut

A Pashe H single-action is a great beginner AB but I always found that it was terrible for detail work. It it is great for large areas though.
Tom Smith " Dr. Deadly"

claudin

Quote from: Mr. Black on December 17, 2009, 04:28:19 AM
Claudin, I'm not sure what other resources can be provided to you, as far as researching their products; all I can suggest....is to try them  ( if possible at a local hobby shop ? ) & other  brands as well; if your so inclined & take it from there....with airbrushes; it's really going to come down to hands on experience......otherwise; honestly....if you listen to everyone's testimonials ( including mine  :P ) .....you'll go crazy; the proof is in the testing.

Very true! But, unfortuantely, the situation is that every story has them in a case and you can't test them. :(
Kitbuilders at Monster Bash is very cool about stuff like that, however, which is nice.
I guess takign a trip to Wonderfest might remedy the situation nicely. That seems like a Model Kit Mecca. lol

Thanks for responding!
JoAnna

Mr. Black

Here's one of my Bike tanks, ( I am a Custom painter, although I've switched the "Biz" back into a Hobby  ;) )......... painted using Iwata brushes Claudin   

claudin

But there's no place around here that will let people play with air brushes in store!  :'(

OR one just takes the plunge and gets one! Problem solved!  :D

JoAnna