What performers have you seen in concert?

Started by Memphremagog, September 06, 2009, 07:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CreepysFan

Quote from: TheHoldingCoat on May 25, 2011, 05:14:10 PM
  David Bowie
I would have loved seeing Bowie during his Ziggy stardust years early seventies, never cared much for his eighties songs though.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

MrZero

I've seen a lot of bands.  I can't remember them all.  I had just posted a list that was really long, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to read it, so I'll just say everything from Morbid Angle to Peter, Paul & Mary.

thelatewinslowleach

Quote from: CreepysFan on May 26, 2011, 06:36:33 AM
I would have loved seeing Bowie during his Ziggy stardust years early seventies, never cared much for his eighties songs though.
I didn't have an opportunity to see Bowie in the '70s, but caught the "Serious Moonlight" tour in '82 and another the "Glass Spider" Tour ion '87. Both were very good although the latter got pretty mixed reviews. I think I liked it more than Bowie himself did.
My music is for Phoenix. Only she can sing it. Anyone else who tries, dies.

Hepcat

Here's a review I did of a Tegan & Sara concert at Massey Hall in 2010:

My first exposure to Tegan & Sara was through the purchase of Little Steven's "Halloween A-Go-Go" CD.

The "Walking with a Ghost" track by Tegan & Sara proved to be one of the highlights from the CD.

So when I learned in November that Tegan & Sara were going to play fabled old Massey Hall on Wednesday, January 20th, I resolved to be there. Massey Hall was built in downtown Toronto to accomodate the Toronto Symphony Orchestra in 1892, comfortably seats 2753 concert goers and has splendid acoustics. As such it is absolutely the ideal venue for a concert, particularly in winter!

It's interesting to note that the Cream played Massey Hall in 1968 when ticket prices would have been not much more than $5.00. Just imagine seeing the Cream at their best in such an intimate venue!

Tegan and Sara are identical twin sisters who were born and raised in Calgary but Tegan now lives in Vancouver and Sara in Montreal, although Sara may winter in Vancouver. (I'd spank her ass for being such a wimp if that's the case.) They drew a full house for their concert that night although they were also scheduled to play in the dreadful Kool Haus venue the next day. I'd estimate that about half of the attendees had journeyed from the Isle of Lesbos to see the pair. The other half looked to have more catholic tastes in that regard.

The opening act was An Horse, an Aussie combo very much like the White Stripes consisting of a fellow on drums and a girl with a guitar handing the lead vocals. They politely thanked the assembled multitude for having shown up early enough to take in their show and mentioned that they'd also be making a guest appearance and playing a few songs at Criminal Records on Queen Street West the following evening. I'd characterize their sound as folk rock or light rock and they were pleasant enough.

Tegan and Sara came out to warm applause. Sara is the slighter one. The two girls alternated handling lead vocals depending upon the song. Each girl also had one of those collapsible Hammond(?) organs set up in front of her, and each switched back and forth from an acoustic guitar to an electric guitar to the organ depending on the song they were playing. They were backed by three fellows, a drummer, a guitarist and a bass player. Both the guitarist and the bass player also had collapsible organs set up in front of them which they played when required. In fact, on the second song all four non-percussionists were playing the organ!

The first five songs they played were evidently new ones. After the fifth, Sara thanked the crowd for being patient enough to listen to their new material - and then attacked her acoustic guitar so vigorously that she threw it out of tune within a bar or two! She stopped, laughed, tuned up and launched again into "Walking with a Ghost" which is probably their biggest crowd pleaser. Sara's voice sounds particularly childlike in this number. Her sister has a somewhat deeper voice.

Tegan and Sara

The two girls carried on a steady banter with the crowd. They chatted about things such as playing coffee houses in front of a few of their friends for just the free coffee and tea (Tegan said she doesn't even drink coffee) while growing up in Calgary, going out on a double date at the age of eight with boys that looked just like they did, how tough it was to be a lesbian in high school but tougher yet at the age of eight, and being on their periods that night. The crowd ate it up. My companion observed that they'd be good as hosts of a variety show.

They came out for a five song encore, by themselves for the first three songs before being joined by the three fellows for the last two. All in all, they played for just over two hours and the crowd left well pleased having gotten their money's worth.

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Sir Masksalot

I was never much into the live music scene so will come off as a total flyweight amongst you seasoned concert goers. The shows I can remember attending are
The Tubes, Blondie, X, Three Dog Night, Blood Sweat & Tears, Boston, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Kenny Loggins, The Fifth Dimension, The Beach Boys,
The Temptations, and a few jazz acts like Manhattan Transfer and Return to Forever. I think that's it.

Mord

I've been going to concerts since the age of 13. My dad was a music fan, and didn't mind taking my brother and me to the early shows. Here's a partial list of bands I've seen:

The Who, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Kinks, Iggy & the Stooges, New York Dolls, The Ramones, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Black Sabbath, Bob Dylan & The Band, Patti Smith Group, Jimi Hendrix, The Specials, Madness, The Go Gos, Killing Joke, Blue Oyster Cult, Mott the Hoople, Slade, Sparks, Elvis Costello, Genesis (with Peter Gabriel, P.I.L., Gang of 4, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Steppenwolf, The Stray Cats, Black Flag, New Order, Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, Frank Zappa & The Mothers, The Faces, Elton John, The Tubes, The Runaways, Suzi Quatro, Peter Gabriel, Graham Parker & the Rumor, Ministry, Sepultura, Helmet, ELP, Mahavishnu Orchestra, David Bowie (Ziggy, Aladdin, Diamond Dogs tours), T-Rex, Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth, L7, The Damned...and so on. I was a busy kid.

geezer butler

Quote from: Mord on March 04, 2020, 06:53:09 PM
I've been going to concerts since the age of 13. My dad was a music fan, and didn't mind taking my brother and me to the early shows. Here's a partial list of bands I've seen:

The Who, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Kinks, Iggy & the Stooges, New York Dolls, The Ramones, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Black Sabbath, Bob Dylan & The Band, Patti Smith Group, Jimi Hendrix, The Specials, Madness, The Go Gos, Killing Joke, Blue Oyster Cult, Mott the Hoople, Slade, Sparks, Elvis Costello, Genesis (with Peter Gabriel, P.I.L., Gang of 4, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Steppenwolf, The Stray Cats, Black Flag, New Order, Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, Frank Zappa & The Mothers, The Faces, Elton John, The Tubes, The Runaways, Suzi Quatro, Peter Gabriel, Graham Parker & the Rumor, Ministry, Sepultura, Helmet, ELP, Mahavishnu Orchestra, David Bowie (Ziggy, Aladdin, Diamond Dogs tours), T-Rex, Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth, L7, The Damned...and so on. I was a busy kid.

This is a great thread! Don't know how I missed it. Awesome list Mord. Great variety. I remember you posting about Hendrix. I still think that's insane. So cool.

geezer butler

Mostly rock and metal bands for me. I did see Public Enemy back in the day though.

Kiss, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ac/DC, Queen, Rush, Dio, Pat Travers, Ace Frehley, Faith no More, Bad Brains, Quicksand, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, King Diamond, Mercyful fate, Death Angel, Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Motorhead, Testament, Sepultura, Ozzy, Prong, Pantera, Rob Zombie, Slipknot, Corrosion of Conformity, Clutch, Shadows Fall, Suffocation, It Dies Today, Poison the Well, Glassjaw, Deftones, Down, Dillinger Escape Plan, Eighteen Visions, As I lay Dying, In Flames, Black Dahlia Murder, GWAR, Machine Head, Morbid Angel, Will Haven . . .I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. \m/

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mord on March 04, 2020, 06:53:09 PM

Wow, Mord!
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

marsattacks666

I cannot even begin to think of all the bands or solo artists I have seen. I still have ticket stubs. Let's see......

U. K. Subs, Electric Frankenstein, the Business, Vibrators( twice) , the Germs, FEAR, Adolescents( twice), The Adicts, Loverboy, STP, Alice in Chains( after Layne), Cyprus Hill, David Lee Roth, Testament, AnthraX(1988), Riot( so underrated), the New York Dolls(2009), Ace Frehley( numerous times), Peter Criss, Cold Gin, Strutter, Powerman 5000, KISS( numerous times) Rob Zombie( numerous times), Motley Crue( 1985, 1997), Judas Priest( 1984, 2004), Queensryche(1985/2004), 45 Grave, Fishbone, Beastie Boys, SLAYER(1984/2017),The CRAMPS(2004/2006), Hank III, X, Megadeth, Sisters of Mercy, Marilyn Manson, Dio, Nashville Pu***, Doyle, The MISFITS, Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Reverend Horton Heat, RUSH, Supersuckers, Slipknot, SeX PistolS(2006), Missing Persons, Dokken(1985), Ratt(1985), Cinderella(1987), Scorpions(1984), TOOL, Ted Nugent, NIN, A Perfect Circle, Garbage( ugh!!!) U2( f****** suck), the Murder Junkies w/Merle Allin, Metallica, Soulfly, Agent Orange, T.S.O.L.,The Mentors, Static X, Deadbolt, Dimmu Borgir , Lamb of God, Aerosmith( 1986/2003), English Beat....plus much more....
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mike...In 3-D!

A ton, but the three coolest that come to mind were the Ron Asheton tribute show that The Stooges did in Ann Arbor, the Misfits reuniting at Riot Fest in Chicago and seeing a Motorhead, Dio and Iron Maiden all in one night.
"Naughty, naughty! Don't touch, Butch knows best."

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mike...In 3-D! on February 19, 2021, 09:58:24 PM
A ton, but the three coolest that come to mind were the Ron Asheton tribute show that The Stooges did in Ann Arbor, the Misfits reuniting at Riot Fest in Chicago and seeing a Motorhead, Dio and Iron Maiden all in one night.

I wish I would have seen the Misfits reunion. R.I.P., Ron and Scott

Mike...In 3-D!

Quote from: marsattacks666 on February 19, 2021, 10:33:22 PM
I wish I would have seen the Misfits reunion. R.I.P., Ron and Scott

Before Covid hit I was hoping they'd do a few more shows and eventually hit Detroit since they have a history here.
"Naughty, naughty! Don't touch, Butch knows best."

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mike...In 3-D! on February 20, 2021, 01:07:42 AM
Before Covid hit I was hoping they'd do a few more shows and eventually hit Detroit since they have a history here.

Maybe Glenn and Jerry ( Doyle) will do another show. Hopefully

Buzzybean

Bee Gees (twice)
Michael Jackson (twice)
The Jacksons
America
Earth Wind & Fire
Hall & Oates
Toto
Janet Jackson (4 times)
Howard Jones
Pointer Sisters
Kiss