What performers have you seen in concert?

Started by Memphremagog, September 06, 2009, 07:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Swan

I have seen a number of shows but by far the best that I've seen put on was by MEATLOAF.H e puts on one heck of a show.
"It's the soul of the business"

fmofmpls

I would be a liar if i didn't say I was disappointed with the recent KISS concert. Paul Stanley has lost it. His voice is fried. Paul has always been the strongest member of KISS, but this time around I felt he was the weakest. His shtick was tired and repetitive. How many times can you say the word "Minneapolis" in a concert? And suprisingly enough, his voice was strained and weak. This was never the case in previous years. You could always depend on Paul to deliver the goods in rock star like fashion. But this time around, he seemed like a parody of himself. And a bad one at that. Most surprisingly was just how strong Gene Simmons was. He truly carried the whole performance. His voice was in top form and he still had all his trademark moves down pat. Eric Singer was adequate as was Tommy Thayer. Tommy is no Ace though.

This was my last KISS concert ever. I made that decision half way through the show. A fan needs to know when it's time to retire just as much as the band does.    
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

Illoman

Quote from: fmofmpls on November 13, 2009, 12:40:38 AM

This was my last KISS concert ever. I made that decision half way through the show. A fan needs to know when it's time to retire just as much as the band does.    

You know, I feel the same way about Jethro Tull, one of my all time favorite bands, who I've seen five times in concert. Ian Anderson's voice is shot, he doesn't do his patented flute solos any more, and I really don't like any of their material post 1980. I saw them in 2001 and decided that was the last time. Hearing Ian's voice in this shape is just too disturbing, knowing what it once was.

Mike

fmofmpls

I recently saw the band UFO in concert and was totally blown away on just how well they sounded. They rocked as if it was still 1978! Phil Mogg was on! Vinnie Morre almost made you forget about Micheal Schenker. Highly recommended! Same age and same era, and still they made KISS look like punks.

UFO-Rock Bottom (Studio Version)
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

Illoman

Well, the only "older" band I still enjoy seeing live is King Crimson. They continue to reinvent themselves, and it's always a treat to hear Adrian Belew and Robert Fripp assault your senses with their unique brand of guitar abuse.

Mike

I am the Female Dracula

Not many...

Girls Aloud
P!nk
Chuck Berry
Greenday
ZZ Top

Greenday were the best perform but I love ZZ Top
"Supernatural? Perhaps. Baloney? Perhaps not. There are many things under the sun...."

coughcool

KISS (7x)
Ac/Dc (2x) Once with Bon Scott
Iron Maiden (2x)
Judas Priest (2x)
The Cramps (2x)
Slayer (2x)
Suicidal Tendencies (2x)
Alice Cooper (2x)
Anthrax (2x)
Megadeth (2x)
Billy Squire (2x)
Aerosmith (2x)
D.R.I.
Sacred Reich
New Model Army
Social Distortion
Tiger Army
Mastodon
Killswitch Engage
The Misfits w/o Danzig :(
Cannibal Corpse
Jane's Addiction
Henry Rollins
Metallica
Ozzy Osbourne
Mötley Crüe
Acid Reign
M.O.D.
Guns N' Roses
The Who
Helloween
David Lee Roth
Re-Animator
Rose Tattoo
Queen
ZZ Top
Fast Way
Coney Hatch
Great White
Babys
Penn & Teller
Frankie Valli
Bob Hope USO Show 1990
"Soylent Green is People"

"Some folks like water, Some folks like wine, But I like a taste, Of straight strychnine."

"This Is Who We are"

Herr Vogel

Styx (2)
Journey
Marshall Tucker
Willie Nelson (2)
Chicago
REO Speedwagon
Edie Brickel & the New Bohemians
Jimmy Buffet
Dan Fogelberg
Chaka Kahn

ChattyLMS

The Carpenters twice, John Denver, the people that sang Afternoon Delight (they were the warm-up band for John Denver), Beach Boys, Bugs Bunny Symphony (I can't remember the name of it).  They were all really good, especially the Bugs Bunny Symphony.

The Bugs Bunny thing showed the Bugs Bunny classical music as written for the cartoons, then how the real music sounded.  They also showed the same cartoon.  Of course the Rabbit of Seville was in there.  Excellent!  It was a great way of introducing classical music to kids.  I think nowadays kids don't easily get to see Bugs Bunny.  They probably don't even know who he is.   :'(   Zombie Censored   Zombie Mad  Zombie No Smile  >:(
Laura ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Illoman

Quote from: ChattyLMS on January 04, 2010, 06:20:44 PM
The Carpenters twice, John Denver, the people that sang Afternoon Delight (they were the warm-up band for John Denver), Beach Boys, Bugs Bunny Symphony (I can't remember the name of it).  They were all really good, especially the Bugs Bunny Symphony.

The Bugs Bunny thing showed the Bugs Bunny classical music as written for the cartoons, then how the real music sounded.  They also showed the same cartoon.  Of course the Rabbit of Seville was in there.  Excellent!  It was a great way of introducing classical music to kids.  I think nowadays kids don't easily get to see Bugs Bunny.  They probably don't even know who he is.   :'(   Zombie Censored   Zombie Mad  Zombie No Smile  >:(

The band you were referring to was Starland Vocal Band. (I have a head for useless knowledge.)

I would have *loved* to have seen that Bugs Bunny show!! Carl Stalling did some stellar arrangements for those cartoons.

Mike

charp13

Rancid- 20+ times   Social Distortion-10+ times    Tiger Army, Lars Fredeickson and the Bastards, Bad Religion, The Transplants, Nekromantix, Rev. Horton Heat, Black Flag, Less than Jake, NUFAN, Rollins Band, MXPX, Suicide Machines, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, GreenDay, Dropkick Murphys, Dashboard, NIN, Lagwagon, Ataris, US Bombs

Scatter

Quote from: charp13 on January 04, 2010, 09:02:16 PM
Rancid- 20+ times   Social Distortion-10+ times    Tiger Army, Lars Fredeickson and the Bastards, Bad Religion, The Transplants, Nekromantix, Rev. Horton Heat, Black Flag, Less than Jake, NUFAN, Rollins Band, MXPX, Suicide Machines, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, GreenDay, Dropkick Murphys, Dashboard, NIN, Lagwagon, Ataris, US Bombs

What, no Lawrence Welk??
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

ChattyLMS

Hi Iloman!
That's right, the Starland Vocal Band.  I forgot!  That Bugs Bunny Concert was really good.  They had a full symphony orchestra.  Carl Stalling was definitely great.  He really must've known classical music to be able to use them in the cartoons.  He must have been a genious.
Laura ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

BARON TIMOTHEUS BGG

THE BEATLES,
THE BEE-GEES,
THE BAND,
THE LOVIN' SPOONFUL,
HERMAN'S HERMITS,
HARRY CHAPIN,
RICHIE HAVENS,
PETER PAUL AND MARY,
PHIL OCHS,
TOM LEHRER,
AMY GRANT,
THE CYRKLE,
JOHN MICHAEL TALBOT,

and, a few others, momentarily, lost, to memory...
EXANIMO EVERNOW,
TIMMY & BETH, B.G.G.

Illoman

Quote from: BARON TIMOTHEUS BGG on January 10, 2010, 09:29:26 AM

HARRY CHAPIN,

JOHN MICHAEL TALBOT,

and, a few others, momentarily, lost, to memory...
EXANIMO EVERNOW,
TIMMY & BETH, B.G.G.

Baron, when and where did you see Harry Chapin? I saw him at memorial Hall in downtown Dayton in 1979 I believe. What a great concert! I had only known him for Cats in the Cradle, and my then-girlfriend wanted to see him. He told lots of bawdy tales and his band was great!!

I saw John Michael Talbot in 1986. His concert was so peaceful I literally thought I could hear my heart beating!! I was concerned it's sound would disrupt the show!! Certainly a unique experience for a concert!

Mike