Monster Comics

Started by JMichaelRoddy, July 11, 2009, 12:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMichaelRoddy

Anyone here a fan of the Horror Comics? Not specifically EC, but the House of Secrets/The Witching Hour? I also always loved a good adaptation of the classics.
"Soon the Moon will rise and I'll turn into an animal..."
"You and twenty million other guys"

hammerfan

i always liked the Phantom Stranger from DC
Have the Lambs stopped screaming Clarice?....Dr. Lector

The Creeper

I always liked House of Secrets, House of Mystery, Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf by Night. 
Long live the UMA!

CreepysFan

Horror comics were the start and the center of my monster collecting.  They are my life's obsession.  My horror comics and Warren magazines would be the first things grabbed in case of emergency.  The Warren magazines were always my favorites.  House of Secrets was my favorite DC comic.  Also liked from DC House of Mystery, Witching Hour, The Demon, Ghosts, Secrets of Haunted House, Secrets of Sinister House, Weird Mystery, and Unexpected.   From Marvel I read  Beware, Tomb of Darkness, Crypt of Shadows, Monsters on the Prowl, Where Creatures Roam, Man-Thing, and Where Monsters Dwell.   Gold Key's Boris Karloff and Harvey's Wendy.   So I would have to say an obsessive YES...I am a fan of Horror comics.   ;D
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Creature Features

Marvel Horror Comics:

Tomb Of Dracula
Werewolf By Night
Man-Thing
Ghost Rider

DC Horror Comics:

Swamp Thing (Wein & Wrightson)
House Of Mystery
The Witching Hour

Miscellaneous Horror Comics:

Vampirella (Warren)
Twisted Tales (Pacific Comics)
"It's Alive...oh, It's Alive! It's Alive, It's Alive...IT'S ALIVE!!!"

BaronLatos35

Big fan of comics in general, as far as Horror comics, they were a staple of my youth.

Horror comics past and present in my collection:

- House of Mystery (especially the I...Vampire series)
- The Witching Hour

- Tomb of Dracula
- Ghost Rider

- Vampirella
- Bite Club
- Blade
- Anita Blake
- Any other misc. Horror that I find or is new.
"For one who has lived but a single lifetime, you are a wise man ...Van Helsing."
"I shall awaken memories of love and crime and death..."

michblk

I have some of the Dell Comics that did the Unimonsters and the later released Dark Horse.

BK
"There is something wrong with us, very, very wrong with us"
Bill Murray - Stripes

neonnoodle

I love DC's The Witching Hour and Ghosts, especially!  Fun titles in the 70's.
Beautiful moving, shifting colors!

See TRANSLUCE: Rainbow Meditation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz5aqIhYI_Q

Bogey

I always  enjoyed the Weird War Tales :

Wicked Lester

I really like em but not as much as I did even 10 years ago.
Currently I have about 30 reprint issues of EC horror.
DC Showcase HOM 2 and 3.
A dozen issues of Weird,Tales of the Tomb.
Dick Briefer Frankenstein reprint.
I wish I could afford a ton more of the reprint stuff since the originals are HTF and sometimes $.
The fact that they are B/W does not detract from them at all IMO.
So much cool stuff so little $.
Stupid mortgage.  >:( DOH!

Wicked Lester

LundyAfterMidnight

All I have now is a few Vampirella things, but had a handful of Warren & Marvel horror comic magazines. I also enjoyed other Marvel (Where Monsters Dwell), DC (House of Mystery) & a slew of Gold Key comics (Boris Karloff, Ripley's True Ghost Stories, UFO...if I recall the titles correctly).

I don't collect comic books per se, unless you count MAD & comic strip books, but I have great memories, & I still love to read them.
"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

cyberschizoid

I used to buy the DC horror comics when I was a kid but I think my favourites were the Charlton horror comics of the 70's!
Monster movie fans check out my blog at http://cyberschizoid.blogspot.com/

Type3Toys

As a kid, Werewolf By Night, Tomb Of Dracula and Monster Of Frankenstein were "must read" books. I loved Mike Ploog and Gene Colan as the artists of these books. I recently found an adaptation of the original King Kong released in the 90's and the entire adaptation set of the Coppala version of Bram Stokers Dracula in comic book form in a collectable store. For you folks who mentioned WWBN and Ghost Rider, here is a pic of some customs I did of WWBN, GR and Morbius.

Wich2

Yep, Cyber - THAT's the stuff! Charton horror comics.

Yes, rushed, printed badly, and spottily distributed; but with some real gems there by folks like Tom Sutton, Pat Boyette, Steve Ditko, Wayne Howard, Mike Zeck, Joe Staton, and Nick Cuti.

With a Grit not found in DC and Marvel's stuff of the time.