Monster Comics

Started by JMichaelRoddy, July 11, 2009, 12:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wich2

Bronze Age DC has some GREAT covers - alas, the often bland-ish stories inside almost never did them justice.

Charlton stuff of the era (at its best) has more of a rough, real-horror edge.

John Pertwee

I just picked up a Tomb of Dracula #1 signed by Neal Adams for $45.

marsattacks666

Quote from: John Pertwee on November 26, 2016, 01:30:00 PM

Fantastic.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Scatter

Quote from: John Pertwee on November 26, 2016, 01:30:00 PM

WOW!
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

horrorhunter

In the late '50s through the '60s Dinosaurs were considered monsters by millions of Monsterkids/Dinokids. So, here we go...

Scans of a few of my Turok comics:

#1 (Four Color #596) (1954)

The next three are favorites that I had copies of as a kid.

#38 (1964)

#58 (1967)

Giant #1 (1966) (one shot)

#115 (1978) One of the two 48 page issues when Western raised cover price briefly to 50 cents.

French version #4 (1973)

I had been buying Turoks off eBay for a few months and recently I picked up a near-complete run. I'm keeping the best duplicates and eventually I'll get the 8 issues I need to complete the run. I plan to upgrade some of the lower grade copies but I'll patiently wait for good deals on those. Really stoked to have the run nearly complete.  :)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Ludi

I was super into Indians and Dinosaurs at different points of my childhood, but I didn't know about this unbeatable combination of Indians and Dinosaurs together!  :laugh:

horrorhunter

Quote from: Ludi on December 30, 2016, 12:33:05 AM
I was super into Indians and Dinosaurs at different points of my childhood, but I didn't know about this unbeatable combination of Indians and Dinosaurs together!  :laugh:
Turok ran from 1954-1982 and ran 130 issues in addition to the Giant #1 one shot. I was crazy about dinosaurs as a kid and began buying Turok in 1963 when I was 4 years old. My parents bought me several issues through the '60s and even though I don't still have those original copies (they were read to death) I still have the love for the comic similar to my affection for toy dinosaurs by Marx and MPC. I've collected comics for 40 years but only recently began the daunting task of putting together a complete Turok collection. I'm glad I finally got around to it.  :)

Here's a link to some info on Turok: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turok
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

geezer butler

Here are some cool, newer titles out:

2016-12-29_04-44-47 by geezer2014, on Flickr

creaturefan95

Since I can neither edit nor delete the above post of mine, here it is again with the images resized to my liking:

Quote from: creaturefan95 on December 31, 2016, 05:57:00 PM
Finally got some more pre-code horror!

Suspense #12:

The Thing #2:

Witches Tales #11:

Adventures Into Weird Worlds #9:

Strange Stories from Another World #4:

Baffling Mysteries #15:

Journey into Mystery #5:

horrorhunter

Some of my Silver Surfer comics with Horror/Monster themes and covers:

#3 (Mephisto)

#7 (heir of Frankenstein)

#9 (Van Straaten- The Ghost)

#12 (Witches, The Abomination)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Quote from: Ludi on December 30, 2016, 12:33:05 AM
I was super into Indians and Dinosaurs at different points of my childhood, but I didn't know about this unbeatable combination of Indians and Dinosaurs together!

I posted some Turoks earlier in this thread:

http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=5212.msg438900;topicseen#msg438900

:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

creaturefan95

HH, How much PCH do you have in your collection?