Monster Comics

Started by JMichaelRoddy, July 11, 2009, 12:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

creaturefan95

Quote from: Hepcat on September 08, 2015, 04:27:15 PM
Those comics all consist of reprints from pre-hero Marvel, do they not?

???

Yep, Fear #1 contains 50 pages of reprinted pre-hero Marvel content and Where Monsters Dwell #35 only has 18 pages of reprinted material from that period of Marvel history.

horrorhunter

Marvel was reprinting a LOT of their pre-hero monster stories back in the early-mid '70s. I remember buying all of those I could get my hands on dirt cheap in used book stores, flea markets, and quarter boxes at conventions back when I first started collecting in the '70s. In later years I upgraded most of them and I'm glad I did it when they were affordable. They were treated like trash back then, but now they're like Bronze Age gold.

In addition to pre-hero reprints in the backs of several books like the Giant-Size titles, there were many titles which contained all (or almost all) reprints. Some of them I remember are:

Where Monsters Dwell
Where Creatures Roam
Beware
Dead Of Night
Fear (1st 10 issues)
Weird Wonder Tales
Chamber Of Chills
Crypt Of Shadows
Fantasy Masterpieces ('60s)
Giant-Size Chillers ('74-'75)
Tomb Of Darkness
Uncanny Tales
Vault Of Evil
Worlds Unknown
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Wicked Lester

Quote from: horrorhunter on September 08, 2015, 10:10:55 PM
Marvel was reprinting a LOT of their pre-hero monster stories back in the early-mid '70s. I remember buying all of those I could get my hands on dirt cheap in used book stores, flea markets, and quarter boxes at conventions back when I first started collecting in the '70s. In later years I upgraded most of them and I'm glad I did it when they were affordable. They were treated like trash back then, but now they're like Bronze Age gold.

In addition to pre-hero reprints in the backs of several books like the Giant-Size titles, there were many titles which contained all (or almost all) reprints. Some of them I remember are:

Where Monsters Dwell
Where Creatures Roam
Beware
Dead Of Night
Fear (1st 10 issues)
Weird Wonder Tales
Chamber Of Chills
Crypt Of Shadows
Fantasy Masterpieces ('60s)
Giant-Size Chillers ('74-'75)
Tomb Of Darkness
Uncanny Tales
Vault Of Evil
Worlds Unknown

I still have and bought and sold tons of these over the last couple years. Always fun reading and pretty addictive to read many issues in a row. 8)

Wich2

>I always loved Jack Kirby's art and this was one of my most favorite of his monsters.<

This would be mine (though like many of the best monsters, he was really anything but!):

>Marvel was reprinting a LOT of their pre-hero monster stories back in the early-mid '70s.<

Just doin' what Marvel did - trying to glut the market, and so eat some of someone else's pie! (In this case, Charlton's.)

horrorhunter

Quote from: Wich2 on September 11, 2015, 01:47:31 PM
Just doin' what Marvel did - trying to glut the market, and so eat some of someone else's pie! (In this case, Charlton's.)
They were all trying to do that. It was competitive marketing. Marvel was just better at it because they were bigger.

The mid '60s through the mid '70s was a great time for Monsterboomer comics and monster mags. Marvel, DC, Warren, Charlton, Eerie Pubs, Western, Dell, Sproul, and even Archie was knockin' 'em out for us Monsterkids and we loved them and still do. Thank goodness for the plethora of printed product produced during that time for us monster lovers. The active marketplace left plenty to collect and enjoy.  :)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Here's Aqualad versus the Bugala, a great story arc from Aquaman 44-47 rendered by Jim Aparo:

Love the artwork!

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on September 24, 2015, 09:05:52 PM
Here's Aqualad versus the Bugala, a great story arc from Aquaman 44-47 rendered by Jim Aparo:
Aparo's style was heavily influenced by Neal Adams... which is a good thing.  :)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Wich2

>Aparo's style was heavily influenced by Neal Adams... which is a good thing.<

As is the fact that he was also his own, very talented, artist!

horrorhunter

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

The Ghoulunatic Fringe is a great blog for fans of EC and early fanzines such as Squa Tront.

http://theghoulunaticfringe.blogspot.com/
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

creaturefan95

creaturefan95

Quote from: creaturefan95 on January 11, 2015, 10:17:14 PM
Just picked up Supernatural Thrillers #5 at my local flea market. The man selling comics there originally had $24 on this comic, but he always gives me great deals so I got the first appearance of The Living Mummy (N'Kantu) for 10 bucks!

I also have the next issue in the series (not N'Kantu's next appearance):

Does anyone think this Headless Horseman cover is worth upgrading to a nicer copy?

Here is a new scan of my reader copy of Supernatural Thrillers #6:

Here is a scan of a nicer copy of the same issue that was part of a lot in an auction on ebay that I won because nobody besides me bid:

Here is my scan of Supernatural Thrillers #1 that was part of the same lot:

Here is a scan of a second copy of the first issue of Supernatural Thrillers that the seller threw in because they had an extra:

Here are scans of Supernatural Thrillers #2 and Supernatural Thrillers #4 which were the other two comics in the lot:

Scatter

We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."