Image Depository * Contribute a pic to our Gallery

Started by fmofmpls, January 07, 2008, 11:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Scott

Hey Richard!

Can you give me the dimensions of one of the paint-by boxes (just the L and W). Even though the pics are fine the way they are, I wanted to turn them into a rectangle, just for the heck of it.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: Mike Scott on January 16, 2008, 01:44:20 PM
Even though the pics are fine the way they are, I wanted to turn them into a rectangle, just for the heck of it.

I think they look great as 3-D objects!
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

Mike Scott

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on January 16, 2008, 04:50:18 PM
I think they look great as 3-D objects!
Yeh, but everybody knows what a box looks like. I always prefer the scanner view of flat things (like a box front).
CREATURE FAN

The Phantom Creep

Hmmmmm... I think maybe we ought to leave the images as photos of the items and not just flat images of the artwork. I think this is what Shannon was saying (although I could be wrong). What does everyone else think?
"Ladies and gentlemen, please do not panic. But  SCREAM!! Scream for your lives!!"

Mike Scott

Quote from: ZOMBOPHOTO on January 16, 2008, 06:55:59 PM
I think maybe we ought to leave the images as photos of the items and not just flat images of the artwork.
Why would you want to look at a distorted view of the art if you didn't have to? If you had some trading cards, or something, would you scan them, or stand them up at an angle and photograph them?
CREATURE FAN

Richard

Quote from: Mike Scott on January 16, 2008, 01:44:20 PM
Hey Richard!

Can you give me the dimensions of one of the paint-by boxes (just the L and W). Even though the pics are fine the way they are, I wanted to turn them into a rectangle, just for the heck of it.

Hi Mike,
I just got home from work...
Here are the exact measurements...

Width:  14.25 inches
Length:  20 inches

More pictures to come as I can take them.
I'm disgusted with my camera. It's a Canon EOS digital Rebel XT and I think it should take much better pictures than it does (I had a Rebel film camera before and was very, very happy with that). That's why I'm waiting for sunlight (daytime) to try some pictures. I want to see if the color balance and clarity are any better. And I hate all the camera flash I'm getting!
So, more to come.
Best,
Richard

Mike Scott

Quote from: Richard on January 16, 2008, 08:50:43 PM
Here are the exact measurements...
Thanks, that helps a lot! Got those binder pics and the two paint-by pics up in the gallery. We have some nice pics of the box contents to the Frank and Drac paint-bys to go with those box lids.

CREATURE FAN

The Phantom Creep

Why would you want to look at a distorted view of the art if you didn't have to? If you had some trading cards, or something, would you scan them, or stand them up at an angle and photograph them?

- Because I want to see the complete object, and not just the artwork. The toy or puzzle or whatever is a three dimensional object and often the beauty of the item is not just the art on the front but the entire package. Of course if we're talking trading cards you would just scan them. Any flat object such as trading cards, post cards, magazines, movie stills etc. would obviously be better scanned, that's just a ridiculous question.

I would have no problem with the gallery containing images of the item photographed and then also containing images of the artwork cleaned up and presented separately. The artwork on these items is definitely part of their appeal, but I just think only presenting them as flat art removes them too much from what they are (and why we like them) to begin with. 

Also, these galleries are used as a reference guide for a lot of people and the item should be represented accurately.

Once again, I ask for others opinions on this subject.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please do not panic. But  SCREAM!! Scream for your lives!!"

Tom Smith Monsternut

Sure a good flat scan would be perfect but a lot of people don't have scanners so they can only take digital pics. My scanner is not working right  so I can only provide D pics myself. Does it bother me if the posted images are not perfect straight on scanned pics ? No not at all. I think asking  for only the best scanned images might be cutting off your own foot "so to speak" because people will not take the time to take or scan the pics  and keep posting  images if they are not used. I say use them and if you get a better image down the road just replace it with the better image.
I would rather see more views of the item in maybe a sub gallery with a complete view of the object myself "Top , bottom,opened box ,playing pieces ,so on and so forth. I really want to see what is inside the box too :)
Tom Smith " Dr. Deadly"

Mike Scott

Quote from: ZOMBOPHOTO on January 17, 2008, 10:15:26 AM
The artwork on these items is definitely part of their appeal
I think it's all of the appeal. without the artwork, it's just a cardboard box.
CREATURE FAN

Mike Scott

Quote from: Tom Smith Monsternut on January 17, 2008, 11:02:32 AM
Sure a good flat scan would be perfect but a lot of people don't have scanners so they can only take digital pics.
No problem! I can fix them.

I say use them and if you get a better image down the road just replace it with the better image.
That's what we're doing. We already have pics of everything, so we're only looking for better pics.

I would rather see more views of the item in maybe a sub gallery with a complete view of the object myself "Top , bottom,opened box ,playing pieces ,so on and so forth.
That would be nice, but since we have to pay to have pics here, we may have to hold it down to just the most interesting views. A box side that just repeats the same graphics from the box front isn't that much more interesting.
CREATURE FAN

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: Mike Scott on January 17, 2008, 07:47:53 PM
I think it's all of the appeal. without the artwork, it's just a cardboard box.

My thoughts are almost exactly in line with Zombophoto's.  The entire thing as an object is the total appeal.  I even like other object object visible for size referencing sometimes.  A flattened image might as well be a poster, and is just that much easier to duplicate.  The object itself in a museum like display, such as in all our cases is much more interesting and 'real' to me.
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

Mike Scott

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on January 18, 2008, 10:29:57 PM
I even like other object object visible for size referencing sometimes.
Ug! No! Never! I hate other objects in the picture! I'll paint 'em right out!

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on January 18, 2008, 10:29:57 PM
The object itself in a museum like display, such as in all our cases is much more interesting and 'real' to me.
That's because it is real. When you look at a real object your brain compensates and the object doesn't look distorted. A distorted photo is not more realistic. The real box does not have one side that is twice as tall as the other.
CREATURE FAN

Richard

Mike, I scanned the large Elwar buttons (3.5") on my scanner instead of using a camera. I know you have all of them posted in the gallery but this is just in case you need any image upgrades.
Best,
Richard

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN