Started by Josh, April 09, 2009, 12:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh

HOLE...LEE...CRAP!!  :o

Originally posted at the CHFB here:

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/23031

AN OPEN MESSAGE TO ALL FM FANS FROM RAY FERRY, PHILIP KIM AND CONNIE BEAN:

April 08, 2009 --
Many of you are aware that, for the past 6 months, we have been involved in legal proceedings related to ownership rights concerning the "Famous Monsters of Filmland" trademark. These proceedings stemmed from unresolved matters arising from a sale of the property rights to Mr. Kim in October 2007. After a personal meeting among us, we have fully resolved our differences and reached an amicable settlement. Ray and Connie acknowledge Phil Kim as the new owner of the trademark. His web site at www.famousmonstersoffilmland.com is to be considered the "official" internet site for the mark. Connie will retain her www.filmlandclassics.com web store and will continue as the reseller of back issue of Famous Monsters magazine published by Ray until the current inventory is depleted. Ray will continue his work as editor and publisher of his two new magazines FREAKY and SHOCK THEATER CLASSICS.

CONCERNING FM #250:
Pursuant to our agreement, FM #250 will be edited/published by Ray Ferry as originally planned. FM #250 will be the FINAL ISSUE in the SECOND SERIES of FM magazine, which began with issue #200 (May 1993). Filmland Classics customers who have current subscriptions that include FM #250 will receive their copies. Pre-orders for FM #250 are currently being accepted. The issue will ship at the end of May, 2009. Note that there will be only a limited number of copies available for general purchase once the issue is published! There will be no reprints of any more issues and once current inventory is depleted, that's it. Visit www.filmlandclassics.com (or www.famousmonstersoffilmland.com) for pre-ordering information.

THE WAR OF THE WORDS:
We realize that FM is an emotional topic for many fans. There was and still continues to be a lot of anger and misunderstanding among some factions of fandom and the subject has polarized what should be a friendly and enjoyable hobby for all. We three have resolved our differences and we ask that you fans respect our decision and end the war of the words. There is no good that can come from fans continuing to debate, ridicule, threaten or otherwise keep a war going that no longer exists.

FINALLY:
We each thank all who have shown their support. We ask that all fans bury the proverbial hatchet and let us rebuild to once again make the world of FM an enjoyable place to be. Certainly there will be those few (and even people close to Phil, Ray and Connie) who will resist change or settlement and will continue to fan the flames. Ignore them. They don't speak for us and they don't speak for fandom. If Ray, Phil or Connie has something to say, they will say it. If you find our reconciliation to be surprising or even shocking, keep in mind there will be probably be even surprises in store in the coming months...To paraphrase John F. Kennedy: "There are no permanent enemies. Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal."

So we say again (in 3-part harmony) "To a new world of gods and monsters!"

Ray Ferry
Phil Kim
Connie Bean

www.famousmonstersoffilmland.com
www.filmlandclassics.com
www.freakymag.com

monsterphile

A posthumous apology to Forry would have been nice.  Unless I missed it, I didn't see any mention of his name.

Rob

ChrisW

Quote from: monsterphile on April 09, 2009, 12:46:11 AM
A posthumous apology to Forry would have been nice.  Unless I missed it, I didn't see any mention of his name.

Rob

Kind of what i was thinking, but i didn't want to spoil the love-fest. Thanks for posting your comment.

raycastile

Phil Kim seems like a savvy businessman.  I suspect he will make decisions in the coming years that will make excellent business sense, but might enrage fans (myself included).  This news is surprising, but now I kind of see where it is going.  The end result will probably be very sensible, but not very emotionally satisfying.

But hey, at least for the moment, Ray Ferry is out of the FM biz.  That's good news.

Raymond Castile

Cinemacabre

I'll be more than happy to sing Ray and Connie's praises just as soon as they pay Forry's estate the court ordered money they owe him - all the while they were still making money publishing FM.

I hope you all don't mind if I don't hold my breath. Blue isn't my color.
D'Entre les Morts,

Cinemacabre

CreepysFan

Quote from: monsterphile link=topic=3911.msg60731#msg 60731 date=1239237971
A posthumous apology to Forry would have been nice. 
I totally agree, but at least this is a start.  Never even saw this one coming.  Hope this decision really does end all the bad blood among monster fans.  I still will keep solely to the original Warren FM's personally myself. 
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Mike Scott

"Ray, Connie and Kim kiss . . ."

I think I threw-up a little in my mouth!

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mike Scott

"For your further information, Famous Monsters of Filmland Issue 250 will have Ray's personal tribute to Forry . . ."

How could this possibly be described as anything but disingenuous!?
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Josh

Quote from: Mike Scott on April 09, 2009, 03:37:31 AM

:D

But seriously, this may patch things up between Kim and the gruesome twosome, but Ray F-I-N-A-L-L-Y giving up does not erase the years of his nonsense.  This was a business thing with Kim and he seemed to handle it like a business interest, but for everyone that read all the crap that Ray posted on his site(s) over the last decade or so, this was very personal for him, and he proved himself to be a piece of sh!t over and over again.  

Also, does anyone else find it a bit odd that this "understanding" was reached only a few months after Forry's passing.  Honestly, Ferry knew he was licked years ago but just could not let Forry see him lose (my opinion)

michblk

Quote from: Mike Scott on April 09, 2009, 03:37:31 AM

I second that!

"There is something wrong with us, very, very wrong with us"
Bill Murray - Stripes

hammett1

I agree.  To me the whole "issues statement" does nothing to correct the original wrongs perpetrated by Ferry.  Mr Kim, as noted, made a very intelligent business decision. But I believe it should have included DESTRUCTION OF ALL REMAINING FERRY PRODUCE FM Magazines.  But no matter.  I have never purchased nor read ANY of the FERRY produced magazines after Mr Ackerman parted from the magazine.  An apology to Uncle Forry by Ferry would be HOLLOW indeed.  Peace.
hammett1

"In front of me stood a GORILLA in a hat"

Toy Ranch

FM is dead to me.  Monsters From The Vault, Scary Monsters, Rue Morgue, and others have a warm place in my heart but no matter who is publishing it, FM died a long time ago and I'm not personally interested in soiling my very fond memories of FM with any new versions of it.

Universalrocks

I hope Kim doe's not make the mistake of joining up with them in the future. I would keep as faraway as I could if I were him.

CreepysFan

Quote from: Toy Ranch on April 09, 2009, 04:06:46 PM
FM is dead to me.   I'm not personally interested in soiling my very fond memories of FM with any new versions of it.
This mirrors my feelings as well, FM died with Warren.  I have no use for any other than Forry's original.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Gasport

I totally agree...this is SUCH a dead topic. Think i'll change my name to Boris Karloff and make a movie called "Frankenstein".   WHO CARES???