Did you actually READ Famous Monsters when you were a kid?

Started by ChrisW, March 29, 2009, 05:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

erik

I read the issues, that i initially bought on the newstands, but even then wanted to keep them in good shape. when i was in 9th grade or so, a relative bought me all the available back issues that were available thru the Captain Company. I decided i wanted those to remain Mint, so i immediately bagged those, and that is how they have remained to this day-- mint copies . I continued to get FM with subscriptions... until the original run, led by Forry, ended. I never had an interest in, what I felt, was the phony FM that was later taken over and resumed in later years.

Wicked Lester

Ditto on the picture and ad thing. I only remember actually buying a handful of FM. I was more into the monster comics and having a very limited allowance bought those first. I do remember sending away for that 6 ft moon monster poster and a set of B/W cut out masks. Kinda wish I still had those.

Mike

Inkfink

Thinking back, eyeballin' the ads for the FM back issues really transfixed me. Back then I didn't have the money to put in an order so I'd wonder what those back issues held in store. Over time those little B&W back issue ads became more and more iconic to me to the point some of those covers didn't seem the same when I saw them in color and in actual size.

ChrisW

John - I obsessed over the B/W ads of the built up Aurora kits. They were the most realistically done models I had ever seen. Especially the faces, Wolf Man and Dracula in particular.  I marvelled at the smooth blending and detail.
Second was the written description of the kits - imaginative and pictorial, they are ballyhoo at its finest!

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

hammerfan

I would read and re-read it cover to cover every time in case I missed something. I lived in a small town and the local Variety Store( remember those?) would only get a couple of copies of FM so I had to make sure I nabbed one as getting back issues was tough in those days. Ah it was such fun ordering stuff from Captain Company. I still have my 8mm film shorts  from Jason and the Argonauts.
Have the Lambs stopped screaming Clarice?....Dr. Lector

artistguy

I did read FM as a kid..hmmmm it started around 1975-76,  I was about 9 or 10...:) I  still remember those awesome covers...  From that point on I collected FM, Creepy, and Errie. I was hooked.  Flash forward 30 years later... the entire run of all three lost in a basement flood.  I was really bummed. I'm now buying the hard cover reprints of  Creepy and Errie. I guess at some point I'll have the entire set again...:)

Unknown Primate

Like a good monster, I devoured them all...  over & over.
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "