RENFIELD! April 2023

Started by aura of foreboding, January 06, 2023, 04:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aura of foreboding

I never thought I would say this....  But this looks really ******* good.

https://youtu.be/TxcFcgopAYs

Mike Scott

I didn't know it was going to be a comedy. Looks kind of fun!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Mike Scott on January 06, 2023, 07:19:59 AM
I didn't know it was going to be a comedy. Looks kind of fun!

I knew it was a comedy, so I was expecting the worst.  This film, if it's as good as its trailer, has a lot of promise to potentially relaunch the Universal Monsters to the masses, if Universal knows what to do next.  I definitely don't want to make Abbott and Costello Meets Frankenstein comparisons here... but I'm tempted... and that temptation has me very excited.  I'm getting Deadpool vibes from it without the raunchiness -- which is a big plus in my book.  And Deadpool is very much in right now, which is why I have hope this film will catch on.  Dracula looks great in this.  I'd like to see more cape, but time will tell. 

If the film doesn't start with a scratchy recording of Swan Lake, I'd be extremely surprised based on everything we have seen in the trailer... which was a total love letter to the original 1931 film.  So many homages.  Can't wait!




Rex fury

I liked the trailer too. The idea that Renfield takes his problems to a self- help group is pretty original (to me at least), and I liked the short glimpse of Cage portraying Dracula. I'm looking forward to seeing it this April.

RF

Earth 2 Chris

This looks fun! The idea of a fighting master vampire familiar is a bit like Guillmero in What We Do In The Shadows. But it's got enough of it's own thing and classic Dracula homages to get me past that.

Haunted hearse

Quote from: aura of foreboding on January 06, 2023, 02:18:25 PM
I knew it was a comedy, so I was expecting the worst.  This film, if it's as good as its trailer, has a lot of promise to potentially relaunch the Universal Monsters to the masses, if Universal knows what to do next.  I definitely don't want to make Abbott and Costello Meets Frankenstein comparisons here...
Yet, with the success of "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein", we did see the old monsters being brought back, in their comedies, until we got the last of the classic Universal monsters with "Creature from the Black Lagoon". The first two Brenden Fraisure "Mummy" films were successful, possibly because they didn't take themselves too seriously. A comic take on the old classic monsters could breathe new life into the classic Universal Monsters.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

delfloria

Much to my surprise as well, this looks like a lot of fun. Love Renfield's reaction to the moderator gleefully INVITING Dracula in.

aura of foreboding

Quote from: delfloria on January 07, 2023, 09:26:51 PM
Much to my surprise as well, this looks like a lot of fun. Love Renfield's reaction to the moderator gleefully INVITING Dracula in.

I know!  That's what makes me really excited about this.  The writers know their stuff... and, apparently, whoever edited this trailer does too. 

judd

If Nora is in it, it has to be good.

delfloria

Would have been cool if one his rings was the original.

MikeSTZillak

Was a bit more actiony that I was expecting it to be.

But Nic Cage as Drac has me sold LOL.

delfloria

How come there is not more chatter about this film? According to the director this is a direct sequel to the original.

"I kept telling marketing that that's what we should say, that this is the only direct sequel. I guess you could argue 'Dracula's Daughter' is a sequel because the opening scene is the aftermath of the Tod Browning movie, but Bela Lugosi's not in it, it's a whole different set of characters. And it's a great movie, it's wild if you haven't seen it. I thought the movie was great. But to me, this is the only real direct sequel with the Dracula and the Renfield of that movie. So yeah, I wish they'd use that in the marketing.

One of the trailers has Cage doing replicated scenes from Dracula in Black and white.

Mike Scott

Quote from: delfloria on March 21, 2023, 10:58:55 PM
One of the trailers has Cage doing replicated scenes from Dracula in Black and white.

Cool!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: delfloria on March 21, 2023, 10:58:55 PM
But to me, this is the only real direct sequel with the Dracula and the Renfield of that movie.
So is Renfield also back from the dead, somehow?

delfloria

Could this be today's version of ACMF? Sounds like the Universal Monsters Dracula may have found a way back into popular culture after listening to this reviewer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2BG2cgWHs4