Phantom of the Opera (Hammer, 1962)

Started by Mike...In 3-D!, September 26, 2022, 12:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike...In 3-D!

I watched it for the first time last night and I have to say, I actually dug this take on the story. I don't hear/see it discussed much, so I was curious how the rest of you felt about it.
"Naughty, naughty! Don't touch, Butch knows best."

Rex fury

I haven't seen it in a while, but I recall liking it.
RF

Anton Phibes

Believe it or not, it was actually written for...Cary Grant. He was supposed to play The Phantom. That's why the dwarf does most of the evil in the film. Lom's voice, the atmosphere, the music, are all very nice. My favorite aspects of the film are Lom's voice, and the design of his mask. The mask has a very "student film" look to it. Like the original Leatherface mask. It's right up there with The Reptile and Plague of the Zombies in my book.

Sir Masksalot

The shot of that hanging corpse ripping through the curtain is still a shocker.
I remember that and having to wait until the final scene for the great reveal >

I haven't watched the movie in a long time but rather would again than any
of the remakes that followed it.

Mike Scott

One of my favorite Hammer movies! Love Lom's performance! Great score! I doubt you'll see it, anymore, but there was a U.S. TV version with added scenes featuring a police detective.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Earth 2 Chris

I like it! Lom is great, and Michael Gough can play a nasty SOB.

MikeSTZillak

Quote from: Mike Scott on September 26, 2022, 04:09:01 PM
One of my favorite Hammer movies! Love Lom's performance! Great score! I doubt you'll see it, anymore, but there was a U.S. TV version with added scenes featuring a police detective.
Believe those were included in Shout's Collector's Edition Blu-ray.

Anyway, this is probably my favorite of the three Universal Phantoms (yes, better even than the silent original).

Mike Scott

Quote from: MikeSTZillak on September 26, 2022, 11:28:55 PM
Believe those were included in Shout's Collector's Edition Blu-ray.

I've got that 8 movie Hammer BR set that Universal put out.
CREATURE FAN

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: Anton Phibes on September 26, 2022, 02:04:00 PM
The mask has a very "student film" look to it. Like the original Leatherface mask.
I believe I've read that this was because they forgot to make the mask until right before filming. Though I'm not sure it's true.

Anyways, I really think the design of the character and sets are all really cool. Unfortunately, it's a bit too cleaned up for a Hammer production. I mean, only three people die, and one of them's The Phantom. I do like this movie, though. It strays from the book, but not nearly as much as the 43 one does. It does an interesting twist on the story. I get the feeling the filmmakers didn't get a chance to see the Chaney film, as there's no real influence from it. (It wasn't a normal thing to get to see a silent movie at that particular time.) So they had only the Rains film and the book to go off of.

MikeSTZillak

Quote from: Mike Scott on September 26, 2022, 11:52:50 PM
I've got that 8 movie Hammer BR set that Universal put out.
Quality is a bit better on Shout's release and it has a bit more info on the top and bottom: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=14834&d2=14832&s1=154348&s2=154315&i=2&l=1

Though that collection was certainly a deal.

Mike Scott

Quote from: MikeSTZillak on September 27, 2022, 03:05:21 AM
Though that collection was certainly a deal.

I thought they all had the correct AR, but only half of them do.  :(
CREATURE FAN

Anton Phibes

Some years back, before Herbert Lom passed away, he would sign photos for people through the mail for free. You just had to include a return envelope.

Sir Masksalot

Quote from: Anton Phibes on September 26, 2022, 02:04:00 PM
the design of his mask. The mask has a very "student film" look to it.

As a kid, my first look at the character was in the "Monster Old Maid" card set.
To my untrained eye, he looked more like Kharis from Universal's Mummy movies
but even creepier since he had no mouth >

Lunkenstein

It's my second favorite version right after Chaney's silent.
Paul