UPDATE: The Ghost Sighting!!! SCARY!!!!

Started by Rockshasa, July 05, 2022, 06:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockshasa

Hey all,

Just finished Monarch Models' The Ghost. I actually started working on this kit many years ago, right after it was released. It was the last model that I had started building/painting before I took an extended break from monster modeling. Maybe when you read this you'll understand. There was something strange about this kit when it arrived. It was covered in cobwebs and it smelled like a great grandmothers attic. Upon opening the box, it wreaked of mothballs, cedar, Aspercreme, and wet Irish Setter. I'm serious!

So, I don't know about the rest of you monster modelers, but I found this model a bit of a challenge. Weirdest, freakiest, spookiest monster model I've EVER worked on. Let me tell ya!  The most difficult part was assembling the body of the Ghost. When it came down to assembly, I really just had to use my imagination. Or at least what I thought was my imagination...ummm, uh...I, uh, found it extremely difficult to tell what was a leg? An arm? Or a head? I kept blinking my eyes and grabbing at what I thought was a...well, oh, I really couldn't tell... *sigh*. I also had an extremely hard time with the gap-filling. To be honest, I couldn't find the gaps because I couldn't see them, which I guess saved me alot of time and effort, you know? Jeesh! Thank goodness!

The worst part was painting the actual Ghost. I was having a really hard time seeing it. I just couldn't focus. I had paint all over my fingers, hands, and work desk. It was a mess! In hindsight, I think it looks okay, but I'm having a hard time telling because I really...can't...see it. It's been the most difficult model for me to rate after building. I mean, I do like the way the base turned out, but I can't really tell if, ummm...how the Ghost turned out?

My Dad keeps telling me I need new glasses. Maybe that's what the problem is? He says it looks good, "Real spooky", he says!  He tells me I should do more ghost models...that I'm "on to something". He says "do more of them...the ghosts...only next time without their bases". Dad's always full of ideas. Anyway, I honestly don't know where I'd put them? I'm thinking they'd take up too much room.

Here's a nice pic of the Ghost' upper torso...kinda, sorta...I think? Maybe?

And here's a really nice pic of his head. You have to look real hard. Pretty cool, huh?
Ghosts are so spooky! This picture gives me the chills...brrrrrrrrr:

So how do you all think the Ghost looks? Dad says he's "a study in hyper-realism". Me? I can't decide. I'm thinking it's missing something. I'll see if I can get better photos of it tonight, at the stroke of midnight, but I'm sure you all understand this paranormal stuff is very unpredictable, as well as difficult to capture on camera, so I can't promise anything. Wish me luck.

Mike Scott

I think the castle walls and stairs and the critters and such look great! The Ghost, however, is just not doin' anything for me. It's like you didn't even try!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Rockshasa

Quote from: Mike Scott on July 05, 2022, 08:41:14 PM
I think the castle walls and stairs and the critters and such look great! The Ghost, however, is just not doin' anything for me. It's like you didn't even try!
What do you mean? I spent alot of time working on the Ghost. I know he's a bit hard to see. But, you know, well, he's a ghost. What am I supposed to do? He's been making short appearances at midnight. I still have the camera and tripod set up for tonight. At the stroke of midnight, I'll be snapping away. We'll see what shows up on the camera...if I caught any specters, phantoms, orbs or God help us – styrene monsters.

Rockshasa

UPDATE:

I don't know where to start...I'm shaking as I type.

Midnight has come and gone. I had made my way downstairs to my modeling desk where I had set up my little camera shoot from earlier in the day. Everything was ready. I poured a glass of red wine and munched on a burrito. At exactly midnight, the chandelier lights flickered ever so slightly. The temperature dropped in the room and I could see my breath. I immediately started snapping away on my digital camera. There were sparks and flashes. Burps and farts. It happened so fast. I wasn't exactly sure what I had seen. It was all a blur. I immediately ran upstairs, plugged my camera into my computer, downloaded the photos and was in absolute SHOCK and HORROR at what I saw.

Gasp...and behold!!!

The Ghost

Now are you convinced?
😲

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Sir Masksalot

'Fun post, as suspenseful as a good ghost story. 'Great paint too ... on everybody!

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

MonsterBaker666

VERY nice!  I'd never have thought to paint the ghost that way, but it looks perfect!  Is that glow-in-the-dark paint?  If not gives that illusion.  High marks!!

Rockshasa

Thanks guys! I really did start this model years ago. The base had been finished and the Ghost had his base coats painted, but he got shelved. In painting the Ghost, I was going for the Disney Haunted Mansion hitchhiking ghost look. So yeah, I wanted that faux glow-in-the-dark pale greenish color. I painted the Ghost base coat with Interior Aircraft Blue/Green. This was covered with many dry-brushed coats of Duck Egg Blue. Those two colors combined created a really nice ghostly look.

Hepcat

Quote from: Rockshasa on July 05, 2022, 06:47:15 PMI also had an extremely hard time with the gap-filling. To be honest, I couldn't find the gaps because I couldn't see them, which I guess saved me alot of time and effort, you know?

That's alright. Any idea of gap filling never even occurred to any monster kid back in the day.

;)

Collecting! It's what I do!

Rockshasa

Quote from: Hepcat on July 12, 2022, 12:15:29 AM
That's alright. Any idea of gap filling never even occurred to any monster kid back in the day.
LOL, I actually did alot of gap filling on the Ghost. I was just being facetious. I used quite a bit of Milliputt on the wall, the steps, and around the shoulders of the Ghost. A sculptor I am not, but I seem to do pretty well patching things up if need be.

Dr. Sam Hain

Not sure how I missed this.

That is one seeeriously dapper looking Ghost man. Probs the best colour choice I have ever seen applied to the kits character.

Any chance of an extra bonus spray over with a translucent illuminous coating for a Glow in the Dark hit :o :o

Aaaaw-ohhh, I do so love that grumpy wee Owl.

Hepcat

Quote from: Dr. Sam Hain on November 03, 2022, 04:27:59 PMThat is one seeeriously dapper looking Ghost man. Probs the best colour choice I have ever seen applied to the kits character.

I agree. That Ghost looks great!

:)

BigShadow

Wow!  That looks fantastic.  Wish I could paint like that.  Instead, my stuff still looks like a six-year-old is painting, lol.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast

Hepcat

Quote from: BigShadow on November 03, 2022, 06:14:48 PMInstead, my stuff still looks like a six-year-old is painting, lol.

Excellent! That's just the right monster kid look.

:)