Universal Monsters 4K box

Started by Mord, August 05, 2021, 09:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mord

A Universal Monsters 4K box will be out in time for Halloween. The box includes 4K versions of Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolfman, and the Invisible Man. It will be out October 5th and, yes, I'm sucker enough to buy it. I need to feed my 4K player something (plus, I have too much spare cash laying around). Hi, everybody.

Mike Scott

I'm gonna wait for the 5K set coming out at Christmas.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Lunkenstein

I'm sure they'll look great, but I'm happy enough with my Blu-rays and DVDs. Plus, I can't imagine trying to explain to my wife that I'm buying these films again, lol.
Paul

Mord

Quote from: Mike Scott on August 05, 2021, 10:24:35 PM
I'm gonna wait for the 5K set coming out at Christmas.
Let's see you be that dismissive when they announce that 16K smellorama Creature set.

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Lunkenstein on August 06, 2021, 02:35:16 AM
I'm sure they'll look great, but I'm happy enough with my Blu-rays and DVDs. Plus, I can't imagine trying to explain to my wife that I'm buying these films again, lol. 

Didn't you have the same reaction when they first started talking about BLU-Rays?  ("I've already bought them on VHS tapes and DVD's; I don't need to buy them again.")

How many DVD's have you replaced with BLU-Rays?
ADAM

Lunkenstein

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on August 06, 2021, 08:43:22 PM
Didn't you have the same reaction when they first started talking about BLU-Rays?  ("I've already bought them on VHS tapes and DVD's; I don't need to buy them again.")

How many DVD's have you replaced with BLU-Rays?

I did go the VHS to DVD to Blu-ray bit with many cherished titles and Universal Monster sets, but there were also a lot of DVDs that looked quite good on my Blu-ray player that I didn't replace.  I also have to watch money a little more since retiring.  I'm good for now, but never say never.  If technology keeps advancing and prices are good, I may bite again someday.
Paul

Mike Scott

Quote from: Lunkenstein on August 07, 2021, 12:20:07 AM
If technology keeps advancing and prices are good, I may bite again someday.

I'm only rebuying when technology can put me into the movie as one of the characters.
CREATURE FAN

Lunkenstein

Quote from: Mike Scott on August 07, 2021, 12:46:36 AM
I'm only rebuying when technology can put me into the movie as one of the characters.

Lol, I was thinking something similar. A holograph version where the movie is going on all around you.  I didn't think of playing a character, but that could a cool, bonus material option.
Paul

crissrudd4554

Probably pass mostly cause I don't have a 4K player anyways. Plus I more or less decided when I got the 30 film set that would likely be the last time I'd buy these movies to that extent.

Monsters For Sale

I'd like to see The Wolf Man in 4k.  I think it is the best-looking of all the Universal classic monster films. So atmospheric.

When I bought my last TV (I hope it's my last TV) I bought a 4k smart TV that I can watch YouTube on.  Amazon had it on sale with a really deep discount.  I didn't get a 4k player, because they were really expensive and there weren't many 4k discs available.

I have only a few 4k discs that I bought when they were offered along with the BLU-Ray upgrades that I wanted for just a very few dollars more.

Are all 4k discs region-free?  I can't remember ever seeing a warning about discs not being viewable in all areas.
ADAM

Lunkenstein

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on August 07, 2021, 03:33:59 PM
Are all 4k discs region-free?  I can't remember ever seeing a warning about discs not being viewable in all areas.

I did a quick search and it looks like they are region-free at least for now.
Paul

zombiehorror

The standard/restored HD prints used on the Blurays look fantastic and are good enough for me.

crissrudd4554

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on August 07, 2021, 03:33:59 PM
I'd like to see The Wolf Man in 4k.  I think it is the best-looking of all the Universal classic monster films. So atmospheric.

What's sad is technically The Wolf Man wasn't even properly restored for the original Blu-ray release. It's basically the transfer originally made for the 2010 DVD but has been scrubbed up a bit. Bearing that in mind it'll be interesting to see what people's thoughts are on that films 4K presentation.

Rich

I honestly like the way Dracula looks better on Blu-ray. The 4K is way too dark, and you can barely see any of the set design in Dracula's castle at the beginning of the film.
Listen to them. Children of the Night. What music they make!