The Illustrated History of Don Post Studios Book

Started by eviljim, October 16, 2014, 05:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scumbags And Superstars

Is this book still available? I tried searching & couldn't find it. Just found the preorder for the special edition one coming out.

Anyone know where I can score one of these?

Gory Glenn

Quote from: Scumbags And Superstars on August 10, 2015, 07:59:55 PM
Is this book still available? I tried searching & couldn't find it. Just found the preorder for the special edition one coming out.

Anyone know where I can score one of these?

The 2nd edition in regular and collectors edition are both available for pre-order here:

https://blacksparrowinc.com/shop/

Both are hardcover.

Gory Glenn

Cynthialil

Hi all. I've been lurking for awhile and this looked like the best place to jump in because I just interviewed the author of the Don Post book, Lee Lambert.

He was kind enough to give me access to a few dozen vintage photos from Don Post Studios including a nice shot of Don Jr. with Forry Ackerman and so many others. I put them all together in a slide show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKjBoU8dTWs

The photos taken at a convention in what I'm guessing was in the 70's were a real blast from the past.

Sir Masksalot

This book was a long time coming, I might even say a lifetime. Prior to its publication, the only print media
available on Post Studios could be found in Dr Lady's guidebook and occasional magazine articles >

I missed its infamous premiere launch at MaskFest 2014 and was amazed to hear that all fifty copies
on Lee's signing table had sold out within minutes >

I got my very first look at the book at a local convention where Blacksparrow Auctions had a display-only
copy on their table along with other lots. As I flipped through, two eager fans nearby noticed and began
peering over my shoulder at it >

When Lee's book tour reached my neck of the woods, I followed them around wherever they went.
First stop was Dark Delicacies bookstore where they were joined by V.I.P.s from the glory days of
Post Studios. There were anxious hours preceding the event as the books themselves were delayed
at the ports due to a labor dispute and the red tape of Customs. Thankfully they arrived in the nick
of time and I was able to score my own copy of the coveted chronicle and got autographs from
everyone there >

The remaining autograph I desperately wanted was Don Post's who'd been absent from the DD event.
Not long after, a big monster convention blew into town and I brought my book with me in hopes of
seeing him there. Anyone who owns this book knows it weighs a ton but I dutifully lugged it around
all weekend until spotting the elusive mask-making legend and his son in the dark of night.
Both signed and my quest was fulfilled >

Then came DonCon 2015, that non-stop weekend of off-the-scales ecstasy for mask fans. It was there
that the long-awaited second edition of Lee's book debuted in hard cover. I bought one, collected the
necessary inscriptions, and have re-read it every October since to boost my Halloween spirit.

The book made its last public appearance at a local art exhibition the following year, paired with
the actual Frankenstein mask which had served as its cover model >

The book still comes up in social media discussions to this day, further tribute to the passion and
dedication of all us monsterkids who contributed. I can't imagine anybody trying to write a
better one but if they ever do, I'll be first in line at their signing table!

michblk

Sir Maskalot, are you in any of the photos?  I know most of the people in them.

Brian K
"There is something wrong with us, very, very wrong with us"
Bill Murray - Stripes

Sir Masksalot

Quote from: michblk on November 14, 2020, 02:54:00 AM
Sir Maskalot, are you in any of the photos?

'You mean, I don't have a face that somebody would remember?

Monster Matt

Exquisite drawing you attached there, Sir Masksalot..
Know this image very well from Preston Blair's book Cartoon Animating.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monster Matt on June 10, 2021, 10:24:27 AM
Know this image very well from Preston Blair's book Cartoon Animating.

Love his work on the Tex Avery MGM cartoons!  :)
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website