1964 8mm Monster Movie

Started by Monolith, January 23, 2021, 07:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monolith

Quote from: Allhallowsday on January 29, 2021, 04:16:31 AM
It looks like the boys put bandage tape on the bridge of the nose to cover the "stitches". 
I like the sound effects added to the movies!

I think you might be right.

My brother's been transferring some of his old 8mm films to digital and posting them on youtube lately. Here's another one from 1964, it's titled TERRORS OF FRANKENSTEIN. He plays the monster, his friend plays Dr. Frankenstein, and my sister plays the girl with the flowers. He said unfortunately his make-up makes the monster look like a French mime. Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0sGLDhMcFo&lc=Ugyzbzw3I3Pe33Rx67p4AaABAg.9JHut3QIg5y9JIqURLP-y0&feature=em-comments

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monolith on February 05, 2021, 06:41:40 AM
He said unfortunately his make-up makes the monster look like a French mime.

Maybe he was going for more of a Chris Lee look?

What happened to the little girl? I need closure!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Sir Masksalot

Quote from: Monolith on February 05, 2021, 06:41:40 AM
the girl with the flowers

It's interesting that your brother's Monster picks up the flower girl very much like Karloff's did ...
and long before that lost scene was rediscovered and restored to prints of the 1931 movie.

Hepcat

Quote from: Mike Scott on February 05, 2021, 07:45:49 AMWhat happened to the little girl? I need closure!

He tossed her in the lake and I believe she drowned.

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Monolith

Quote from: Mike Scott on February 05, 2021, 07:45:49 AM
Maybe he was going for more of a Chris Lee look?

What happened to the little girl? I need closure!

It's quite possible he was going for a Chris Lee look--he's always been a big Lee fan.

I can assure you the girl is fine. She's alive and well and has a husband and a son now.

Here's another short film. This one is from 1967, it's called A FIEND IN THE SHADOWS, it's not a monster movie, but it's still cool. My brother plays the Shadow. In it I make my acting debut--I play the midget robot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMUXJr6Ep2Q&t=86s

Monolith

Quote from: Sir Masksalot on February 05, 2021, 02:48:00 PM
It's interesting that your brother's Monster picks up the flower girl very much like Karloff's did ...
and long before that lost scene was rediscovered and restored to prints of the 1931 movie.

Yes, that is interesting.

Hepcat

Quote from: Monolith on February 06, 2021, 07:39:06 AMI can assure you the girl is fine. She's alive and well and has a husband and a son now.

Well that's a significant deviation from the time-honoured script.

:-\
Collecting! It's what I do!

Monolith

He just posted another short film. This one is a little later, it was made in 1967. My brother plays Dracula, Van Helsing is attacked by a werewolf, and there is some unintentional double exposure of film that kind of adds to the horror. This one is different in mood than the others...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcq1hrNHyNo&feature=youtu.be

Sir Masksalot

Music? Sound effects? Intertitles? Your home movies are much more sophisticated than mine ever were!

Monolith

Quote from: Sir Masksalot on February 11, 2021, 11:32:18 PM
Music? Sound effects? Intertitles? Your home movies are much more sophisticated than mine ever were!

They were shot on silent film, the music and sound effects were added more recently.

Mike Scott

Makes me want to get out the "Obsession" soundtrack and play it!  :)
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

BijouBob8mm

Man, I love seeing this stuff.  It's always great to see the movies other monster kids were making -- something we couldn't do in the pre-Internet days.  I like to surf YouTube in hopes of finding things like this.  In the fall of 1978, my senior year in high school, I got to attend an animation workshop offered by the Heron School of Art and Design (part of the Indiana University and Purdue University system in Indianapolis).  It was one of several workshops available to high school seniors on Saturdays for a semester (in hopes of luring them into considering Heron as their college of choice after graduation).  It was an eye-opening experience to meet, talk and work with guys my age from across the state, showing each other our films and talking about ideas, techniques, etc..  Up until then, most exposure to other student filmmakers was limited to people in my own school with similar interests.  Again, in those pre-Internet days, that kind of widespread interaction just wasn't available.  (Although most of us here are old enough to remember that, but to the current generations that probably seems primitive or unimaginable.)

If you haven't already, grab up a copy of the DVD called MONSTER KID HOME MOVIES, which has a lot of the early 8mm efforts of some of the guys who later got into horror biz professionally in one way or another.  And then there's Don Glut's double DVD set, I WAS A TEENAGE MOVIE MAKER.  There had been plans to do a second volume of MONSTER KID HOME MOVIES, which would have included my half hour Super 8 version of FRANKENSTEIN (although it owed as much to Hammer and FRANKENSTEIN: THE TRUE STORY as it did Mary Shelley).