NECA HAS OBTAINED UNIVERSAL MONSTERS!!!!

Started by Anton Phibes, January 29, 2021, 11:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonsterBaker666

YoungestMonsterKid

If we're gonna talk about figures we'd just like to see, like in general, I'd love to finally have a Chaney Phantom figure where he's wearing the smoking jacket. Since that's what he wears in the unmasking scene. Yeah, not a lot of people talk about that outfit, I guess cause there aren't really any stills of him in it. But nevertheless, it's a cool outfit.

DrMirakle32

Quote from: YoungestMonsterKid on November 02, 2021, 02:07:52 AM
If we're gonna talk about figures we'd just like to see, like in general, I'd love to finally have a Chaney Phantom figure where he's wearing the smoking jacket. Since that's what he wears in the unmasking scene. Yeah, not a lot of people talk about that outfit, I guess cause there aren't really any stills of him in it. But nevertheless, it's a cool outfit.

This would be nice. Though it will probably never happen, I would also love to finally see a Claude Rains Phantom figure. That's the film that sold in the home video collections, and the version that introduced me to the character.

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: DrMirakle32 on November 03, 2021, 07:32:23 PM
This would be nice. Though it will probably never happen, I would also love to finally see a Claude Rains Phantom figure. That's the film that sold in the home video collections, and the version that introduced me to the character.
I might like to see A Rains Phantom figure. But only coming after a Chaney one. Not as a replacement to him. Sort of like how Sideshow did every actor who played the Frankenstein monster.

Lazarus

I'm not so sure we'll see any more Chaney Phantom merchandise under the Universal Monsters banner if they don't control that film anymore.  I think that's why we've started seeing Rains phantom merchandise the last few years, after never getting it previously.

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: Lazarus on November 04, 2021, 08:47:39 PM
I'm not so sure we'll see any more Chaney Phantom merchandise under the Universal Monsters banner if they don't control that film anymore.  I think that's why we've started seeing Rains phantom merchandise the last few years, after never getting it previously.
They haven't controlled that film since the 50s. Yet they've merchandised it. And TBH, we've seen a lot of recent Chaney Phantom merch.

And to be honest, the only true Rains Phantom I've seen is that one little Funko figure. (That bendy figure thing maybe, but he resembled ALW most of all.) So, I don't think I'd say they've lost the Chaney Phantom at all. But we might start seeing a bit of both. It probably is gonna depend a bit on if the merch has the Chaney Entertainment approval secured.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Lazarus on November 04, 2021, 08:47:39 PM
I'm not so sure we'll see any more Chaney Phantom merchandise under the Universal Monsters banner if they don't control that film anymore.

There's a difference between copyright on the film and TM for merch.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: Mike Scott on November 04, 2021, 11:48:59 PM
There's a difference between copyright on the film and TM for merch.
Well do they still have the TM for the merch then?
They seem to still be merchandising it. Just they're also merchandise the Rains one too now. *shrugs*

YoungestMonsterKid

Actually, I think Chaney Entertainment has the TM to it, right? So if Universal is having trouble with the Chaney family, that could explain it. Sort of like why there's not gonna be a Super7 Hunchback, right? But then again, I still see some relatively new Chaney Phantom stuff, so I can't be sure.

fearliath

Quote from: YoungestMonsterKid on November 04, 2021, 11:56:24 PM
Actually, I think Chaney Entertainment has the TM to it, right? So if Universal is having trouble with the Chaney family, that could explain it. Sort of like why there's not gonna be a Super7 Hunchback, right? But then again, I still see some relatively new Chaney Phantom stuff, so I can't be sure.

Is THAT why they aren't doing a Hunchback figure? I know he isn't the most popular but I've dreamed of a Hunchback to go with my Remco Mini Monsters since I was 6 years old. Almost materialized and then POOF. Gone.

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: fearliath on November 05, 2021, 01:53:17 AM
Is THAT why they aren't doing a Hunchback figure? I know he isn't the most popular but I've dreamed of a Hunchback to go with my Remco Mini Monsters since I was 6 years old. Almost materialized and then POOF. Gone.
I feel the same way. But hey, maybe they'll work something out with the Chaneys?
I know they've been having problems with each other since at least 2013. Yet they've managed.

Mike Scott

Quote from: YoungestMonsterKid on November 04, 2021, 11:56:24 PM
Actually, I think Chaney Entertainment has the TM to it, right?

What the relatives control is the actor's likeness. The claim you can see the actor through the makeup.  ::) This is why Ben Chapman couldn't get any money for being The Creature.
CREATURE FAN

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: Mike Scott on November 05, 2021, 02:43:11 AM

What the relatives control is the actor's likeness. The claim you can see the actor through the makeup.  ::) This is why Ben Chapman couldn't get any money for being The Creature.
Yeah, but I've read that specifically the Chaney's have the rights to Lon Chaney Sr's makeups. Since he created them. I'm not sure how true it is, but I'm pretty sure they claim that.

Mike Scott

Quote from: YoungestMonsterKid on November 05, 2021, 02:57:14 AM
I've read that specifically the Chaney's have the rights to Lon Chaney Sr's makeups.

I kind of doubt it. Chaney was under contract with Universal when he created the makeup. The costume designer's heirs don't get any money when they use those costumes on the toys.
CREATURE FAN

YoungestMonsterKid

Quote from: Mike Scott on November 05, 2021, 03:19:57 AM
I kind of doubt it. Chaney was under contract with Universal when he created the makeup. The costume designer's heirs don't get any money when the use those costumes on the toys.
Yeah, I have my doubts too. A lot of the legality with the Chaney Phantom doesn't make sense to me. Two companies seem to own the look, despite the movie being public domain.