NECA HAS OBTAINED UNIVERSAL MONSTERS!!!!

Started by Anton Phibes, January 29, 2021, 11:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonsterBaker666

And MacReady from John Carpenter's The Thing, too!

Dark Knight 1985

Yes the Neca Ultimate Color Frankenstein Karloff is now available on many different websites for pre order ! Where are all the Monster fans pre ordering ? I use Amok, Big Bad or EE.

MonsterBaker666

Quote from: Dark Knight 1985 on July 16, 2021, 06:04:28 PM
Yes the Neca Ultimate Color Frankenstein Karloff is now available on many different websites for pre order ! Where are all the Monster fans pre ordering ? I use Amok, Big Bad or EE.

Big Bad Toy Store for me. 

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

MonsterBaker666

Big Bad Toy Store doesn't charge you on pre-orders until it ships.

Doh!

Now I have a moral dilemma: I already have the B&W Frank on preorder with BBTS, fully intending with collecting this version of all the monsters. Then they put out the color Wolf Man first and the paint is pretty bad. However, he's my favorite character! Do I cross my fingers and hope we get a B&W Wolfie eventually, or switch to color for these and preorder Frank now? I don't have to have a mixed set, regardless. And I certainly don't want to double up on these.

*sigh!*

John Pertwee

This is Neca we are talking about, so it is safe to assume that they will do at least a color and B&W version of each release.

Anton Phibes

Quote from: John Pertwee on July 18, 2021, 01:32:29 PM
This is Neca we are talking about, so it is safe to assume that they will do at least a color and B&W version of each release.

The reason why there is some confusion about this (and some folks are in a tizzy about it) is Randy Falk was asked point blank if every monster would receive a black and white release as well as a color. His reply was "No, not all of them." I wish he would've clarified for people that there is no reason to make a black and white figure from films that are in color. Like This Island Earth's Metaluna Mutant. No reason for a b/w edition. Or the Masque of the Red Death sequence from Phantom of the Opera. Also shot in color.  No reason to offer it in b/w unless you are offering a "Stills from Famous Monsters" edition or a "Black and white portable tv edition",lol. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't milk the variants on the others.

Personally, I have very few items in b/w. I don't get into them unless they are really well done, or its the only way an item is offered.

Just because the films were shot in b/w doesn't mean people on the set were walking around in sepia tones in the 1930-50's era of film making,lol.

Of the 100's of items I have of monsters, I literally have two in b/w. Rainman's Psycho 1/6 set, and a Six Strings Productions Wolfman 1941 resin kit that I bought pre-painted that way (at a heck of a bargain) by Dan Fuller.

Never really understood the appeal of sepia toned 3 dimensional items myself. To each their own. :angel:

MonsterBaker666

I'm pretty new to this game, just discovering NECA within the last few months.  So when I saw that there was a B&W Frankenstein figure, I quickly preordered it.  Then I found out Walmart had a color exclusive figure, and was VERY lucky to have found it.

Personally I prefer color figures to B&W ones.  So if they come out with a B&W Wolf Man, I may pass on it.  I'll have to see how the paintjob is on it before I decide. 

Of course color figures can be tricky - what color was the Wolf Man's shirt?  What color was his pants?  Did the Frankenstein monster REALLY have that stupid green colored jacket?  Why does the Wolf Man's nose looks almost black when it didn't look that way in the B&W film?  And the greasepaint for the Frankenstein monster was "sky gray" according to Jack Pierce, the same color he used on the Clickers in Creation Of The Humanoids - a blueish looking color. So should he be sky gray or green as he is usually depicted?

Doh!

I hope you fellers are correct about a B&W Wolfie! I usually collect the color versions when given the choice. For these, however, I want to mix up my collection a bit.

Mike Scott

Quote from: MonsterBaker666 on July 18, 2021, 05:17:51 PM
Did the Frankenstein monster REALLY have that stupid green colored jacket? 

No.  ;D

Quote from: MonsterBaker666 on July 18, 2021, 05:17:51 PM
So should he be sky gray or green as he is usually depicted?

I think it should be what Pierce was thinking of. Pallor mortis, the first stage of death, is an after-death paleness that occurs in those with light/white skin.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Anton Phibes on July 18, 2021, 01:52:32 PM
Personally, I have very few items in b/w. I don't get into them unless they are really well done, or its the only way an item is offered.

I bought probably less b/w than you and promptly unloaded them when color was afforded me.  I don't think I still own any "silver screen" edition items other than a few LBHs from the Toys R Us box set and four of those cool Japanese figures.

Count Zachula

Only new UM reveal from NECA for their Comic Con panel was the Mummy...

John Pertwee

Is that the Iron Studios sarcophagus or are we getting that with the Mummy for 30 bucks?