Top 10 Toys That Almost Killed Me - JEFF DUNHAM

Started by Monsters For Sale, July 18, 2018, 07:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remco Wolfman

Quote from: Hepcat on August 08, 2018, 02:17:40 PM
We still did that in the early seventies as twenty year olds!

We still do that in 2018. Not on the freeway, but for anyone who hunts, has EVER been on a farm or uses a truck for anything it was actually made for this is very common.

I've been around enough to realize such a thing would be very shocking/horrifying to anyone who lives on the right or left coast or any other place where carrying a holstered handgun would be uncommon enough to get a second glance. But in a very large part of America this is all still very normal.

I'm not saying either way is right or wrong. I am saying different regions of the US are now very diverse in what is locally considered "normal".

Jim Bertges

Speaking of toy safety, this thread brought back an old memory. I got a Mattel Dick Tracy Shootin' Shell Snub Nose .38 with Shoulder Holster for Christmas 1959 (or 1960) and my Dad, my brother and I would use it to play Russian Roulette. We'd put extra Greenie Stick-um Caps on the cartridge to increase the power and the bang and passed the revolver around. Talk about teaching your kids gun safety.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

Doh!

Yep, had the metal cap pistols when I grew up. Of course, it was in the 'burbs so not much chance of them being mistaken for real guns.

Hepcat

Quote from: Rex fury on August 07, 2018, 09:02:45 PMWe used to practice throwing our pocket knives to see who get them the deepest into wood. Remembering that from the good ol days I bought my daughter a set of throwing knives two Christmases back. She loves them and is a way better shot than me!

Very cool!

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Quote from: Jim Bertges on August 08, 2018, 07:56:11 PMSpeaking of toy safety, this thread brought back an old memory. I got a Mattel Dick Tracy Shootin' Shell Snub Nose .38 with Shoulder Holster for Christmas 1959 (or 1960) and my Dad, my brother and I would use it to play Russian Roulette. We'd put extra Greenie Stick-um Caps on the cartridge to increase the power and the bang and passed the revolver around. Talk about teaching your kids gun safety.

Cool game for the whole family!

8)

Hepcat

Krel

Quote from: Doh! on August 11, 2018, 08:13:37 AM
Yep, had the metal cap pistols when I grew up.

And if you were given a gun and holster set, the holster was made out of leather!

Not a toy, but I was in Michael's last week, and in the drafting section I saw an old style compass like we had in school back in the 60's and 70's.  The ones with the long metal spike, that would get the Cops called if you brought on into a school in these times, as it would be considered a weapon.  :o

I bought it, it was under two dollars.   :laugh:

David.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Krel on January 27, 2021, 12:37:55 AM
And if you were given a gun and holster set, the holster was made out of leather!

And we would set off an entire roll of caps with a hammer!  BAM!! ;D
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on January 27, 2021, 12:55:51 AM
And we would set off an entire roll of caps with a hammer!  BAM!! ;D 

Ah, Hammer.  And Saw...  Two of my favorite toys.
ADAM

Hepcat

Quote from: Mike Scott on January 27, 2021, 12:55:51 AMAnd we would set off an entire roll of caps with a hammer!  BAM!! ;D

My buddy and I did that once in my father's little basement workshop to amplify the effect.

;)

Mike Scott

Quote from: Hepcat on January 27, 2021, 02:40:52 AM
My buddy and I did that once in my father's little basement workshop to amplify the effect.

And cause hearing loss!  ;D
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

BijouBob8mm

QuoteRemember when Clackers got banned?

I may still have a pair of Clackers/Click-Clacks here.

Ah yes, the Boy Scout pocket knife.  (There was also a Cub Scout version, with screwdriver, bottle opener and something else -- maybe an awl -- in addition to the actual knife blade.)  And I recall those little tiny knives that were sold in the gumball machines.  And there used to be knives you could win at carnival games when the fair was in town.  Red plastic (vinyl) sheath, with a yellow plastic handle and actual steel blade.  The blade didn't have an edge on it, but it came to a very sharp point that could have done damage if someone took a notion to do so.  Boy, over half the guys in my first grade class would go for those as prizes if they won one of the carnival games.  (We used them to play pirates at recess.)

Hepcat

The claw machine in the arcade tent at the ten day September Western Fair had a very impressive knife in a leather(?) sheath with a (probably fake) bone handle and five inch blade for which every kid tried but I don't think anyone ever got.

:-\

Wolfman

Quote from: Doh! on July 20, 2018, 05:55:49 AM
My parents bought us Click Clacks, jarts, and that wind-up Time Bomb...

I'm starting to think they didn't really want kids.
Some parents used to tell their kids to go play in traffic when they were being a nuisance. 🤣 Ouch!

JP