Rumor: Lowe's Picks Up Target's Monsterville License

Started by aura of foreboding, August 13, 2020, 04:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMadScientist

Went by a couple Lowe's near me, and it looks like they all are starting to put out their Halloween stuff. The first one had a few things out, but the second pretty much had everything on shelves. I ended up only getting the window clings. There are three (Frankenstein, Mummy an Bride - all are 2 and a half feet tall) and they all come together for like $12.50. Might get the inflatable Frankenstein and projector that has slides of all the monsters, but that would be an anticipatory buy for if I get a house in a few years.

I really wish there was more stuff with the other monsters being released. It definitely feels like most of the newer merch from the past few years has excluded Dracula and the Wolfman, which honestly kills my interest in a lot of it. I assume there are licensing reasons for that, but its irritating.

Buzzybean

I rarely see any Dracula stuff. What's the consensus here on the Lugosi license? Does the family want too much money for Bela's likeness? That's the impression I've gotten over the years. And how come we don't see any Chaney Mummy stuff? It's been a real weak output of monster stuff from Universal over the years. JAWS has had a bunch of stuff released over the last several years which I am thankul for but I'm always surprised with the lack of cool monster stuff.

aura of foreboding

Chaney and Lugosi both choose to work with companies directly rather than in tandem with Universal.  It's more economical for the companies and the families get the entire fee rather than splitting with Universal.  Both have found a way to work around Universal, and we are therefore left with only Karloff in the Universal Monsters line.  The real shocker to me here is the lack of CREATURE merchandise.  Like, he's the hottest property they have, and Lowe's did not capitalize on it.  Strange. 

As for me, I'd rather get Chaney and Lugosi merchandise that isn't through Uni.  Smart companies get the three separate licenses, none overlapping, and then output under the three umbrellas. 

My big takeaway...  The best thing from the Target line was the Mummy's head.  There should have been a Frankenstein and Creature head done exactly the same.  That is a missed opportunity. 

Mike Scott

Quote from: aura of foreboding on August 19, 2020, 10:49:36 PM
The real shocker to me here is the lack of CREATURE merchandise.  Like, he's the hottest property they have . .

And you don't have to deal with relatives!  ;D
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

zombiehorror

Has anyone actually come across the window clings in store?  Neither of the two stores I checked had them and one location only had the plush Frankenstein and Bride.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gemmy.com/universal-monsters/&ved=2ahUKEwjb6PaX7MHrAhWTW80KHSNaDTgQFjAKegQIAhAC&usg=AOvVaw2o6nGE0afR4kLNf6SSb1Yq

fearliath

I did. I bought them on Thursday. Worth mentioning that the Lowe's I went to almost all of the monster stuff was NOT with the Halloween stuff. It was about 30 yards away kind of in the middle of a big aisle. Really weird placement actually.

I was somewhat surprised how much had already been sold. It was clear it had all been put out but a decent amount of each case container was already gone.

I bought the window clings and the larger projector image things (after being pressured to do so by my daughter). They did have everything there though.

aura of foreboding

I bought the clings.  The Frank and Mummy are the same designs from 2008, which were the best.  Too bad Gemmy isn't getting a Chaney and Lugosi license, 'cause I'd love to see Dracula and the Wolf Man is large window cling format using those beautiful designs. 

Buzzybean

I dropped $100 at Lowes a few days ago when I stopped there. I bought the window clings, the Frankenstein headbust with candy bowl, the Frankenstein and Bride Cloche display and the Frankenstein head light-up cloche display. I too wish they had some other monsters available. They did have a Mummy's hand that apprently walks or moves but it is twisty tied to it's box and the batteries aren't connecting so you can't see how it works. It's also made of latex which will no doubt deteriorate in the next several years so i passed on that. They should do life-size posters of the monsters; high-resolution phot prints and then hire somone like Ed Repka to do artist renderings of each monster. Those would definetly sell; people would put them on their doors.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Buzzybean on August 31, 2020, 08:56:35 PM
I dropped $100 at Lowes a few days ago when I stopped there. ... 

The more of this stuff that gets bought, the more likely the monsters will show up on the shelves of future Halloweens.
ADAM

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on August 31, 2020, 11:33:00 PM
The more of this stuff that gets bought, the more likely the monsters will show up on the shelves of future Halloweens.

If they want my money, they're gonna have to make some more Creature stuff!  ;D
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

zombiehorror

Quote from: Buzzybean on August 31, 2020, 08:56:35 PMThey did have a Mummy's hand that apprently walks or moves but it is twisty tied to it's box and the batteries aren't connecting so you can't see how it works. It's also made of latex which will no doubt deteriorate in the next several years so i passed on that.

I suppose it all depends in how you store/display it; i have latex foamed filled zombie busts that I bought in 1990 that are just now starting to show wear around the edges.  I've heard lots of people complain about the two Evil Dead Bbok of the Dead Special Editions (they came incased in a latex wrapped book of the dead) but mine are still in great shape.  But all my stuff is kept in my basement.

I purchased the Frankenstein candy dish and Mummy's hand.  Just a word of warning, if someone out there is interested in the candy dish I'd suggest getting it sooner than later, of the 4 that my local Lowes had two had the tips of their noses smashed in; not sure how easy it would be to fix.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: zombiehorror on September 01, 2020, 12:22:02 PM
...  I purchased the Frankenstein candy dish and Mummy's hand.  Just a word of warning, if someone out there is interested in the candy dish I'd suggest getting it sooner than later, of the 4 that my local Lowes had two had the tips of their noses smashed in; not sure how easy it would be to fix. 

Is the candy dish bust made of hard plastic or rubber?  The little bust looks like it is rubber - they get smashed out of shape - like the Frank doorbell the had in former years.

EDIT:

I went to some YouTube videos and found this.  Looks like it is made of REALLY thin plastic.  Maybe they could be filled with expanding foam?
ADAM

geezer butler

I went to a Lowes yesterday looking for UM stuff but they had ugatz. I asked an employee but she looked at me like I was stunad. And for some reason I'm writing this like I'm in the Sopranos.  :laugh:

Buzzybean

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on September 01, 2020, 02:00:40 PM
Is the candy dish bust made of hard plastic or rubber?  The little bust looks like it is rubber - they get smashed out of shape - like the Frank doorbell the had in former years.

EDIT:

I went to some YouTube videos and found this.  Looks like it is made of REALLY thin plastic.  Maybe they could be filled with expanding foam?

It's made of hard plastic.

zombiehorror

For anyone on the fence about this stuff or just wanting to pick it up on the cheap Lowes as it marked down to 50%; I picked up the mirror for 7 bucks.  At my local store a lot of stuff was gone but there were still a few items; Mummy's hand, vintage projector, mirror, one (the smaller version) of the two different slide show and a Frankenstein candy bucket (with smashed in nose).